Guest viewing is limited

THR weak hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello out there. This picture is the day after the above picture. 3.5 weeks post op. The telfa dressing is 4"X3". No redness or odor. No fever. Is this normal?? Thank you.
[Bonesmart.org] weak hip
[Bonesmart.org] weak hip
[Bonesmart.org] weak hip
 
LOL I was about to log off and go to bed (it's 2.45am here!) when I spotted your post. That's nothing, just normal soiling from the scab. Don't worry about it. But don't pick the scab either! :wink:
 
Thank you. I was a little concerned. I guess I'm paranoid about wound infections. I'm a retired nurse anesthetist and after the patient leaves the OR we don't know much about the healing period. I've had enough cases of bring back wound infection cases over the years to know that I sure don't want to join that club. Thanks for the peace of mind.
 
Hi there drinkvernors

Thought you might like some more reading - knowledge is power... :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
Thank you Poppet. Good reading material.
 
Thank you drinkvernors, Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box below and to the left of the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear.

it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this...

The person gets an alert and we can come chat :)

Poppet
 
I'm a retired nurse anesthetist and after the patient leaves the OR we don't know much about the healing period.
I fully understand that. I was an OR nurse for about 45 years and it wasn't until I retired from that and started doing both BoneSmart and occupational health and then had my own knee replacement, that I really started to learn about the recovery of hip and knee replacements!
 
Personal experience makes an effective but tough educator doesn't it. I was forced to retire last may after an open rotator cuff repair in december never returned to normal. Even went to PT faithfully for months. I have been told that the UK doesn't have nurse anesthetists. Is that correct?
 
I'm posting a picture of the incision that my wife took. For the sake of this paranoid nut case, does it look OK?


[Bonesmart.org] weak hip
 
In the above post, to clarify, I was definitely referring to myself not my wife.
 
Your incision looks fine to me! I assume you are concerned about those two little holes that sometimes drain. That's just your wound closing up. Some parts take longer than others and it's not uncommon to have these little areas that pucker and drain a bit.

But....just for your sanity, I'll tag Josephine and let her comment as well.
 
Thank you. This website is a wonderful resource.
 
Does the area feel hot?
 
For a 3 week old wound, it's looks fine. Just watch that hole in the middle and if it doesn't close and dry up within the next couple of weeks, have your surgery nurse or GP check it out.

(sorry, I messed with your post and accidentally deleted one of you pictures! :blush: Feel free to post it again if you want to)
to clarify, I was definitely referring to myself not my wife.
:rotfl:
I have been told that the UK doesn't have nurse anaesthetists. Is that correct?
Not as a routine, no. There are one or two specialist hospitals that have specially trained nurses to do certain procedures. However we do have specially trained nurses who do minor operations like carpal tunnels and 'lump and bump' surgeries along with assisting the consultant in theatre, clinics and on the wards. They are usually referred to as 'surgical assistants'.
 
Thank you Josephine. I see the surgeon in 2 days and will show it to him. He is going to xray and hopefully take me off no weight bearing. Its interesting the different way nurses practice around the world.
A couple years ago I attended an international Congress of nurse anesthetists in the Hague Netherlands.it was a great experience talking with people from everywhere. In the States nurse anesthetists(crna) perform approximately half of all anesthetics.we are trained to do all the types of surgery either independently or as a team with an MD anesthesiologist.
 
Went to surgeon today for 4 week checkup. He thinks the area on incision we've been talking about is from a deeper dissolving suture that is closer to the surface because I don't have much sub q fat. Also he is letting me put full weight on the leg. I think that will help overall progress a lot. After 4 weeks non weight bearing it feels very strange to stand on it. Also its very weak. Will start outpatient physical therapy. Thanks to everyone for all your input.
 
Good news drinkvernors, slow and steady... Have you read these articles..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom