THR weak hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your appointment went ok st surgeons and your knee feels better soon ...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Question: is there usually a warning before you do something that dislocates your hip or does it just all of a sudden go out?
 
Can be either. Sometimes there's a strain pain if it gets close because you get into a position that strains everything.
Other times if a person has a slip, trip, stumble or fall, it can go right out and then you know all about it!
 
Hello again friends. I've been doing pretty good but looking forward to spring. Next week will be 5 months since my surgery. I surprised myself the other day at how easily I was able to swing my leg up from a standing position onto the top of my bed mattress. That metal joint swings like a ball bearing with no pain. When standing I still can't pull my thigh up to 90° though. That seems to have hit kind of a plateau in progress. Questions: how long does your thigh typically stay swollen and are most people able to eventually ride a bicycle and if so how long foes that usually take? Thanks for your info.
 
I've made it to the 6 month mark! That side is weaker but I'm doing good. Question: Its still too uncomfortable to sleep on that side. About how long did it take you guys till you were comfortable sleeping on the surgery side? Thanks.
 
It can take quite awhile for all the soft tissue and muscles to settle. Just keep trying. In my case I worked up the time on that side in phases. 10 minutes and then building. You'll get there!
 
Thanks Jaycey, its always encouraging to hear others experience. My little Miata sports car has been in storage for over 6 months. Here in the States spring is in full bloom so next week I'm going to see if I can stuff myself into it again. I think the difficult part will be getting out of it as it is so low to the ground. If I can it will be good therapy.
 
About how long did it take you guys till you were comfortable sleeping on the surgery side? Thanks.

@drinkvernors, it took me about 2 1/2 years before I could sleep on the operated side comfortably for any length of time which is longer than it appears to be for most hippies.
 
Thanks bottomshollow. Are you a fellow former hippie too?
 
Hello again, been awhile since I've visited. Been exactly 1 year since my THR and I'm doing fine. One concern: last night in bed it felt like an area in my incision was sore. This morning I looked at it and there is a red area that is like a big pimple right by the incision. The spot is sore. Have any of you experienced that?
 
@drinkvernors I would check with your family doctor just to be in the safe side. Please keep us updated!
 
Thanks for your reply Jaycey. I went to my ortho doc. He put me on a powerful antibiotic and said if it isn't completely cleared up in 7-10 days they may have to put a needle into the joint to take a sample to make sure the infection hasn't reached there. I certainly don't relish that.
 
Have any of you had a needle aspiration of your hip joint?
 
Several members have had this test. Fingers crossed it's just a superficial infection!
 
I appreciate it Sharon. Had visitors last week from southwest side of the mitton. Did a lot of hiking on my new hip and naturally the Vernor's flowed freely. I love how with the new hip the arthritis pain is completely gone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom