TKR Well Nov. 3 is here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
they drew blood and should have results tomorrow, hopefully. She said with where my hemoglobin level was in the hospital I was borderline for needing a transfusion. If it hasn't come up I will need to get one. If it has then I'm to continue on the iron and get checked again in 2 weeks. She said the anemia is definitely having an effect on my healing and slowing it down. I know it is. Tomorrow is 2 weeks and last time I felt better than this by day 4.
 
Wow....i was borderline to a blood transfusion too......but they got my hemoglobin up to 9.....so they didnt do it. Your problem is that you've been anemic from before right?
 
@gr82cu2 sorry to hear you are still suffering from the anaemia. You sound shattered. I'm guessing you won't be joining the Over did it club so maybe a silver lining longterm. I hope you begin to feel better soon. It's awful to feel so very tired all the time. Hope your blood test is better.
 
Your problem is that you've been anemic from before right?
No, I've never had anemia in my life. The paper they gave me to get the blood test said "acute blood loss anemia" so I guess despite the fact they tried to cut my leg off with the tourniquet during the operation I still lost a lot of blood.

@SuperSnapper Thank you. You're so sweet :) I don't think I'll be in the ODIC anytime soon because I don't have the energy to get in right now. My worry is that I haven't even really been able to do the simplest exercises because my leg was/is so horribly swollen and bruised. My PT told me only to do heel pumps, quad sets and very gentle knee flexes until the swelling gets down. I see her again tomorrow so we'll see what she says to do now. The swelling is coming down but not like my other knee did at this stage. As hard as it seemed at the time that knee was a dream compared to this one so far. I took my last blood thinner today so I can start taking anti-inflammatories again which should help.
 
@gr82cu2 - Oh dear! Well, i hope your recovery gets better now....you are such a positive and insprational person. You helped me ALLOT while getting ready for this surgery (and then some). I thought you had been dealing with this previously. You poor thing! I hope this week turns out better! Xoxo
 
Mercy, so sorry I've neglected you. Been rather busy IRL

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Well Nov. 3 is here!!!
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom