THR Welshgirls recovery 'Ok Fab Four here we go!!!

Do hope you are feeling better today Welshgirl.
And you know ice really also is a pain reliever..so I'm guessing you are staying frozen all you can.
Just thought about that, really. I iced so much but it was dead hot summer and even with AC on I would put blanket on my shoulders. Don't know how you're weather is but glad I wasn't wearing ice all winter as I freeze when it gets under 60F.
Hoping you have a Good Day today.:curtsey:
 
Hi @Welshgirl
Sure hope your pain has diminished by now. Hopefully the meds are helping.
Try lots of ice, I found it so beneficial. Recovery does have its ups and downs early on.
I hope today is brighter for you.
Wishing you a week of peaceful rest and healing!
 
Hi guys

So good to hear from you all, thank you for the good wishes I am feeling much better after resting, icing and most importantly keeping my meds up! Who would have though a lunch out would be so exhausting!!!

However yesterday was such a fun day filled with such achievements!!!

I actually showered and dressed completely (including knickers!!!) all by myself for the first time in just under 2 weeks!!! Yikes the thrill I had after doning it was unbelievable ha ha the wonders of that little grabber!!!

I even managed to pick up a single Bran Flake (cereal) that was on the kitchen floor and put it in the bin without breaking it!!! "The Grabber" is a whole new world of entertainment for sure ha ha

Having said that where there are fun times there are also frustrating times..... I just have to choose my battles on which ones to get upset about and which ones to just let go... if that makes sense!

The biggest thing I'm struggle with right now is being so restricted and having so much time in my hands. An hour can seem like a day! I bought several books and a few puzzles to keep me busy but I'm unable to concentrate on anything! Is this normal?
I have started three books but not continued with one... started a puzzle but it's sat on the kitchen table with not even the outline finished! Hubby is back at work so missing him! Most of my family is in the UK so no one lives nearby to be visiting. Have a few friends some have called by but I know everyone is so busy in there own right to be calling by more often. Oh my goodness sounds like I'm having a 'pity party' :0(

This is what I'm like right now a true roller coaster! Start so positive then dip right down at the end!!!
Thank you guys on here for being a constant xxx
 
Hi guys

So good to hear from you all, thank you for the good wishes I am feeling much better after resting, icing and most importantly keeping my meds up! Who would have though a lunch out would be so exhausting!!!

However yesterday was such a fun day filled with such achievements!!!

I actually showered and dressed completely (including knickers!!!) all by myself for the first time in just under 2 weeks!!! Yikes the thrill I had after doning it was unbelievable ha ha the wonders of that little grabber!!!

I even managed to pick up a single Bran Flake (cereal) that was on the kitchen floor and put it in the bin without breaking it!!! "The Grabber" is a whole new world of entertainment for sure ha ha

Having said that where there are fun times there are also frustrating times..... I just have to choose my battles on which ones to get upset about and which ones to just let go... if that makes sense!

The biggest thing I'm struggle with right now is being so restricted and having so much time in my hands. An hour can seem like a day! I bought several books and a few puzzles to keep me busy but I'm unable to concentrate on anything! Is this normal?
I have started three books but not continued with one... started a puzzle but it's sat on the kitchen table with not even the outline finished! Hubby is back at work so missing him! Most of my family is in the UK so no one lives nearby to be visiting. Have a few friends some have called by but I know everyone is so busy in there own right to be calling by more often. Oh my goodness sounds like I'm having a 'pity party' :0(

This is what I'm like right now a true roller coaster! Start so positive then dip right down at the end!!!
Thank you guys on here for being a constant xxx
@Welshgirl I'm in a similar frame of mind today! Feeling quite flat this afternoon. I really don't like being so dependent but I know it's not forever. Hubby is asking what's wrong but I don't really know what to tell him. Tomorrow will be a brighter day :) I have one of my lovely little dogs cuddled up on my lap and hubby beside me. He's promised to make his yummy cheese on toast for tea. Hope you're feeling cheerier soon.
 
Ahhhh @Gretel so good to hear from you :o) so glad you have your one of your lovely little dogs close for a cuddle x I feel so sorry for our hubbies, mine does so much for me he melts my heart. I try so hard not to get upset in front of him as I know he hates it, he just wants to fix me and make it all go away! He is doing that by being such a help!
However the sun is shining and @EmEm I am able to sit outside which is a blessing and uplifting :0)
Need to keep those positive vibes going as I'm not used to the 'woe is me' feelings ;0/
Thanks for being there ladies :loveshwr::roseshwr: big hugs to you both
And @Gretel hope the special cheese on toast is delicious xxx
 
@Welshgirl you sound much brighter today. I envy you the sunshine because it’s 10C here and very gloomy. You probably won’t need the ‘sock aid’ either but i can’t go around with bare feet. It’s a good idea but I’m not managing it well.

I have tried various things to fill the time including reading. I have read a book but it was something that could only be described as ‘romantic fiction’. I have jigsaws on my iPad and can cope with that too but my most favourite has been a colouring book and new felt pens. I’m a professional graphic designer so it’s quite funny to be colouring in someone else’s design but I love it.

I had visitors, cards, email when I first came out of hospital but everyone’s lives go on as normal whilst we recover.

Enjoy your sunshine!
 
Am I the only one still wearing the dreaded stockings? I can manage to shower and dress but can't manage them.
 
@Gretel I didn’t ever have any stockings. It was the best bit of news I was given post op.

Perhaps being bilateral makes you more at risk.
 
After that initial adrenaline rush of Yes, I got through surgery..to Yay I'm home...those post op blues will creep in. Then you got the meds which can get your moods a-swinging. :bawl:
My concentration was the pits too...thank goodness, all temporary and all to a good end.
Hope all the Fab 4 have a peaceful week.
 
Hi @Welshgirl
Happy to hear you're back on track after your day out last weekend.

I remember that awesome feeling of achievement after my first shower alone and NOT needing
help with my underwear! Loved that grabber too! To me it's the only piece of equipment used in all of this that I still have an affection for, lol! Think about it.....it brings joy when it assists you in grabbing something you don't have the flexibility to pick up. I'm 5'6 but have a deep wash machine basin and deep clothes dryer and I still use it to grab things way down or way back in the dryer, it's my new friend, now living in our laundry room.. Lol!

Recovery is a roller coaster of emotions. Your body just took on a major surgery. You're tired, feeling pain at times, frustrated at times, bored, hyper emotional. All normal! I do remember lack of concentration as well
as a sluggish memory. It all slowly improves. During recovery I took an interest at times in coloring in one
of those adult coloring books you see so many of nowadays. I bought a good set of coloring pencils. You can use felt tip markers also. These coloring books are a little more tedious, so therefore time consuming, and kind of addictive in the sense you want to see the finished product. It's not something you'd want to do every day but just another option to cure boredom.

You sound great....keep up the good work. You're on your way.
May each day be brighter than the last!
 
I had bought several books to read during my recovery, too, and I had some hand sewing all ready to do but for whatever reason, during the first week to ten days I just could not concentrate on anything long enough to do much of anything. From what I have read, I think it is a result of the anesthesia. I am not a big tv person so I spent hours on my IPad, most of which I think were on BoneSmart. I found it helpful to read others posts, follow those whose surgery was near mine, including @Mojo333 , and trying to help any who posted in the preop forum. I should also point out that I did plenty of napping those first two weeks as I felt quite tired even though I was sleeping fairly well at night. Healing from the surgery takes a lot out of us and our bodies need time to recover. By about two weeks I finally started a book and was able to read it and I got a bit of sewing done.

You will be able to concentrate more as time goes on @Welshgirl and before you know it, you'll be walking around more, too. It seems like a long road when you look ahead but at any point if you look back to the day of your surgery or the day you came home, you can see how very far you have come. It just takes a very lot of patience, patience, and more patience . Sending positive healing thoughts your way :flwrysmile:
 
A question.....So, what is tea? I know what tea is but...
What do you mean when you say "Hubby promised to make yummy cheese on toast for tea."
Is tea like our lunch I'm wondering? Or just a customary break at some point during the day for a beverage and snack? Possibly similar to what we call a "coffee break" here in the US while at our jobs?
I find these customs interesting with many of us being so geographically distanced from one another.
Whatever it means....it sounds lovely!
@Gretel
 
@Welshgirl
Oops, so sorry! I just realized I de-railed your thread with the "tea" question directed at Gretel.
I forget who's house I'm playing in while on your, Gretel and EmEm's thread. You three are all so
connected (which I love) due to your shared surgery date. Weezie too...when she visits!
I need to pay better attention where I'm posting :what:
 
Ha ha no worries @Layla as you say we are all connected :0) in the uk 'Tea' can mean Dinner! So I'm assuming @Gretel in Australia means the same thing! ;o)

@EmEm my daughter has sent some of the adult coloring books from the uk but they haven't arrived yet... I'm looking forward to them! And @Gretel i didn't have to have the surgical stocking either... sorry!!!

@GrannyC @Mojo333 and @Layla as always thank you for taking the time to send me messages. It certainly helps to read your lovely posts for reassurance, comfort and positive thoughts. knowing that all of these feelings etc are normal and that I'm not going nuts is a huge help!!
Thank you :flwrysmile:
 
Ah yes tea = dinner lol Well I'm feeling most put out about the stockings!
 
Well my clips came out today!!! And I have to say it's looking pretty good! Scar still swollen and bumpy but hopefully that will all settle down in the next few weeks. The nurse said to keep it uncovered but I've put a covering on it for now as there is a part which rubs against my underwear and I'm a bit nervous about agravating it!
After feeling pretty low the past couple of days I'm happy to say I'm Feeling a whole lot better today :0)
I've been having a 'pity party' for myself.. think it's due to the fact that being home alone all day every day doing nothing is hard work! An hour feels like a day! I'm constantly wishing the time away! However today was a trip out to the doctors followed by lunch... the small things in life right now are making a huge impact :0)

Happy Friday to you all :flwrysmile::yes!::yay:
 
Hey @Welshgirl
Oh my stars, I go down memory lane with you four.
Cabin fever, post op blues...
This is going to take forever I was thinking.
Try to remember it is all temporary and hope you have some company this weekend.
Guess you saw I derailed EmEm's thread trying to check on you.
Don't know how that happens but mostly I'm on my phone so limited visibility.
Keep hanging in there:yes:
 
So sorry you were feeling a bit out of sorts @Welshgirl
It seems to happen to us all. Once boredom / frustration sets
in, which it inevitably does, it's easy to feel down. Good news is you found
your way back! It's amazing what an outing to a doctor appt and a little lunch
can do to banish the blues. There are so many moments of realization in this recovery
where we see all we once took for granted. In the end, it's a good thing. It reminds
us of our blessings!
Best wishes for a fabulous weekend! :loveshwr:

PS If you start feeling down again.....call on us to lift you up.
Someone is always ready and willing to help.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom