TKR Well, this is un-fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood, we were ready to move down to Key a West six years ago but my mom got sick. We took care of her until she passed last year.
 
A rainy Sunday equals achy knee, really hoped that would stop happening after the TKR. Off work tomorrow so plenty of time to ice and read, might even start packing my books. :reading:
 
Weather is definitely a factor. We've had a few stormy rainy days /nightshere the past week. My knees were aching and stiff. My sister, who had a TKR many years ago, "sing" to her in rainy or cold weather.

This does get better. It seemed to me like the first months improvement was faster, sill slower than I wanted though. Then things slowed down, my focus slowly moved from my knees to my life. Sometimes I'd think nothing was happening until I looked back at how far I had come. It's incremental at almost 2 years for one and 16 months for the other. You don't realize how much things have changed until you find yourself doing something you thought you'd never do again. Good Luck!
 
Thanks, Ruthanne, sure look forward to thinking about something other than my knee!
 
I remember the first day that I spent without thinking the word Knee once!! Nirvana!! I also use the pool quite a bit in my recovery---I used to wear a belt and then "run" in the deep end for 30 min. It increased my rom and my stamina.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the first day that I spent without thinking the word Knee once!! Nirvana!! I also use the pool quite a bit in my recovery---I used to wear a belt and then "run" in the deep end for 30 min. It increaded my rom and my stamina.
@skigirl you wouldn't happen to have a link to any sites or videos showing aquatic exercises for a TKR, by any chance?

I'm going to try what a couple of others have suggested but I learn much better by seeing things first, rather than just reading about them. I tried googling but came up with technical PT stuff, not lay person stuff.
 
I am looking forward to those days. I have already had some reflection during my PT when I got on the bike. I got all the way around and kept pedaling. pT came out shook her head smiled and said I was ornery, I wasn't supposed to be able to do that yet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Holy cow, miserable night last night, nothing I did could stop the ache. I'm one of the seemingly rare ones here in that I sleep well at night... not last night, flip, flop, get up walk around, ice, flip flop. Took today off from work and am taking it easy, I think the problem was the weather, sure hope this doesn't go on forever!

:blackcloud:
 
Hope it is just a fluke, body is probably making a slight adjustment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry you had a bad night, since I've returned to work my nights have been cruel. I am wondering if it could be weather related as we have had some storms. I'll let you know after tonight. Praying it's better for you!


Brenda
 
Slept better last night, nine whole hours and I'm still tired. Working four hours today and then home to ice and nap.
 
Holy cow, miserable night last night, nothing I did could stop the ache. I'm one of the seemingly rare ones here in that I sleep well at night... not last night, flip, flop, get up walk around, ice, flip flop. Took today off from work and am taking it easy, I think the problem was the weather, sure hope this doesn't go on forever!

:blackcloud:
Exactly what happened to me! Rainy weather, barely slept because I was in pain almost all night. Feel bad about taking the day off today but I'm just too achy and worn out.
 
Glad you took a day off, SZ! This is just nuts, being up all night and then trying to work, I could barely do that in my 20's, I sure can't do it now.
 
I took yesterday off, glad I did, knee was really sore after my self inflicted MUM( manipulation under me).


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is important to note that, even though you have returned to work, the healing is still going on. You will still have some "down days." You have to roll with it and you are wise to take time off---ice and elevate and remember tht a true recovery takes upward to a year.

These boogers will subside after a while, and, down the road, you will have fewer and fewr of these days---and then they will disappear.
 
I have to have an "emergency" meeting with the state retirement folks on Monday, apparently my being on FMLA and not working full time right now is screwing with their calculations for my retirement. *sigh*
 
I have to have an "emergency" meeting with the state retirement folks on Monday, apparently my being on FMLA and not working full time right now is screwing with their calculations for my retirement. *sigh*
Ah, the good ol' retirement bureaucracy in action. I retired from education and, luckily, Ohio has an excellent STRS---but I had to deal with some of the bureaucracy ahead of time!
 
Ah, the good ol' retirement bureaucracy in action. I retired from education and, luckily, Ohio has an excellent STRS---but I had to deal with some of the bureaucracy ahead of time!
The state of IL retirement programs are a mess, most of the pending changes are tied up in court so even if I start drawing in the Fall they could change them after the fact. Honestly, I think the pittance I have in social security is a safer bet.
 
The Ohio STRS is excellent---I did have some questions and concerns prior to my retirement at the end of the last school year, and they were all answered very quickly and clearly.
 
It is important to note that, even though you have returned to work, the healing is still going on. You will still have some "down days." You have to roll with it and you are wise to take time off---ice and elevate and remember tht a true recovery takes upward to a year.

These boogers will subside after a while, and, down the road, you will have fewer and fewr of these days---and then they will disappear.

Thanks for posting this! This is my 2nd week back to work and it's been going OK, but some days between the commuting and just working, I am really struggling. Didnt occur to me that there would be some occasional tough days. Good to keep in mind!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom