TKR Well Nov. 3 is here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who have you spoken to about your pain management issues? What has your OS said about it? Have you spoken to your GP?

how much icing and elevating are you doing? how many times are yo icing---and for how long?

You are still very early in the grand scheme of recovery, but I would make sure that you let your doctors know of your pain issues?
 
Hi @referee54 .. The truth is that the inpatient rehab I was at really set me back on my pain management. It was only after i saw my OS on Thursday that he put me back on a correct regimen. Today I started taking my meds every 4 hrs instead of every 3 hours. So far, so good. Let's see how i feel tonight as my pain is worse at night (don't know why). If i continue on a positive road, then i may not need to further discuss this with my doctor(s). I think this might be a good plan...what do you think? My next OS apt is Dec 4.

I ice my knee quite often. I have a CPM machine at home. I do my CPM machine 1 hour and ice right after. In fact, i think my knee sees more ice time than non-ice time.
 
Yes...i have the Don Joy knee wrap with ice inserts.....do you think sleeping with that on would be beneficial?
 
I am still on pain meds. I am heading into my fourth week after surgery. I have a lot of pain. After a visit with the OS, he saw my level of pain and prescribed a higher dose and more of them. I was excited. I was feeling frustrated at the hoops I had to jump through to get more via phone right after surgery. I'm bad and don't take meds around the clock except on pt days. I take them at night and if I'm having a rough day, then I take them. I cannot wait until I can take Celebrex again (I find that works better at controlling the cause of the pain instead of just masking it). Good luck and don't be afraid to take them around the clock. You should if you are in pain. It definitely helps to stay ahead. In the hospital, I set an alarm because the nurses wouldn't wake me for meds. I made sure I was up when I was due. It made all the difference the first week.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm 5 weeks post op from my TRKR I know the pain...hang in there! I see I'm not the only one up late night also...lol
 
@jenng2003 WOW your story is similar to mine except that i had surgery only 2 weeks ago. Everything else sounds the same. I am now on Percocet every 4 hours (last week was every 3 hrs). My nights are still very rough though. I know i do not have enough meds to last till my next OS apt Dec 4 so lets see if ill have to go to his office or if i can get them over the phone when i need a refill. I guess I'll cross that bridge when i'm there.
 
@MercysPeace Yeah. I ran outta meds the first week home. In PA, it's against the law to prescribe via fax or phone, so I had to pick up a script. My OS is over an hour away. I'm one week ahead of you, but it's good to hear others have similar experiences. I am still not at the point that I am happy I did this. I still hate my surgeon :-)


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jenning @MercysPeace

Both oxycodone (Percocet) and hydrocodone (Norco) are now schedule 2 narcotics and are controlled by the federal government in the US. It means they can't write prescriptions with refills and they can't call them in. It has to be a new prescription each time. Oxycodone has been that way a long time, but the classification on hydrocodone just changed October 6 of this year. Before that it was schedule 3 with less restrictions meaning they still couldn't be called in but they could write prescriptions with refills.
 
Both oxycodone (Percocet) and hydrocodone (Norco) are now schedule 2 narcotics and are controlled by the federal government in the US. It means they can't write prescriptions with refills and they can't call them in. It has to be a new prescription each time.
I learned that the hard way. My script for Oxycontin ran out, and I called the OS---unfortunately, he was out of town for the weekend, so I had to take other pain meds---I might as well have been taking M&M's!

The script has to be written and a new one each time. That was the longest and worst weekend of my life!
 
@MercysPeace Definitely strap that ice pack on your knee at night. I generally get up to potty in the middle of the night and change out the insert then too. You may find your nights to be a lot more comfortable if you do that. Good luck!
 
How are you doing?
Meh, still not great. Still very tired and extremely sore. This anemia is a total bummer. Not only is it making me feel like a 90 year old it is slowing my healing down. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon for a blood test to see if the iron is working.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom