Guest viewing is limited

MUA When do you start getting optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would gently stretch the quads---by this, I mean that you do not attempt aggressive stretches---jut put a heating pad on the quads that you want to stretch, warm it up, and gently stretch to the point of discomfort; do not get the urge to go further, as you will do more harm than good.

Gentle stretching means that you are are not aggressively stretching but just "loosening up" the muscle and taking it easy---preparing it to do gentle exercises such as the exer-bike, etc.
 
Unfortunately my quads have suffered so muchthrough my TKR. They were pretty weak going into my surgery.
After my manipulation, it felt like my quad was hit by a truck. I do my leg lifts every day with weights but I'm not sure how to
Stretch the muscle. I have not been able to do a full rotation in the bike but I will ask my PTAbout the stretching. Thanks
 
As I mentioned in my reply to your question, the more you try to get your quad to do one thing or another, the worse it's going to get. There are times when the best thing is to stop trying. Your body is trying to tell you something. It's not in english, it's in this other language called pain. I think if you stop and listen to your pain, you'll know what to do.
 
One thing that I did to stretch my quads after my BTKR was to sit in the sower on the shower stool and let the hot water bombard my quads. I would then move my heels back and forth under the stool---stretching the quads. Another stretch that I did was to use a heating pad on my quads to warm them up and then I would use my office chair at the computer desk and slide it forward---thus causing my quads to strech as I kept my feet in the same spot.
 
Birdie girl,
For tight IT band you can buy something called "The Stick" which is a flexible rolling stick that you can use on your band, quad and hamstring. Thye sell on Amazon for about $30 ...
a rolling pin will do the job for 0$
What does everyone mean by gentle stretching of the muscles?
See the exercise thread from my sig
Well went for physio today and it is definitely the ilio tibia band tendinitis. She did a deep massage and You could have scraped me off the ceiling.
One of the few times for us TKR people where pain is acceptable. I'd continue to get massage as much as you can.
 
Personally, I would never use a rolling pin as it does not have any flexibility to it. If your IT bands are very tight that will only make the process more painful. Using a rolling pin is somewhat like lying on the foam rollers on the floor, way too painful for me. Having the flexion in it made all the difference.
 
I feel like I am in your boat with you. I am sorry to read that another person is having so much pain and so many complications. I am sure you are beyond frustrated, I know I am.

((((((((((((Birdiegirl)))))))
 
Josephine, could you answer a question for me. Is it normal for the knee to be getting worse. As you know, I had a cortisone shot and it hasn't helped yet. (1 week) But my bend is worse and And the knee aon a whole feels more taut. I went out walking today and as soon as I get to the five minute mark as before, My knee gets very stiff on the right side and I start walking as my doctor says with a peg leg. Of course, then I come home and cry. Also, my husband and I are having this ongoing battle about my supposed tendinitis. The leg is sore even to the touch and my PY says ice but my doctor said heat. What's the verdict.
 
Adhesions are associated with synovitis, which involves a thickened synovium. This much was explained to me. Now what happens to that synovium as the knee moves is a mystery to me. Walking never bothered my knee post-TKR. Maybe your synovium is getting tangled up a bit in the workings of your new knee. I have had thickened synovium all along and my arthroscopy next week will maybe give us more info. But think about this notion -- does it apply to your knee? This type of synovitis does not respond to steroids. If you have what I have (or something similar), it's something that is poorly understood. Stay in touch! I'm here for you.
 
Ty Mary. I so appreciate your support. Frankly, I believe I am filled with scar tissue. I am going to ask my doctor about it next week. It's just ridiculous that my knee is so stiff on the side when I start walking and frankly I am fed up. The band of pressure that I feel around my knee just above the knee cap is getting worse. My PT says it doesn't look like there is swelling. I give up. So frustrating. My doctor is trying his best as he knows its his reputation as well. He is a folder like me and wants me to get back on the course. Frankly right now I just want a knee that isn't stiff. Groundhog Day.
 
This is territory that is very frustrating to the doctor and the patient. My ortho says when he mentions "arthrofibrosis" at conferences, doctors run in the other direction. I found an ortho at Duke who was treating AF and my doctor surmises that people started showing up on his doorstep with knees they'd gotten elsewhere and probably it as overwhelming. So, just hold on to the fact that the arthroscopic lysis can be (and was for me) very successful, and if this is your problem and your guy doesn't have experience with it, you can find someone else who does. Better, though, for you and your ortho to find a solution. And, hey, if push comes to shove, I'll give you my ortho's number and your OS can call my OS. Sounds weird but who knows.
 
Your frustration is understandable. I hope you find the solution soon.
 
Hi Mary, I went to the doctor today and it cost me a fortune. They are doing a CAT scan and he gave me some steroids to take for 6 days. He says that it might be that my knee was in really bad condition before surgery. I am keeping my fingers crossed. He also said it could be RSD. Don't know what that is yet.
 
Birdiegirl, hope things are going better for you. Has a doc mentioned RSD? I was diagnosed with it after a break on my other knee. Diagnosis because my leg turned purple, was cold, and painful to touch. I had several months of daily physical therapy. The therapist showed my husband how to massage my leg so I could be desensitized to the pain gradually. Most people actually need nerve blocks to deal with RSD. I was lucky. I had the parent of a student who took on the therapy for three months and I was willing to endure the pain of the therapy and exercises...I think because I trusted him, and his wife who is an occupational therapist. I can't imagine taking on that regimen while recovering from knee replacement. What makes you think it might be RSD?
 
Juniper, I went to another doctor omen the advice of my doctor and my god, it cost me a fortune. but he is a top doc. They think it could be RSD. I am on steroids for the next six days and I am having a CAT scan. My doctor thought it was Ilio band tendinitis and when my knee didn't get better from a cortisone shot he thought it might be RSD. I am getting very bad pain to the touch as well near my shin and when I walk or even flex my foot I am getting pain and stiffness on the right side of my knee. Its still a little numb there. Now I feel like my knee cap has sand under it. The doctor I saw yesterday for the second opinion says it could be RSD or it could be that my knee was so bad going in. I have read that if your knee is really bad going in with limited ROM that the replacement might not be successful. We shall see. Will let you know,
 
It means to do the stretching slowly, so that you do not "snap" the muscle. My pt recommends a gentle stretch---one that does not cause pain---and then holding that stretch for 30 seconds. You do not want to become so aggressive that you cause your knee (or any other body part) to swell or become inflamed.
 
I wonder if anyone here has had strange symptoms like me. I am experiencing extreme stiffness on the right side of my right knee. it's still partially numb and sometimes when I stand up after a minute or so, the knee gets very flat in that area. Very strange sensations when I walk and this all got worse after a cortisone shot for suspected IT Band Tendinitis. Having a CAT scan tomorrow and I am praying that its scar tissue. If its not, life will no longer be a pleasure.
 
All you are describing is perfectly normal. You knee swells a bit and when it settles, the area looks like it's gone flat. The tendonitis will settle in time and in no way do you want to pray it's adhesions, you really don't want that. Besides which, you re still only 12 weeks out which is still early days. I suggest you stop fretting and let nature take its course - it will in the end. Just might take a bit longer for you, that's all.

As for the numb area, read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom