THR Weight gain?

Good morning. I started out-patient PT yesterday..... can't believe how much it tired me out. It was a good session and I definitely understand the healing process much better. Today I'm really sore. I go back on Thursday.

Things are getting easier every day.
 
Hi naka! Glad to hear you are on the upswing! Im on crutches (presferred by dr) fir another 3 weeks, im tired of having no free hands :/
 
Easy for us to get really tired the first several weeks. Hope pt doesn’t make you too sore, still have a lot of healing going on.
 
Hi @naka21
It sounds like all is going well for you.
I hope you recover from the last PT appt. before your next session.

Our body's energy isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activities of daily living. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate rest and sleep is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Wishing you the best as you continue healing. Hope your week is good!
 
So glad I saw this. I went out for a little bit today. One month post op and not 100%. Starting to feel depressed and disgusted. But reading I realize I am ok
 
I had another PT session yesterday and it kicked my butt!.... in a good way. Not nearly as tired as I was after the first session.

I'm off the major pain killers now. The soreness I have from PT is definitely manageable without the oxy. And the side effects from the meds were unbearable for me. Terrible constipation is just not for me. My innards are finally getting back to normal.... just have to deal with the effects of the constipation now.

I'm even able to walk up my stairs using both legs (and a cane) and not like a toddler (one leg leading). Not bad for 3 weeks out. My therapist says I have great range of motion for so soon after surgery. Have to build up long-neglected muscles, though. He says it'll be another 6 weeks before I'm able to get into a nice, hot bath for a long soak. It's a goal of mine since I have quite a large Lush collection.

Anyway, that's my story for now.
 
Almost forgot one of the greatest things.... after gaining almost 19 lbs as a result of fluid retention from surgery, I'm now 2 lbs less than I was the day before surgery.
 
The fluid retention can be a killer. Glad your pt and overall recovery is going well @naka21. I am happy my weight is the same, being down two pounds is super!
 
The fluid retention can be a killer. Glad your pt and overall recovery is going well @naka21. I am happy my weight is the same, being down two pounds is super!
@MammaT I'd lost almost 30 lbs in the months leading up to surgery (still have a bit to go), so I'm sure you can understand why I was so upset with that huge gain after surgery. Logically, I knew it was fluid, but.... well, you know how our minds work.
 
Yay for you. :ok:
Keep it slow and easy...and you will catch up on the tone and strength issues after healing is well on its way.
Happy you are doing well:yes:
 
I was lying in bed last night and touched my incision site. At the very end of the scar (on my leg) I felt a little string. I tugged on it a little and it didn't budge. This morning I took a look and it's not quite a quarter inch in length and looks like the kind of string a butcher would use (not like any stitches I've ever seen). My OS used zip ties to close my wound, so it's not that. I have PT this afternoon and it's in the same building as my OS.... I'll try to have someone look at it then. In the meantime, I'm freaking out. What is it?
 
It is an internal stitch. The bits that push their way to the surface are usually the ones at the end of the incision where the OS has tied them off. They usually come out of you give them a gentle pull, or they will drop off on their own. I had a couple one that wouldn’t pull I snipped off close the the scar and it just disappeared. They are nothing to worry about
 
It is an internal stitch. The bits that push their way to the surface are usually the ones at the end of the incision where the OS has tied them off. They usually come out of you give them a gentle pull, or they will drop off on their own. I had a couple one that wouldn’t pull I snipped off close the the scar and it just disappeared. They are nothing to worry about
Thanks. It was freaking me out because it doesn't look like any stitch I've ever seen. Looks more like butcher's twine.
 
My OS took a look at my stray "string" and did it was just an internal stitch that had worked its way to the surface. He cut it off with his trusty scalpel, put a bandaid in it, and sent me in my way. When he tugged it, though, I saw stars.
 
Glad it's over and you're feeling relaxed.
Stressing about all the crazy unknowns is the worst!
Hope your week is peaceful @naka21
 
Glad you are stringless...:unsure:
Glad all is going well with recovery...don't push PT too hard.
Still early days for you.
Plenty of time to strengthen and tone.
Lots of healing going on in there.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet!:tada:
 
I pulled on of those strings out of my neck after one of surgeries for my thyroid cancer. Definitely a weird experience. Glad I haven’t had a repeat. Glad he took care of the issue for you.
 
Four weeks tomorrow....Wohoo! Time flies when you're having fun :heehee:
Recovery does move more quickly than you imagine, at least I found that to be the case.
Hope you're doing well. Wishing you a wonderful weekend and Easter!
@naka21
 
I can't believe it's been 4 weeks since I got my new hip! Honestly, I never thought I'd be doing this well after only 4 weeks. PT is going really well and my therapist says I have great ROM.... just need to get my muscles to relearn what they need to do. Going back to work on Monday morning..... then a PT session.... then band practice. I think I may be tired Monday night, but it'll be good to get back out into the world.

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Enjoy the weekend.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom