MUA When do you start getting optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I definitely learned a lesson this week. I went to physio which was fine, went to the grocery store, which wasn't good and then in the afternoon spent three hours visiting my grandchildren and didn't elevate my leg and yesterday spent the day in bed with my leg elevated and iced the whole day. A lesson learned for sure.
 
I actually use the ball of my lot but when my knee bends there is jut a pressure tht doesn't allow me to complete the rotation.
Raise the saddle of the bike so that, with your toes on the pedal, your foot is barely touching.

Then use your other foot to rotate the pedals, slowly and gently. If you can't do a full rotation, don't worry it's a good stretch anyway.

If you can get something to attach your good foot to the pedal, so much the better. You can then move the pedal down and up with your bad leg as passenger.
 
Will try. The problem with the bike is that I get a really strange pressure in my quad when I bend my knee. It feels like my muscle is going to explode out of my skin. I did try the bike with the higher seat but that didnt work either. The doctor and PT can't figure out what's wrong. I will try what you said tomorrow when I go for physio. Ty
 
The first rotation is always the worst. The thing to remember is that your leg is NOT going to burst open. So - contrary to what I have said previously - I think you really need to go for it, but gently, very, very gently. Just do one at first. You may find some strange sensations occur but struggle on anyway. And then report back!
 
If the quad muscle is that tense I'd try to get a massage.
 
You might put some heat on the back of your knee for 5 minutes or so before you get on the bike. You might also try a distraction like TV or an Ipod and then you won't be thinking so much about the revolution and tensing against it, and all of sudden you may then just go around! But the first time is the worst. Good luck!
 
Hi Josephine, Ty for your suggestion. My doctor thought it was the same thing and I had an injection and to,or row I am off to therapy. Mill keep you posted.
 
Hi Josephine,
As I told you yesterday I got a cortisone shot. Just wanted to know something. Have you ever heard of a patient having a symptom for 1 minute and then it changes. When I walk, my knee is stiff as a board along the spot where the tendon is and then I can get up from the bed and its not there. Sometimes I can sit easily but then 5 minutes later I can't sit easily at all.
Can you explain this?
 
All the time, my dear - it's one of the curiosities of the human body!
 
As to your title question I became optomistic about my post op life at about 3 months when the worst was over and I began doing more of the fun stuff.
 
I will enjoy myself when the complications start getting better. If my walking were better, it would definitely be more fun.
 
Birdie girl,
For tight IT band you can buy something called "The Stick" which is a flexible rolling stick that you can use on your band, quad and hamstring. Thye sell on Amazon for about $30 and your PT should know of them. They work great and you can use as much as you like. You might want to investigate getting some massage therapy. My PT had me find a massage therapist who specialized in lymphatic drainage massage and I have been seeing her once a week since week two and it has been an enormous help in reducing the swelling and stiffness. Pool therapy would also help. It is to be expected that you will feel odd sensations, pulling, tightness, etc. in your leg muscles for awhile. My leg feels funny when I walk in the pool all the time, but I try to ignore it and just keep at it, as I know that my leg muscles are having to be retrained and it takes a long time. The pool therapy and spending some time in the whirlpool will help your ROM and your ability to ride the bike. I know this can be hard to do, but you need to put your knee and healing first, before grocery shopping and spending time with the grand kids. Remember, it is only temporary, but you will reap dividends by doing the things for it that she needs to heal. Their will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Walking is still the hardest thing for me too so I understand. Keep your chin up!
 
Birdiegirl, I felt the same way, that my knee would explode if I pushed it too hard on the exercise bike. I asked my husband to cup the heel on my healing leg, and he supported my leg as I went around. I think I had him do that twice more and then I trusted my leg and did it on my own. It probably strange, but it worked. I'm sure the PT would do that for you if no one drives you and stays at PT. Good luck.
 
Birdi...hang on...IT WILL get better..I am a little bit past 3 months, I had alot of that too. my depression got alot better after I got off
Percocets....Have to take tylenol and ibuprofun but I feel better and my knee feels better. I still have to baby my knee but remember the knee is the boss...It does get better... For me it was around 11 or 12 weeks
Hang in there..sending hugs...
 
Well went for physio today and it is definitely the ilio tibia band tendinitis. She did a deep massage and You could have scraped me off the ceiling. The pain was incredible. Anyone else here have this tendinitis? My PT is going to ask my
OS to get me a prescription for a TENS machine for the home.
 
Thanks all, I will take all the advice I can get and will try anything at this point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom