Guest viewing is limited

THR weak hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@drinkvernors, I agree wholeheartedly with Jaycey to adhere to your surgeon's advice regarding the use of antibiotics. Your surgeon (and GP) have your full medical history.
 
@drinkvernors At 12 weeks I spend 50% of the time on one elbow crutch as still have bad limp with LLD.... If I'm tired limp is very pronounced... Going for hydrotherapy. However, my gait was very bad pre surgery so guess it will take time to settle.... I'm sure your will too... Every week gets better. Chrissie xxx
 
Hi guys, today is my 12 week anniversary. Seems like its been a lot longer than that. On occasion I find myself walking without my crutch before I realize it. Question: about how long did it take you guys before you could raise your leg enough to tie your shoe?
 
@drinkvernors I'm 13 weeks have let go of precautions, bending, etc but not made it down to tie shoes or put socks on..... That's a step too far for me ( cowardly custard!!!!). May have to leave that for a few weeks....I'm waiting for you to take the lead on that. So.... Do let me know... LOL. Best wishes... Chrissie xxx
 
Had an interesting experience with the antibiotics and my dental work. My OS prescribed keflex 250mg once a day for 3 days.After the dental work my dentists office called and wanted my Rx for their records. They said this was a very unusual dose and that usually it is a one time dose of 2-4 gm and hinted that I may not be protected. That concerned me so I called a pharmacist at the hospital to get another opinion. They said that keflex is a second choice for those who are allergic to the PCN drugs and that the 250mg was a very small dose. I then called the OS office with this information. They stood by the prescription and were miffed that I would question it. I realize that the trend now is for no antibiotic but I am immunocompromised and like the idea of having one. I decided to call another orthopedic office that is affiliated with my OS. They said they had never heard of a dosage like that and immediately prescribed keflex 1000mg for me. I feel better about that but the dose was 8 hours late. For several reasons, for future surgery I will use a different surgeon. Just thought I'd share this frustrating story with you guys.
 
Question: about how long did it take you guys before you could raise your leg enough to tie your shoe?
This can take awhile. If you have been released from any restrictions you can start the process of regaining this flexibility. I started my sitting on the bed and gently bending down toward my foot. Then a progressed to bending forward slightly and then lifting that leg toward so that I could tie my shoes midway. The flexibility to rotate that hip and get your foot on the opposite knee to tie the shoe is one you need to work on - carefully. If you hip complains, stop and try again another day. You'll get there!

Sorry about all the hassle with your antibiotics! Bad enough they couldn't get the prescription right but then to get miffed when you questioned it! I agree - next time try another OS.
 
@Jaycey Thanks for your comments. That's another reason I'll go elsewhere next time. My OS claims the restrictions are for life! I definitely didn't do enough research preop
 
Hmmmm, have to say I don't agree. My only life time restrictions are bungee jumping and parachuting. Since I don't fancy doing either activities I basically have no restrictions. Go with what you (and that hip) are comfortable with. Plenty of surgeons try to restrict patients for life. But most of use you common sense and listen to our hips. Here's some links that might give you a bit of perspective on life after THR:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
Dancing after THR: 4 months pics THR
Hips that have lasted 41, 40 and 32 years
 
Hah! So much for a restriction of not falling! I've fallen twice in the past 4 months....tremendous damage to my psyche, but fortunately nothing meaningful to my body. Not that I'm recommending anyone actually fall for fun and recreation. Just don't panic if you do. Jo emphasizes that it's really difficult to dislocate your new hip.

Sharon
 
This evening I tripped and fell. I landed hard on my knee and banged my head. My hip area is sore but doesn't hurt to move it so I think the new hip is OK. I have a goose egg on my head. My knee on the other hand is extremely painful. I can put weight on it OK but its swollen and can't bend it much. I shouldn't have tried walking without the cane.
 
Oh I am so sorry! I slipped on a wet floor the other day. I did not fall, but really tweaked my rt hip (my replacement hip). I was so mad at myself. It really hurt! I hope you are OK. Maybe you should tag Josephine.
 
Most of us fall at some point. My first fall... I was cycling, about six months post-THR, and stopped for a red light. I stepped off the pedal and onto a bunch of slimy wet leaves. My foot slipped and down I went in the mud. So embarrassing!

It takes a lot to damage an artificial hip. Yours sounds fine. You might think about icing that knee to try to get the swelling under control though.
 
@drinkvernors oh how scary ...I've so dreaded slipping over. Do hope your knee gets less painful ...take care Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@drinkvernors , so sorry about your fall. We all remember the first one post-op. Don't be surprised if you are very sore - all over. That jarring motion of a fall can rattle everything. Ice that knee and the bump on your forehead. Rest for a couple of days. As Alex says, it take a lot to damage that new hip.
 
Thanks guys. The fall really shook me up but it sounds like I'm in good company. Last night I couldn't bend the knee an inch but this morning it does bend a little. Lots of ice and elevation.
 
Well, its been 8 days since I fell on my knee. I used ice and elevated it as much as possible. The knee is still quite swollen, bruised, painful and doesn't bend. Its become worse instead of better.I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for today, so we'll see. By coincidence, yesterday was sunny, tomorrow will be sunny but today is supposed to be a snow storm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom