Guest viewing is limited

MUA When do you start getting optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see by your info and by another response today that yes those are my symptoms. I am fretting because my ROM after a manipulation and the cortisone shot is worse. I have developed terrible stiffness in that area and actually can't walk more than a minute when the stiffness becomes so bad that I am walking like a pirate with a peg leg. Pain doesn't bother me but stiffness does and whie I am trying not to fret it's hard when you can't walk.
 
I'm looking for anyone who might be having the following symptoms. Since my surgery which was August 8th, I feel a tremendous pressure in my quad. Just sitting with my knee bent and flexing my foot brings on this feeling of tremendous pressure just above my knee and in the quad area. It feels as though my muscle is going to burst through my skin and its very painful. I also have not been able to ride the bike at all because of this pain. Any help out there please?
 
Aww Birdie I am sorry you are so miserable. Unfortunately, I have no experience to share. But hopefully I will move your post back up and someone who knows, will be along soon. Hugs!
 
birdiegirl, I had my left knee reconstructed when I was in my teens, over 45 years ago. I still have a patch that is numb over that area. It's gotten less numb over the years, and if it gets knocked, it's hugely painful, but truly, I have just gotten used to it. I don't kneel. Not a big deal. I can walk fine on that leg. I am almost ten months post op and, yes, there are little patches of numbness, on my TKR knee, but not as bad as the other. For me, the thing is how stiff and tight my knee still is. If I'm standing for a half hour it swells and hurts. The other day, one of my fifth grade students said excitedly, "Jane, you're walking so well." I realized I was. Almost no limp at all. Returning to work too early and then balancing work, exercise, icing and rest has been a huge challenge for me. And my knee is just taking a long time to heal. But it IS healing. Sometimes, the healing feels so slow that you don't realize it. It takes someone else to notice and comment. Thank you, Raina...my observant student.
 
Juniper thank you for your comments. You actually made "me" feel better. I am 10 weeks out, and so stiff and swollen all the time and so frustrated with it. Its really affecting my ROM.

Birdiegirl, I hope things start improving for you soon. Big Hugs!
 
Hi Juniper, it's not the numbness. I don't care about that that right now. My problem is that I can't bend my knee when I walk. I get terrible stiffness in that area and my knee refuses to bend. Actually just flexing my toes, being on the strange pain in the area on the right. I have also lost ROM. We shall see. I just had a CAT scan and I am expecting the results on Thrusday. they thought it might be tndinitis but now that don't think so.
 
Is it normal to have a lot of pain and sweklling after being on your feet for just 20-30 minutes?
 
Birdie, it's impossible to answer these questions without your surgery dates in your signature. You can see the rest of us do that. Would you please be a dear and put your dates in your signature?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.

But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being 7th August 2000 rather than 2/8/00 or 8/2/00.

This also applies to anyone else who is reading here and doesn't yet have their dates in their signature. Thank you.
 
Hi Josephine. Just got the results of my CT scan and the only thing it shows is some swelling in the suprapatellar bursa.
I am so discouraged at this point. My knee has become so stiff on the right side. it's difficult to walk. now my
Doctor thinks its RSD and I don't believe him. I am not in any pain at physio just when I walk cause it gets stiff right away and about 10
Minutes after walking that is when the pain sets in. Any suggestions. I want him to go in and see if there is scar tissue.
I had a manipulation at 7 weeks and my ROM was poor but I didn't have such terrible stiffness.
 
Oh darn. Went out yesterday or two hours and I am elevating my leg today and can hardly bend it. Geez when does this get better.
 
The fact your problem gets worse when you overdo it suggests that swelling is at least part of the problem. So it behooves you to go on a strict RICE routine: rest, ice, elevation.

Good luck tomorrow. What I mean by that is I hope you and your ortho come to some understandings that make you feel that things are moving in the right direction and/or a plan develops that feels right to you.
 
Thanks for th encouraging words. It's so frustrating . I have had to it my business on hold so my days are kind of boring and it's three months now along with the pain and fear that this is it. I have been reading that when one's knee is really bad going into surgery, the results are sometimes not that good. But I have made up my list of questions and we shall see.
 
I firmly believe your issues will get sorted out. Sometimes it takes time. You're still early in recovery. No, seriously, three months is early consider the one-year theoretical recovery frame. Anyhow, some things just work themselves out in time, and sometimes there's a problem that takes time to figure out. You notice the word "time" keeps cropping out? It's the best healer (and no side effects).

Feeling that life is not working is bad and not knowing what's wrong with the knee nevermind what will make it better so that you can move on in life is pretty difficult. But, trust me, someday you will look back and only remember it was a troubled time without remembering all the details because that's what has happened to me!!
 
maryo52 I found a list of docs who "have demonstrated success in treating arthrofibrosis". Two of them are closer to your part of the world. Dr. Thomas Wickiewicz New york City, NY.' Dr. Thomas Sculco New YorK, NY and Dr. Thomas Gill, Boston, MA.

I have read of Dr. Gill---I met a woman on another website who thought he was a wonderful doc---both in terms of being so nice and in being so skilled. The others are in the midwest and far west, but I thought you might like to look these docs up. Kelly
 
Birdiegirl I had my ltkr on August 30th and did not have a MUA, and sweetie I still am having issues too. I did some walking on Friday, and Saturday I was miserable and achey from walking. I think your MUA did more harm than good, as your swelling was the issue before it and the MUA just made it worse. Want to send you some BIG and gentle hugs! Let us know what the doc says.
 
Birdie, didn't you see your ortho yesterday?

skigirl when I was in what seemed to be interminable ROM pergatory, I told my ortho I'd been doing some online research, and there was a clinic in Colorado, the Steadman Clinic, where they treated people with arthrofibrosis. My ortho chuckled and said he did a fellowship there. Which is maybe why is didn't hesitate to go in arthroscopically and deal with it when my ROM went backward after MUA (just like you, Birdie).
 
Mary, I do remember that he was trained at Steadman. I saw my pt today and my kneecap is still moving freely. Since I had 8 weeks where I did almost nothing, I am still not in the kind of shape that I would like to be in. Essentially, I had five months this time instead of seven. I still have some quad weakness--although I am much stronger. I have started a series of six exercises which I do three times a day in a desperate attempt to get my quad where it needs to be. Kelly
 
Kelly, I'm to see a physiatrist next month for quad strengthening as I have "arthrogenic muscle inhibition." I guess this is common in the presence of joint effusions. Another knee friend (not TKR but damaged from a fall) has been referred to a physiatrist, so we're going to buddy up.

Hi Birdie -- Keep your chin up hon. It will get sorted out. Maybe not today unfortunately.
 
I am totally discouraged and feeling really down. I had the .ct scan and it showed a swelling in the suprapatellar bursa and my doctor doesn't feel that it warrants draining the fluid. the doctor that my doctor sent me to for a consultation gave me a prescription for Prednesone and now I am experiencing an irregular heart beat. I had to stop the medication half way through. My doctor isn't really sure what's going on and I'm tired of explaining it. right now my leg for some reason is swollen and I can hardly bend it. Last night I went out for diner and I could barely walk because I get this awful stiffness on the right side and then I can't walk at all. Too boot, I started getting such a bad pain in my other leg, that I actually burst into tears when I got into the car. Can scar tissue cause you to have pain when walking or make your swell when standing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom