TKR Well Nov. 3 is here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about a week ahead of you. I too have a lot of pain. I have not had luck getting pain meds. I am glad you have found some relief. Sleepless nights are normal. I cat nap throughout the day to compensate. This forum has been a life saver as well. Best wishes!


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How often are your meds prescribed to take? Does it say something like take 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours? What you may find is you are able to get along ok during the day on the lower dose but at night you need the higher dose. It isn't unusual at all to have more pain at night. Also, it's way too early to start cutting back. you probably felt bad yesterday because you didn't stay on schedule with them (because you were feeling better) and the pain got away from you. You'll cut back naturally when the pain stops reminding you to take your meds. Let us know what your doctor said to you today. I'm curious.

I've been eating ok I guess. Last time my appetite didn't seem affected but this time I haven't been very hungry at all. I'm guessing it's because I'm having more pain this time around and I'm either 1/2 asleep or totally asleep 24/7 with this anemia. If I could be in the kitchen preparing our meals I would concentrate on foods higher in iron but there's just no way I can do that right now. I keep hoping this iron will get things turned around but so far it sure doesn't feel like it is.
 
Hi all: well, my OS appointment went well. He says that i am above average on my recovery (yes!!). He cleaned my wound and scrubbed it (ouch!!!!).....I have no outer stitches. He wants me rubb it allot with cocoa butter or any other healibg cream. I purchased cocoa butter so i am working on that. Look at my pretty new bionic knee
[Bonesmart.org] Well Nov. 3 is here!!!
 
He gave me a prescription for Percocet which i have attached a copy of the dosage section. Does anyone know what it means?
[Bonesmart.org] Well Nov. 3 is here!!!
 
I can't see the far right hand side but it looks like take 1 or 2 every 3-4 hours (or times a day? What does it say right after q3-4? What did the pharmacist put on your bottle or have you not had it filled yet?) The 5 mg. is the amount of Oxycodone in the pill and the 325 is the amount of Tylenol. It's important to know the amount of Tylenol you are taking in the Percocet in case you were to take Tylenol by itself also. Do not exceed 1,000 mg. per dose or 4,000 mg. in 24 hours no matter what source it comes from. Tylenol can be in all kids of things including cold medicines so be sure and read your labels while you are on this. Don't wanna kill the lil liver :)
 
If it's every 3-4 hours you're going to be a zombie if you take 2 every 3 hours. I'm pretty tolerant of pain meds and even I couldn't handle that much. For the most part now, I'm taking one every 3 hours plus a Tramedol which is a much milder pain med with Tylenol in it. I don't have Percocet. Mine is straight oxycodone 5 mg.
 
Oh, and your incision is looking good. Should heal to a nice fine line. I'm surprised he wants you to massage anything into it though until it's scarred over. It still looks a little bloody/scabby to me.
 
For almost the first week home I was taking oxycodone every 3 hours. Lots of napping.:) but pretty soon I was able to go every 4 hours between doses. We are all different.
I agree with Janet about not massaging anything on the incision yet.
 
Hi @MercysPeace

I agree with the others. It's a bit soon to be rubbing creams into a not fully healed scar yet. Maybe next week you could massage either side of the scar to keep the skin supple but I wouldn't recommend anything on there yet. I would not like to risk anything getting in there and causing a problem like an infection xx

Glad you seem to be doing okay.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi ladies: i'm so happy that i saw my OS today. The doc at the rehab had changed all my meds and was the one who thought i could be on Percocet at night and Tylenol all day....I'M TELLING YOU, I WAS CRAWLING UP THE WALLS IN PAIN. Now that i've got my revised directions and have been on 1 Percocet every 3 hours, my pain feels like its finally under control. I'll leave that possible 2nd pill for an evening where my pain gets too intolerable.
 
@MercysPeace

That really is unusual. With four surgeries I have never had anyone scrub my incision, and my OS instructed me to not have any kind of lotion, crems, or ointment within two inches of it for the first four weeks to make sure it is sealed completely. Anything introduced into the wound can cause infection. You might want to ask him again to be sure that is what he intended.
 
I've been told to massage the incision area lightly and I can use vitamin e. The OS and PT are trying to avoid scar tissue formation (but I develop scar tissue really quickly). My incision is almost three weeks old and is healed over. I understand the risk of infection, but I guess they aren't worried since mine is healed.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MercysPeace
Vitamin E is what my OS recommends as well, and is what I used on my other knee. My incision has no scabs or redness, and it looks completely closed, but he still said to wait 4 weeks. Just another example of different opinions by different doctors. My incision does look lumpy, and massaging the oil into it will help smooth it out.
 
I bet you were crawling up the walls in pain. My goodness! Pain control is so important. Pain, in and of itself is exhausting. Nevermind you just had a really traumatic surgery. That rehab doctor needs his head examined. Glad your doc got you back on track and things are better controlled now. It makes a BIG difference physically and mentally.
 
Yes it does. Let me say something though, Percocet does not make me drowsy. Do any of you know why? I'm still not getting enough sleep.
 
I am still not sleeping (even when I was well-medicated in the hospital). I spoke with the dr today and he said it is common for about a month or two.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm the same way with hydrocodone.....i.e. Vicodin, Norco. Not only does it not make me drowsy it keeps me awake. If I take one of those I'll lay awake for hours and hours. Comfy and relaxed but awake. Lots of people have trouble sleeping after this surgery. Lots and lots so it's not unusual. I've been really lucky that way and haven't had a problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom