MUA When do you start getting optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I really overdid it . I did. XMAS jewelry shoe, stood on my leg too long and now I home trying to get the swelling down. .ughhhhh
 
hi Joesphine,

The article on "tightness across the knee" sounds like what I have and so does everything else that you have recommended I read. I have tried to explain to my doctor what is going on. I have found a sort of picture in my head, Do you know in the old movies when a man and a woman would kiss and she would lift her leg bending it at the knee in response...I can't even do that move anymore. Now what could that be. I am like a jack of all symptoms. Help!!!
 
Birdie, what is your maximum bend at this point? Is it greater than 90 degrees? It's funny that you do not mention this. I'm thinking if you're able, even with someone pushing, to bend to 100 degrees or more, then an effusion along with quad weakness are enough to explain your symptoms.
 
Right now after being on my feet this week I wouldn't know but last week before I left my PT pushed my leg to 100. My doctor says that's okay and yet I can't walk from the stiffness.
 
Would that explain not being able to bend my leg when walking. I don't understand.
 
Birdie, it seems that you are looking for answers, as we all are. However, very often the best we can do is develop some "working theories." From what you're describing, you have acceptable bend that probably will improve by 10 or 20 degrees as the swelling abates and your muscles get more with the program.

Let me re-state something that I think I relayed previously: I do not know if you have/had arthrofibrosis or not, but if that has been the case, there are a couple of things that go with that. One is synovial thickening with effusion. This causes a host of restrictive sensations. I know, because I've had them continuously for two years. At the end of the day when my effusion is worst and I'm tired, I take the stairs one at a time again. Effusion and synovial thickening also inhibits bend. TWO, the effusion can result in this thing we discussed in my thread called "arthrogenic muscle inhibition." This might explain why your leg is able to bend but does so hesitantly. Why don't you look up this condition and see if it fits?

I have been referred to a "physiatrist," which is a doctor specializing in physical rehabilitation medicine. I haven't been yet. But if you have insurance that covers, you might consider getting a similar referral.
 
What you have described re effusion and synovial thickening sounds like what I am experiencing. I looked up the arthogenic muscle inhibition and that fits too. I have made notes and I am seeing my doctor next Monday and hopefully there is an answer there. I do know that I have to found out why I still can't ride the bike because I need to work on my ROM and build up my quad which is better but still weak. Thanks for the help Mary. One of the reasons I am searching so hard is that other than the cortisone shot I had for suspected ilio band tendinitis my doctor doesn't know what going on and the scan just show an effusion. But now I have some possible theories so that may help him understand at least what I am feeling judging by the symptoms.
 
Wish me luck. Going to the doctor tomorrow to find out the next course of action. STill dragging my leg when I walk.
 
Oh good luck - hope you come back with something positive.
 
Well, went for my appointment. My range of motion is around 100. My doctor till thinks judging by my pain that it is the IT band so I had another cortisone shot. He also injected a little cortisone into a spot that is still sore on the other side of my knee near the knee cap. That was on Monday. I told my OS that I can do squats, lunges etc but as soon as I have to stand or walk that is where the problem begins. Today I had to go to pick some merchandise and I was standing for about 15 minutes when the stiffness really got going. By the time I left the place where I had been about 45 minutes, I could hardly drag my leg. My car was about 100 steps away and I honestly don't kow ow I made it between the pain and th stiffness. I give up........No one can figure it out. Something happens when I walk or stand. My doctor wants to wait a while to see how the shot works and then he might go in to look for scar tissue.
 
These things can take time to sort out, Birdie. There's rarely a quick fix.
 
I see that. But it's so frustrating because if you can't walk your life is limited.
 
Birdiegirl123, I have no answers for you, but wanted to send you big hugs! This knee replacement has been hell for you and then the MUA. I am 15 weeks out today. My last measurement was 105 on bend and 11-12 on my straightening. But unlike you I can walk. One thing that is helping me is the treadmill. I just discovered it, and it is helping me walk a bit better and limp less. I sure hope you can find some answers, maybe a second opinion is needed. Giant hugs!
 
Need a big hug. Had a cortisone shot and I have had many through my sports injuries and this one actually has made things much worse. I am in total pain. Cannot stand or walk much t all. so I guess, the pain is not from an inflammation but either scar tissue or the nerve that was cut. So fed up and then my older daughter may be very ill. Waiting for test results . Life is just awful sometimes.
 
Birdie, all these hugs are just for you. Sure hope you're feeling better soon.


[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
[Bonesmart.org] When do you start getting optimistic
It will get better.
 
Birdie, my heart goes out to you! Enduring a painful wait for news of your daughter's health and the shock of an unexpectedly painful cortisone shot all at once is a lot to bear up under. I hope you get good news SOON on both fronts -- Hugs,

Momba
 
Birdie, that just sucks. When it rains, it pours.

I had to take care of my elderly mom with dementia during my knee recovery. It was tough.

You have more important things right now, but when you catch a break, perhaps a second opinion?
 
Birdie, I have read through your thread and if you could explain a little more about not being able to walk. I am perplexed, because of the squats and other things you are doing. I wouldn't have anymore cortisone shots if I were you! They don't seem to help but then you have to face the pain! Owwwww! :console2:
 
Trying to get a doctor to see at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NY but not too many doctors will see me post op 4 months.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom