THR Welshgirls recovery 'Ok Fab Four here we go!!!

Wow what a roller coaster of a ride this journey is!!!!

I have gone from an amazing happy, feeling on top of the world post yesterday morning to feeling horrendous this morning :0(

After a great morning feeling good I went to my 2nd day of Physio feeling optermistic and ready to work out! Now I don't know if I did something wrong or just over did it but last night I was in agony! Sharp shooting pains through my groin, lower back excruciating and throbbing knee joint pain :0(
I could not get comfortable at all, sitting, lying standing you name it I tried everything I could to elevate the pain Ended up in floods of tears which really frightened my hubby as I couldn't stop. It must be hard to watch someone you love in so much pain, he felt helpless!

Took painkillers and went to bed. Eventually managed to get some sleep but have woken up this morning feeling like I did right after surgery, I could cry again! I'm supposed to be going to physio again this morning at 10am but that is so not going to happen! I have read a lot of posts on here to know that too much PT isnt always good for you however I have gone along with the 'experts' who have recommended this thinking it was the right thing to do! I'm gong to listen to what my body is saying and not push it too much. I feel here in Cyprus especially that it can sometimes be about the money and too many appointments can be made!

I'm not worried that I've done some permanent damage! Thankful I Will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow so I can get some reassurance!
 
@Welshgirl - sorry to hear about your pain. You are probably right in that you likely just overdid things. I'm optimistic your surgeon will confirm that you didn't do any long term damage and that hopefully will help ease any concerns. My OS didn't seem to care whether or not I went to PT. Perhaps that is because I was in pretty good shape going into the surgery. I'm at week 4 today and still haven't gone (although he did write me a prescription for it in case I wanted to go at my 8 day visit when they took out my staples). I've continued doing the hospital exercises at least once every day and do a lot of walking. I'm walking about 2-3 miles a day overall comprised of 1-2 walks of about 1 mile/30 minutes and the rest just moving about doing normal things. That seems to have worked well for me. I'm pretty sure the others here will echo for you to listen to your body and don't force yourself if it hurts... Best hopes things will look up for you tomorow!
 
@Welshgirl - sorry to hear about your pain. You are probably right in that you likely just overdid things. I'm optimistic your surgeon will confirm that you didn't do any long term damage and that hopefully will help ease any concerns. My OS didn't seem to care whether or not I went to PT. Perhaps that is because I was in pretty good shape going into the surgery. I'm at week 4 today and still haven't gone (although he did write me a prescription for it in case I wanted to go at my 8 day visit when they took out my staples). I've continued doing the hospital exercises at least once every day and do a lot of walking. I'm walking about 2-3 miles a day overall comprised of 1-2 walks of about 1 mile/30 minutes and the rest just moving about doing normal things. That seems to have worked well for me. I'm pretty sure the others here will echo for you to listen to your body and don't force yourself if it hurts... Best hopes things will look up for you tomorow!
@Welshgirl you poor thing. It seems a fine line with balancing everything doesn't it?? Hopefully this will be a minor glitch and you'll be back on track. I've been feeling bad for my hubby too with all the tears! This is the first day since surgery I've not cried. The days not over yet though.... Lol
I overdid the bowel helpers yesterday and had a tummy upset. The nurse this morning asked if I wanted coloxl and I told her definitely not. Everything was working very well. She then proceeded to give me the liquid one. Can't think what it's called. Luckily I asked before I took it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Hey @dapplega thank you for that, Sounds as though you are doing really well which is great news :o)
I look forward to the day when I'm where you are!
I'm only 7 days post surgery and have had 5 PT sessions which now even writhing that seems very excessive! The physio visited me in hospital straight after surgery and I've seen him every day apart from the weekend!
My surgeon recommended PT as I'm not able to weight bare for 4-6weeks so regular walking is not an option for me right now, which is a shame as I love to walk!
Hubby and I just chatted and have decided I'm not going back to the Physio today and will reassess with surgeon when we see him tomorrow.
Just when I was getting a handle on the pain level I'm right back to where I was this time last week :0(
Thanks for listening to me!
 
Oh my goodness @Gretel if Its not one thing it's another!!!

One day we will be laughing about this.......I really hope we do!!!:rofsign:

Got to say having you guys around is helping me through this thank you!
 
Oh my goodness @Gretel if Its not one thing it's another!!!

One day we will be laughing about this.......I really hope we do!!!:rofsign:

Got to say having you guys around is helping me through this thank you!
Yes helping me a lot. Looking back the most difficult things were managing to move across the bed to get out of it and the whole toilet dramas! Would have been easier to have the catheter until I could make it to the bathroom. I think I will remember the first night without the catheter for quite sometime! It was in the early hours that I messaged Mojo333 and told her how scared I was. She made me feel so much better [emoji4] And now I'm a bit teary again!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
@Gretel you are so amazingly brave, I do not know how you managed the toilet by yourself that first night! I was lucky to a) only have the one hip done and b) to have a catheter till the day I left hospital (3days!) how you accomplished it I will never know.... amazing x
I love that you have @Mojo333 by your side to give you that first hand knowledge, advice and much needed comfort :roseshwr:
There are many wonderful people on here who give so much comfort to new and old members @Layla @GrannyC @Irish Joe to name just a few wish I could list you all!

Keep smiling @Gretel thinkng of you xxx
 
@Gretel you are so amazingly brave, I do not know how you managed the toilet by yourself that first night! I was lucky to a) only have the one hip done and b) to have a catheter till the day I left hospital (3days!) how you accomplished it I will never know.... amazing x
I love that you have @Mojo333 by your side to give you that first hand knowledge, advice and much needed comfort :roseshwr:
There are many wonderful people on here who give so much comfort to new and old members @Layla @GrannyC @Irish Joe to name just a few wish I could list you all!

Keep smiling @Gretel thinkng of you xxx
The wonderful people in here have kept me sane :) Hubby is bringing chicken and chips for tea and we're going to eat together. So looking forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Hey @dapplega thank you for that, Sounds as though you are doing really well which is great news :o)
I look forward to the day when I'm where you are!
I'm only 7 days post surgery and have had 5 PT sessions which now even writhing that seems very excessive! The physio visited me in hospital straight after surgery and I've seen him every day apart from the weekend!
My surgeon recommended PT as I'm not able to weight bare for 4-6weeks so regular walking is not an option for me right now, which is a shame as I love to walk!
Hubby and I just chatted and have decided I'm not going back to the Physio today and will reassess with surgeon when we see him tomorrow.
Just when I was getting a handle on the pain level I'm right back to where I was this time last week :0(
Thanks for listening to me!
@Welshgirl that's not good. I hope you're improving soon and sounds like giving the pt a miss is a good idea. Hugs!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
@Welshgirl Kudos to you for deciding what's best for you. I am very fit for 54 I think. Not sports athletic, but am in good shape and after the first few PT sessions I decided that new hip, and stem inserted into my femer and stretched around muscles, tendons, nerves, etc...just need time to HEAL. No point in aggravating. I could do gentle stretching, walking and moving and let my body get over that trauma and didn't feel it jeopardized range of motion or tone. All that can be worked on in time. Bones need time to heal.
Hope you will have an uneventful day...ice, rest, elevate. Walk, not to excess and as you proceed to heal.
All of these bonesmart mantras contributed to my phenomenal recovery, I feel.
We all have different journeys, but NO hip pain is worth the trip.
 
Hi @Welshgirl
Oh, oh.....someone's trying to sneak into the ODIC :kickedout:
You may have heard what ODIC stands for around here "Over Did It Club"
Many have gained access, but no one likes it :bignono:
I'm sure you didn't do any permanent damage, just overdid it a bit.
In skipping physio I'll bet you'll recover quickly.

All kidding aside.....I'm sorry to hear you had such a down day after feeling so great the day before.
Recovery can be a bit of a roller coaster ride with pain and emotions. I recall tears, usually over nothing big. Later...upon reflection, I'd laugh at myself wondering what I was blubbering about earlier. Crazy ride, this recovery is! It sounds like you have a very loving support system in your husband. You are blessed.
Your good natured personality, great sense of humor and ability to bounce back will truly benefit you in recovery.
You're going to do great!
Best wishes for a night of well managed pain and peaceful sleep.
Sending love and a hug your way....
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Layla and @Mojo333 always for sure kind words.... and for keeping me sane!!!!!

I did cancel my PT appointment and so glad I did as it turned into a long uncomfortable day... I can't sit, stand, lay down in any position that gives me relief! I messaged the physiotherapist telling him I was not up to a visit and how I was in pain from the day before.... he called me twice (throughout the day) to see how I was doing and to tell me that my pain was not from exercising (which it very well may be) he said the session could not have given me the groin pain that I have. Also said that I need to continue with PT if I want to get better! He is a very nice man for sure and I would normally just go ahead with what the 'professionals' say, however You guys and BS have given me the confidence to sit back and take stock of what is going on instead of agreeing with everything!

Thankfully today is 'See Surgeon' day and I can't wait! My groin pain is quite accute and I have a solid hard lump at the top of my insicion which is worrying me. I have lots of questions to which I hope I get answers to and a bit of 'peace of mind!'

@Gretel hope your chicken &chips for dinner was good and that today has so far been a good one :0)
 
@Welshgirl ... Sorry you had another bad day but good for you in listening to your body and standing up for yourself... Trusting your surgeon will have good and encouraging news and possibly some different directions or ideas to help with your recovery... Stay strong and positive... D
 
How are you @Welshgirl? How did your appointment go? Hope you're feeling a bit better xx

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Also said that I need to continue with PT if I want to get better!
Well I have to disagree. Unfortunately most in-hospital PTs have targets and they want everyone to be on the same program. It just doesn't work that way. Everyone heals differently.

Keep listening to that new hip. It will quickly tell you when you have done too much.
 
@Welshgirl I hope you feel better today and were reassured by your surgeon. My follow-up appointment isn't until 7 weeks post-op so quite a long time away. I will have a physio appointment at 2 weeks post-op but that is with a local private one which is paid for by the insurer. I will go for reassurance but not for an exercise plan!
 
My opinion, for what it is worth.
I totally disagree with the nice PT man. Groin pain is a perfect sign of excessive PT.
It's been ONE week for crying out loud. That incision has hardly begun to heal, those muscles and tendons got enough pulling on during surgery that all they are saying right now is leave me alone right now.
Told my OS I dropped the PT after week one...and did just at home stuff mostly walking especially until week 3. Went on to another PT at week 5 and only for easy low rep stuff that I stopped when pain ensued. So I could do few several times per day on my own, rather than trying to cram in piles at the 1 hour session.
My OS didn't complain a bit when I strutted in straight and tall at 6 weeks post-op and hardly any complaints except numbness, and SoME groin and butt pain.
You are doing good...don't let anyone push you.
 
So after my check up today the Doc seems to think that the pain is coming from a couple of things... firstly the actual trauma of operation on the bones. A lot of banging etc went on especially with the added complication of stubborn femur.so bones bruised along with muscle areas which is to be expected.

Secondly lower back pain radiating through to hip due to long time in awkward position in theatre. Suggested heat treatments on lower back and has given me extra pain relief which I've just taken and fell fast asleep for an hour.....I'm happy with that mind you that could be from being out all morning... knackered!

Also went to see the pushy physiotherapist to pay him and to tell him I won't be back!

My surgeon however does want me to keep up with the PT So I have made an appointment with another physiotherapist who comes highly recommend and is more local. Will go along tomorrow and see what he has to say but will have the confidence to know how much/ little I need to do!

The hard lump on the incision he 'thinks' is due to some internal stitches!!! And he has to keep an eye on that next week when the staples come out!!!

So do I feel better... I guess so! Will see how today goes... but feeling better with this lovely fuzzy painkiller ha ha xxx
 
All sounds perfectly acceptable to me. When you read so much on this site it starts sounding almost trivialized as so many are going through it.
But it is MAJOR surgery and major trauma. Glad you got some relief.
One of my incisions still has baby bump under skin but I could feel those bigger stitches conspicuously for first weeks. Easy does it and GOOD for you on the PT change.
I hate to complain or second guess even at the hairdresser. But your body, your recovery, your side effects. As someone here mentioned, PTs can be well trained but I know mine never had bilateral hip replacement.
If you've never had a baby, don't tell me what it feels like, know what I mean?
 
Thank you @dapplega for your positivity and and good wishes :0) @Gretel and @EmEm feeling better after a visit with surgeon to get some questions answered and for reassurance that all is ok and is going as expected!
@Jaycey i really did feel that the physiotherapist was very pushy and have today told him I won't be back! However I have booked to see another physio as my surgeon would like me to follow a few things up with hip and lower back however I feel very positive that I will be strong in what I will or won't be able to do, thank you for your advice.
.@Mojo333 you are my heroine and I take heed in all that you say again thank you for all of your advice
:loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom