Guest viewing is limited

THR weak hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five weeks and incision has healed nicely. Just waiting for leg to be able to support my weight. Ive only been putting weight on it for one week. Using walker. Starting outpatient PT tomorrow. Thank you all for your comments and support. This is a very helpful website and I certainly have it bookmarked.
 
Hello again. Thanks for the help with my incision, now I have a different question: I am 5 weeks post total hip but I have only been weight bearing for 1 week. It is impossible to take even a step without the walker because my leg won't support me. It feels like the hip kind of let's down. Is this normal? I read about people walking with a cane and even with nothing. Thanks.
 
drinkvernors .... I have merged your latest thread in with your previous recovery thread. We prefer to keep each member's recovery posts in a single thread so that we can go back and read your history if needed. This helps us provide better information to you based on what all you have experienced with your recovery. It's much more difficult if that valuable information is in multiple threads! So please continue to post here with additional updates, questions, or concerns. If at any time you want a new thread title, just post what you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.

What you are experiencing is completley normal. It takes time after surgery and after being immobile to regain strength. This is why you have a walker....to use as a tool so you can begin to use your new hip. Walking is excellent exercise (as long as you don't overdo things!). Take it slow at first and slowly build up time. Use the walker as long as you need it to enable you to take good, strong strides (you're probably not at that point yet!). There is absolutely NO timetable for moving to crutches or a cane. You do it when YOUR body is ready. You won't hurt anything by continuing to use a walking aid if you need it to keep from limping.

It's important that you not compare your recovery with anyone else's. Yours is unique to you and based on your own body and your surgery. Rejoice in your progress....no matter how small the steps forward are....and know that you are doing things at your own pace, which is absolutely as it should be.
 
Since you have been non-weight bearing for a period of time the muscles are now very weak. It will take some time to build this up. Please don't worry. Slow and steady - you'll get there!
 
It's really as if you've just gotten out of surgery for that leg. While the wound has been doing some healing, it hasn't had to support weight. Many of us need a walker for a good two weeks to a month after surgery. Jaycey is right; your body will tell you when it's ready. ALSO.....make sure you're taking adequate pain meds!!! At five weeks, you may have started cutting back quite a bit, but you need to use them now while your hip is getting past the new weight-bearing transition. Use them to get ahead of the pain. Once you're walking comfortably with the walker, then start slowly cutting back again. Calibrate as needed while you learn to walk unassisted.

Sharon
 
Thanks guys. I guess this is how weak your leg felt right after surgery. Had the first session of outpatient PT today. It went good.
 
Hi guys, I haven't written in about 4 weeks. I'm up to week 9 and things are going pretty good just slow. I go to PT once a week and do the home exercises. Still use a walker because the cane is a little Sharkey. When I try to walk with no assistance I'm improving but definitely a penguin walk. Started driving a little last week. All in all doing pretty good just anxious to walk normal. I'm going to ask a question in a separate post. Merry Christmas to everybody and drink plenty of Vernors!
 
Hi again, I have an important question that you may not feel comfortable answering. From all I've read, and heard from other people, it sounds like the 12 week restrictions (90° bending etc), can be eliminated after that period and you can return to normal within reason. My surgeon is very conservative and I had the old traditional surgery (long incision, non weight bearing for 4 weeks). Last week when i asked him about the restrictions, he said that he tells his patients to observe them forever. Can this possibly be true or is he just being ultra careful??? I talk to so many people who can kneel in their gardens and all that sort of thing without restrictions. I would hate to think that there is some reason I can't. Please give me your thoughts.
 
If that is what he tells all his patients, in my opinion, he is very conservative. To me, it seems unrealistic to expect you to be unable to tie your own shoes for the rest of your life. I'm not telling you what to do, but there are an awful lot of us who are fully recovered from THR, living our lives and never giving a thought to restrictions.
 
I agree with Alex. Sometimes there are specific reasons why a specific person would be at higher risk for dislocations, and if so, that person needs to be super-cautious. Ask your OS if you are at higher risk than normal for some reason. But if this is a routine precaution that he tells all his patients, he is protecting himself in case you do dislocate later on and blame it on him for not warning you.

And if you're talking about taking on strenuous activities that put a lot of torque on your hips....tennis comes to mind; I'm sure there are many others......then maybe that does create more risk. But for the ordinary activities of everyday living.....putting on shoes and socks, crossing your legs when you sit, sitting on the floor, bending, kneeling, and so on....wow....there's a lot of us breaking those restrictions with ease every single day.

I opt to listen to my body. It tells me quite clearly what I should not do. Every once in a while I start to do something that causes a sharp twinge I wasn't expecting....I respect that twinge and I stop immediately.

DV, you are only 9 weeks out, and you still haven't got a normal gait yet, so obviously you want to work on that right now. I'm curious....are you still having problems with walking unassisted because of pain? If so, are you taking any meds still.

Sharon
 
Thanks for your reply. I had a hunch that was the case but wanted your opinion. Much relieved. Sharon, my difficulty with walking unassisted is just because that muscle is so weak. It was so weak preop that I kept falling and had to walk with a cane. Now its been cut besides so I just need to strengthen it. I can do pretty good with a cane but just don't trust it completely yet. Its 9 weeks post op but I've only been putting weight on it for 5. When i started PT the therapist predicted it would take 2 months till i shed the walker. Have you put in a good supply of Vernors for the holidays?
 
Alas, I have a hiatal hernia that prevents me from drinking carbonated beverages anymore. My Vernors days are a golden memory. :)

That's right; I forgot you had no weight-bearing for a while. You are on your way, DV.
 
How sad Sharon. Fortunately a hiatal hernia doesn't affect watching the Wings play.
 
What is Vernors? Is it alcoholic? We don't have it here in the UK?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
For those not blessed with this heavenly elixir, Vernors is a ginger soda drink. It has a strong local following in Michigan USA as it was formulated just prior to the war between the states by a druggist in Detroit Michigan named James Vernors. He was trying to come up with a new drink and when he went off to war he kept his concoction stored in oak barrels. When he returned 3 years later he liked the way it tasted and voilà- Vernors.
 
Those of you who are stuck with Canada Dry Ginger Ale or any other brand....you have no way of realizing how anemic those brands are compared to Vernors. @Hoppy Nanny It's not alcoholic....just the best soft drink out there. Yes...better than coke! There..I speak blasphemy! But it is. :)
 
Oh I see it's a mixer? We have schweppes ginger ale....mmm must be good except its non alcoholic...not so good!! Cheers...HIc....I'll stick with my malt whisky or even the Irish whiskey!! Just had to go and have a wee dram!! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
This may become the hip/knee/Vernors website .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom