TKR Well Nov. 3 is here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi babe! I meant Norco as in Hydrocodone with Tylenol in it. Norco, Vicodin, they are all the same. It's a bit of a step down from Percocet. You may not be ready to step down to that even for a couple more weeks but if your doc doesn't want to give you more percocet it's a far sight better than just Tylenol alone.
 
Oh, sorry! I didn't answer you about me :) This one is 10x more painful than the first one. I don't know what in the heck they did to me. I'm also anemic so I've been really struggling with that. They told me literally minutes before they discharged me that I had become anemic. I've never been anemic in my life. All my blood is contained in bruises in my leg. I'm taking iron and Vitamin C for the anemia. I've been so tired and sleeping a lot which is good and bad. It's good because when I'm asleep I'm not aware of the pain but bad because sometimes I really would like to be awake. They did give me more and stronger pain meds this time and kept me in the hospital an extra night because I was in so much pain. I'm still working on getting some of this swelling to go down. It has been really, really bad this time.
 
@gr82cu2 You poor thing! A friend of my mom's did his second tkr and told me this one was worse. WOW have you been eating well? Because I hardly have an appetite. Maybe you could help your anemia through nutrition.
 
I must add that after getting home I feel much better. I'm in pain right now and am on BONESMART to keep distracted while it subsides.
My pills read Oxycodone / Acetaminophen (substitute for Percocet). My ins co only pays for generic. What are you taking?
 
Hi @MercysPeace ! Yes, this is hard, but yes it is worth it. Some are harder than others. Poor Janet @gr82cu2 is having a really rough time of it! This one, for me, is hard but is not as bad as my other knee was. I guess Forest Gump said it best, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

I've been sleeping, but woke up to go to the rest room and to take my pain meds, so I thought I'd check Bonesmart real quick. I'm glad you got home and are feeling better.

Oxycodone/acetaminophen is generic for Percocet. It is a good one. What is the strength and how many are prescribed? It should have a number like 5/325. The first number is the milligrams of oxycodone and the second number is the acetaminophen (Tylenol). My dr has always prescribed me hydrocodone instead of oxycodone. The strength is 7.5/325. Hydrocodone is not as strong as oxycodone. I believe 5 mg of oxycodone is equivalent to 10 mg of hydrocodone. I can take 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours as needed. I usually take 1 every four hours during the day and 2 every four hours at night. They make me sleepy so two of them during the day is too much if I need to be up and doing things. I can tell when it wears off, and mine have never lasted six hours.

I'm glad you are not stuck with only Tylenol this early on! Tylenol just doesn't help me much with the pain. I hope you will rest well and recover quickly.

Well back to sleep for me. Talk to you soon!

Connie
 
It does get better just your leg has been through major trauma. Yes lack of sleep makes it even worse but hang in there, for you to be in that level of pain might be best to consult dr re pain relief. Take care and chin up

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm sorry your pain is so severe! I've never had what I'd call "excruciating" pain with mine, so I am fortunate. It gets pretty uncomfortable, but the pain medication keeps it pretty much under control. I can really feel it coming on as the medicine wears off though. Are you taking the maximum dose that is allowed? I would not take more than is prescribed, but this early on, don't be afraid to take it by the clock and don't let it wear off. That's what it's for. This is a big surgery, and it hurts, so don't be afraid to take the medication.
 
@MercysPeace I am glad you are home. That is a big start to feeling better as you are now on your schedule. This is a painful surgery but I am sorry your pain levels have been so high. With the right combination of pain meds you can be more comfortable. Mine will spike to 6-7 but are usually less. Please follow up with your Dr about the pain meds. Remember to :sleeep::ice::elevate:
Bonesmart is a great distraction from the pain. I have been on here a lot since my surgery. Take care of yourself.
 
Hello @ConnieJOS and @Minnie'sKnees! Im seeing my OS this morning and hopefully he and i can discuss my pain meds. I had a rough night! It's been 10 days since my surgery. Night is the worse and i haven't been getting sleep so maybe that is just aggravating it. Let's see what he says. For some reason yesterday, during the day, the pain was very much controlled. Also, I'm keeping to a schedule today on my meds, which i didn't do yesterday because of feeling well. Im keeping a strict schedule and maybe that will help the evening pain.
 
Tell them that night is worse in hospital I would be in pain ask for med. At home all tabs usually are every 4 hours with along gap through the night. Josephine has a regime in a chart that includes night.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Tag josephine cant remember which thread sorry

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@MercysPeace - Is this the chart mentioned by Legin? Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Hope you can get it under control today! X

[Bonesmart.org] Well Nov. 3 is here!!!
 
It is ty ty ty I have been looking but well being a tad thick. But I do thank you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Tonight my pain is excruciating :( ....also, i haven't slept a full night in days...

Im seeing my OS this morning and hopefully he and i can discuss my pain meds. I had a rough night! It's been 10 days since my surgery.
You are still in the early days of recovery, and I am glad to read that you are addressing the pain issues with you OS.

Do not worry about sleep---it is a normal issue---just sleep and nap when you can.

I actually found this site on one of my sleepless late-night forays onto the internet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom