Guest viewing is limited

THR weak hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, did you guys have traditional old fashioned hip surgery or minimally invasive?
 
@Hoppy Nanny No, not a mixer. Oh it could be I suppose, but no....it's delicious all on it's own. Of course it's also wonderful with ice cream. Or even just mixed half and half with milk. But it's best of all when it's all by itself.

DV, you'd better come up with some hip questions or news if you want us to get back to your issues. But no problems....no need to have any problems. :)

Sharon
 
@Sharonsip It sounds divine.....!! Have to google it and see if I can get it over here...I've got a taste for it now!! Chrissie xx
@drinkvernors. Conventional posterior approach for me....working well!! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
How about you Sharon. Were your hips done the old traditional way or the newer minimally invasive? I have read that with some of the new techniques there are no restrictions from the beginning. My 88 yr old mother in law had minimally invasive total knee where they do it as an outpatient and it was great.
 
By the way, I'm a recently retired nurse anesthetist with 32 years of giving anesthesia in major medical centers as well as outpatient settings. If anyone has anesthesia related questions I'd be glad to help.
 
@drinkvernors, and @sharonslp --

I am so lucky that we have a few stores out here in the Wild West that carry Vernors. I will forever associate it with my mother, who swore by it and used to bring it to us from her trips to Michigan and Ohio-- precious few sips when you consider the transport! She is a Michigan alum for grad school, and I suspect it was there that her Vernors habit took hold. I had never heard of mixing it with milk, however! I will have to raise a glass of that and try!

No Vernors anesthesia, though, right? The elixir does hold magical powers, to be sure, but maybe the bubbles don't work so well in our veins. Drat. ;-)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
DV, I had a sort of traditional, sort of minimally invasive procedure for my surgeries. They were done posterior, but my incisions are only 4-5 inches long. Muscles were separated, but not actually cut. I was in the hospital two nights for the first, and only one night for the second. I did have the usual 6 weeks of restrictions, but found them easy peasy to observe. I had pretty easy and quick recoveries with both hips. The only issues I have now are soft tissue ones that were present even before my THRS, and that are pretty manageable. (Fingers crossed it stays that way.)

By the way, there are very firm rules here in the forums about medical personnel having to be cleared by Jo before they can offer any kind of actual medical advice.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/forum-rules-and-warning-protocol.11253/
See number 13.

Please check with Jo on this so you don't inadvertently break the rules.

Sharon
 
Mountain Girl, when your mom was in grad school at Mich, Vernors would have been a requirement for graduation. A little milk or cream mixed in it is the way the factory would give it after the school tours.
Sharon, not cutting the muscles makes a big difference. My next one will definitely be that way. Sorry, I guess I didn't read rule #13. I withdraw my offer.
 
Gotta say - I remember Vernors from when I was in college years ago in Northern Indiana - very different than anything else. I don't drink pop but am craving it!
 
By the way, did you guys have traditional old fashioned hip surgery or minimally invasive?
I had what my OS called mini-posterior THR. My incision is about 4 inches long. I also had 6 weeks of restrictions that were no problem. My only life long restrictions are no bungee jumping and no parachuting. Since I am not inclined to do either activity I don't feel restricted at all!
 
Sounds like there is quite a range of restriction time. I'm going to call it quits after the 12 weeks and write off the lifetime as way overly conservative.
CL- we went through a river of Vernors over the holidays. The whole family are Vernoraholics. Great stuff.
Question:Yesterday at the movie theater I bit into a popcorn kernel and broke off half a molar. Its going to have to be ground down and capped now. I guess that means antibiotics for prevention. Do you just take 1 dose before the dentist starts or do you stay on it awhile?
 
Ouch! Hope that tooth isn't too painful. There is new direction on antibiotics and dental work. Most dentists don't suggest antibiotics. I checked with both my dentist and my OS prior to having any dental work and both confirmed this is no longer necessary. Ask you dentist when you make the appointment. Here's a thread from the Library on this: Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
 
@drinkvernors I've just hit the 12 week mark after THR and have slowly given up on the restrictions without any problems....can't say it's been too much of a problem upholding them at all....still can't put my socks on though ..sigh! Hope that happens soon!! Still want to try that Vernors...looked in my local supermarket ....no did not have it...Canada dry was the best they could offer....cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Jaycey- thank you. I read the articles with interest. There has always been such a convincing case made that dental work floods the bloodstream with bacteria which the artificial joint is susceptible to. I believe the new research but wonder why the joint isn't at risk. Just seems to be common sense that it would be. As in everything else my surgeon is old fashioned and wants me on antibiotics.
Choppy Nanny: I'm right behind you at 10 weeks. Was your surgery minimal or traditional? I have a little Miata sports car and I'm going to wait till spring to try and get into it.Takes a contortionist to get into it so hope I can.
 
DV, if you do decide to take the antibiotic, just one dose is all that's needed.

Sharon
 
Drinkvernors Had traditional posterior approach, uncemented. Mmm perhaps getting into that snazzy little sports car would be best left for a while!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I had mini posterior. I started driving my car (a Mustang) a little before four weeks post-op. I was off the cane then and not following hip precautions.
 
That reinforces how much quicker the rehab period is with the newer techniques.
Happy: how is your gait at 12 weeks? At 10 I'm using a cane and without it walk like a penguin.
 
There's a lot of variety in when people hit those post-op milestones. Surgical technique may have some effect but it's definitely not the only factor.

There's no Vernor's (that I can find) in California. I used to live in Ohio though. Drink one for me, okay? :wink:
 
@drinkvernors , absolutely go with what your surgeon says on antibiotics. The controversy is around over prescribing antibiotics. But you are right, there are still surgeons who insist on them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom