TKR Well Nov. 3 is here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These sleep issues are all too common and to be expected. While it is very frustrating, it will eventually subside.

Nap when you can---sleep when you feel like it.

I found it very frustrating and would wander around the house looking for a place in which I could get comfortable. I watched a bazillion Law & Order reruns on super-late night TV, and I found this site during one of my sleepless nights, too.

I was on Oxycontin, and, while it made me feel like I was living inside of a giant cotton ball, I was willing to make that trade to keep my pain well controlled.
 
To tell you how bad my sleepless nights were, I felt like Dionysus---but instead of looking for one honest man, I was looking for one good night's sleep.

I began to dread night, as I knew that I would sleep for about an hour and then wake up forever...

I would wander around the house,---to the guest bed, to the couch in the livelong room---to the futon-=--I finally would throw the futon mattress onto the floor and literally crash there.

It was not the pain as much as it was that I could not get comfortable.

I understand exactly how you feel with the sleep issues---it was one of the most frustrating aspects of my recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MercysPeace , so good to see you have surfaced, and that you are starting to get pain under control - what a struggle that is! It amazes me that this is my 2nd TKR (1st was 9 yrs ago), and I managed to forget just how hard this is, for how long, sigh! Well, I guess we have nowhere to go but towards improving, right?:heehee: I hope you (and all of us) feel better daily!
 
That's a hard question. Some doctors want patients to stop it in a week. (I would NOT go to those doctors.) I will be four weeks post op on Tuesday, and I'm still taking hydrocodone, which is very similar. It's a little weaker, but usually given in a little higher dose which makes it about the same. We all recover at our own rate. I think the right answer to your question is just "until the pain subsides".
 
Hi @MercysPeace

Can I suggest you tag Josephine in please? She will answer your questions about your pain relief and anything else xx I'm no expert but she is. As a nurse she's best placed to help you xx

You need adequate pain management to function properly x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I believe so my dear. It may be in my pre-op post of a while back. Maybe i should read it again :)
 
They will help you honestly. They're short and easy to read xxx great stuff when you're on meds. So very helpful too x
 
Okay @referee54 could you please post the Bonesmart mantra for @MercysPeace please. Thank you x

Someone should be with you shortly x the articles are fantastic x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here they are for you---

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Hope this helps!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom