THR Weight gain?

The constipation thing was bad for me too. Couldn't do without the meds though ...I stayed on stool softeners and don't know what finally got things back in order, honestly, as I tried most everything.
Hope it resolves soon.
 
Last edited:
I don’t see a suggestion for magnesium. Works well for me.
 
Hi, all. Had my hip replacement 9 days ago and I'm finally home (stayed at a friend's place close to the hospital until this afternoon). In the 4 months before surgery I'd lost close to 30lbs. So, of course, the first thing I did when I got home was weigh myself.... according to my scale, I've gained almost 20lbs! How is that possible? I haven't eaten nearly enough to gain that much in the last week. Could I possibly have that much extra fluid in my body? Feeling incredibly depressed right now.

Had anyone else experienced this?
 
@naka21,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Naka21,
Some of us lose weight, some of us gain weight after joint replacement. Some of the extra weight could be water weight. As you become more active your weight should settle back where you were before surgery.
 
Stupidly tried to do without the Percocet today and was literally crying into my pillow when I went to bed tonight.

Hi Naka... I've been there. It's not giving in... it's listening to your body. You'll heal so much better if you're not in pain. Seems like some VERY wise people here taught me that...

Try not to overthink. just rest, ice, pain meds.

It took me 8 days to move bowels. I had stool softeners every day, and a glass of prune juice, But finally someone told me about milk of magnesia. it only took 3 days of a nice shot of that at bedtime to get things going


I hope you have a comfortable evening
 
Hope you are feeling better and that things are easing some.
I remember a few weeks out of my surgery..I was thinking...what did I do? Is this a new normal?
Folks on the forum reminded me that symptoms will change..and it IS a journey...but all temporary.
So glad hip is doing so well.
Isn't it nice for THAT pain to be gone?
Have a restful day..
 
I came home from hospital with an extra 7 lbs. In my case, it was water weight. I haven’t been back on scale again but I’m certain most, if not all, of it is gone.
 
My pt told me people would be surprised at the water weight gain. It can also take time for all of it to resolve, but as we increase movement, it will go away.
 
hey @naka21! i kept searching here for the one who was going in for the THR the day after me (i was 3/1) - and i finally found ya! so i just wanna share, i was wheeled into my rt (anterior approach) THR at 2pm on 3/1.... arrived back in my room around 5pm. PT at hospital was no longer there, so i did not get up to walk til nextbday at 830 am after being awake all night...then again at 11:30 am, then discharged at 2pm for "doing so well" although the morphine drip was still in me.....but YES, MY ride drove me home LESS THAN 24 hrs after surgery, and to think i was so happy to have gotten outa there! had i known just how MUCH the morphine was helping i would have BEGGED to stay in the hospital longer - in fact im going to ask for 1-2 more days when i do my left in a few months...not sure it works that way, but im gonna ask! the first 3 days at home were HELL.... i seriously thought there would be no way i would be able to get thenother done...and i was trying not to take hydrocodone...which lasted all of 4 hours before i was like GIVE ME THE NARCOTICS STATTT, !! i mean have others in here been released in less than 24 hrs like me? Anyway, i took stool softeners daily, i did not poo for 9'days....and i will be honest, it was like childbirth, but ya know, not..... but that was the same pain/pushimg etc. it took 2 hours in the bathroom and it was a nightmare!!! and not sure ifbthis is tmi, but today is my day 11 and inhave not gone a second time....out of sheer fear. I also acquired the first fever blister of my lifetime during all this, and i was like "sheeez....what ELSE"! oh, here.s what else....a yeast infection from overload of antibiotics & ssuch! i too carried home ALOT of water on me... but the every hour pee trips the first couple days got rid of it...(next hip im gonna usenthenplastic potty attachment on my raised toilet seat...im NOT walker-ing to that bathroom ever 1-2 hours like i did before...oh hellz-no! on day 4 i began climbing my stairs,,,up/down couple times a day. i quickly found my "strong leg" wears out really fast.... but today was the second evening in a row i went out to dinner on crutches...and i have not had a pain med in 2 dayss, just the horse pill ibuprofin.
Anyway, it sure sucks having to ask constantly to have people carry things for me.... ive got a backpack i use now to carry things up/down the stairs... this thursday is my 2-week post op to hopefully get cleared tomdrive!
Lets stay in touch since we are just a day apart!! Hopefully younare in much less pain. i would not suggest my method of "breaking the constipation seal"..... but it got unbearable.... i mean when its ready to exit....its ready to exit...but when it cant, its Trouble, with a Capital T! the supository might be a good idea...:(
take care of yourself! Jen in Texas (and for the record i am not "country" at all...and do not wear a cowbow hat..nor have an accent, nor drive a big truck! lol hang in there!
 
to be clearer above, i meant the morphine drug was still plenty in my system when they released me...so even on ride home i was like "oh hell yeh! i GOT THIS"!! LOL UNTIL.......4 hours later it wore off.... didnt mean to sound like i had the drip needle still in me
 
Yay for being back home! Don't worry about the extra lbs....you'll lose it.
Hope your first night back in your own space went well.
Ten days out, very early days and a lot of healing to take place.
Best wishes as you move forward with recovery!
@naka21
 
@jfm1968 I'm doing much better. Finally got things "moving" with some colace and senna. I find that I don't really need the pain meds until I lay down for the night.

Having a hard time finding a comfortable sleeping position. If I lay on my left side, it feels like too much pulling on my right (new) hip. The doctor said I don't need to sleep with a pillow between my knees, by the way. Still afraid to sleep on my new hip (feels like I'm laying on a rock when I try to roll onto it). I've never been comfortable sleeping on my back. The only position that's the least bit comfy is on my stomach or sitting up in my recliner.

It's not all bad.... every day I feel a bit better. Thursday I go to the doctor to have my zip ties removed.
 
Hi naka! Ok YES 100% on the sleeping!! Lately i just try to lay on my right, but just too much pressure pain from surgery sight. My back is possible if my head and shoulder blades are a bit raised AND both legs draped over 1 or 2 king size pillows ... left side is tough too as my too surgery leg has to remain perfectly in line with the left leg and i definitely cannot lift it upways atvALL... like its still kinda dead weight.., it goes wherever the left one goes. And here again good hard sleep is when healing happens... easier said than done for sure!!
Im curious about your day hours...ive just recently been trying (key word TRYING) to do small chores... but its proving almost impossible :( with your surgery, will you possibly get cleared to drive at your 2-week post op? They still insist on verrry light weight put on my surg leg...like MINIMAL- but i onow ive gotten very careless in that regard... im mostly walking with the walker... but trying to not bear weight. Glad you got things moving- always a relief (no pun intended) I hate not being able to carry things up & down the stairs too!!! Uggg i use a backpack sometimes (my bedroom is up, couch, tv etc is down. :-/
Thx for checking in/ its nice to run things past someone whos "neck & neck" with me. Did u say yours was the anterior insertion surgery?
 
Hi naka! Ok YES 100% on the sleeping!! Lately i just try to lay on my right, but just too much pressure pain from surgery sight. My back is possible if my head and shoulder blades are a bit raised AND both legs draped over 1 or 2 king size pillows ... left side is tough too as my too surgery leg has to remain perfectly in line with the left leg and i definitely cannot lift it upways atvALL... like its still kinda dead weight.., it goes wherever the left one goes. And here again good hard sleep is when healing happens... easier said than done for sure!!
Im curious about your day hours...ive just recently been trying (key word TRYING) to do small chores... but its proving almost impossible :( with your surgery, will you possibly get cleared to drive at your 2-week post op? They still insist on verrry light weight put on my surg leg...like MINIMAL- but i onow ive gotten very careless in that regard... im mostly walking with the walker... but trying to not bear weight. Glad you got things moving- always a relief (no pun intended) I hate not being able to carry things up & down the stairs too!!! Uggg i use a backpack sometimes (my bedroom is up, couch, tv etc is down. :-/
Thx for checking in/ its nice to run things past someone whos "neck & neck" with me. Did u say yours was the anterior insertion surgery?
Lucky for me everything is on one floor. One therapist said I was okay to use a cane in the house, but I'm very wobbly with it... the walker feels much steadier. The operated leg is definitely dead weight in bed. PT said that muscle will come around in time.

I had the posterior approach.... huge scar, too (I guess my fat rear had something to do with it).

My mom is here to help, but I'm not a very good patient.... too independent for my own good.

PT was here this morning and I was finally able to climb into and out of my tub (it's an old-fashioned claw foot tub and kind of high). One step closer to taking a real shower.

The worst part for me is giving myself daily injections of lovanox (to prevent blood clots).
 
Sorry for the injections, I don't imagine that is pleasant.
I rehabbed at sister's who had walk in shower, thank goodness..getting legs to lift appropriate height on command was a struggle for a while.
Had to help mine alot.
Glad you seem to be doing well at a few weeks out.
Yay for bye bye hip pain.
All else will come.
Patience is key!
Hope you have a Good Day!
 
Yesterday I had my zip lines removed from my incision sites. OS says I'm healing well and the x-rays looked good....amazing to see the device in my body. After the visit to the doc, we did some shopping (too much) and I paid for it when I went to bed....pain from my hip to my toes. All is good today. I start out-patient PT on Monday.
 
Thanks, @MammaT.

I had my first post-surgery shower last night (shower stool is a godsend) and slept like a baby for the first time in two weeks.

The incision site feels a little tight. OS told me to keep it uncovered for part of the time and it's a little dry after my shower (no lotions or creams for the time being).

In any case, I'm feeling much better than I did without the surgery. Getting around with just a cane right now.
 
I still have some tightness around incision. I found with first hip it just took awhile for everything to sort out and return to normal.

Shower stools are the best!

Glad you have moved to cane. Don’t be surprised when you leave it somewhere @naka21. That’s a little scary the first time, but solo walking comes!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom