Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops! I misread this one Charlie. Yes, weight bearing...I agree totally with Anita. if it doesn't feel good, STOP! there is no rush with any of this. I must admit I used a crutch for a long time because it felt good!

I could never to this day get a feel for a cane...

Weight lifting, well, you got my opinion on that too, sorry :wink1:!
 
Thanks for the tips .... I think the advice is sound I'll just have "to suck it and see" & be sensible (there's that word again!!).

I'll keep you informed as to how it goes ....

Charlie
 
Well, you know the old saying "softlee softlee catchee monkee"! :wink1:
 
Hi All,

"Captain Sensible" here :biggrin:

First day of weight bearing went fantastically well. I'm really pleased and relieved. There is hardly any pain when I bear down at 50% and I was able to do a good walk at that loading.

It's also great to be able to to the standing exercises.


So.... with my new sensible hat on I'll continue with the same for the time being. I see the Physio on Thursday so will hopefully get good advice on the next stages from her.

Charlie
 
Good news on the weight bearing & standing exercises, Captain Sensible!! I hope that you find physio enjoyable and helpful. Nice to hear that the grandson will be coming for the holidays, I bet that will be good fun! Can't wait to hear what mischief the two of you get into... :th_heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Well I had an "interesting" weekend to put it mildly!!

We were just chilling out on Saturday evening, and at about 9pm the phone rang. My father in law had had a heart attack!
Luckily he got the right treatment quickly and is recovering in the best "heart" hospital in the UK (which just happens to be close to us).

Needless to say we didn't get a lot of sleep especially my wife who didn't get back from the hospital until 3am.

As I'm getting on well with my new weight bearing leg I took responsibility to dinner last night, I thought we deserved a treat so we had roast chicken with all the extras. I was absolutely shattered after I'd finished! Somehow I seemed to be on my feet for about one and a half hours.

At least I slept well last night!:yes 4:

It's amazing isn't it? We'd just got Christmas all sorted out and now it's back to the drawing board.
What's the old adage "If you want to make the gods smile ....tell them your plans!!"

Charlie
 
Charlie,
So sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Sending you most sincere wishes that he recuperates well and that for you there is no lingering sense of "going back to the drawing board". If I may be so bold to make this suggestion, I would encourage you to focus on the fact that he got the right acute treatment rather than the part about fate playing unfairly with you. Hoping you can keep on channeling the part of you that got that bird in the oven (what a wonderful act of love to want to feed your wife well), even though I understand how the weight of feeling that life is just not giving you a break can make it so hard to want to bother.
Anita
 
Thanks Anita ... you're absolutely right. It's all a matter of how one thinks about things that happen in life.
As the Bard said:
"for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so......"

I'm feeling philosophical today as you can see!

Charlie
 
Thinking of you and yours Charlie. Hope things go well for all of you. Don't over do it or your poor wife will have to worry about both of you :DOH:. Resist the urge to do too much too soon. Easy does it remember.
 
Charlie, my heart goes out to you and your family. I am so thankful that your father-in-law was able to get live-saving treatment quickly. Here's hoping he is back on his feet quickly.
 
Charlie- I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law, but so glad to hear he got proper treatment quickly!

As for your recovery, great news on the weight bearing it feels good to walk again. I've been weight bearing from day one but am just now feeling stronger on that leg. Slow and steady wins! Keep up your good work!!

Buffi
 
Hi all you lovelies!

Thank you so much for your thoughts and support.

Went to see the Father in Law this morning and we've asked him to come and live with us whilst he's recovering... so that's one more for Christmas!!

I discovered this morning that I can just use one crutch around the house so I will practice with that for a day or two and then give it a test drive outside ...I really feel like i'm making progress now but I promise I WONT RUSH THINGS!!! :wink1:

Charlie
 
Charlie,
That's great news about you father-in-law being on the road to recovery AND that you are feeling comfortable on one crutch. Amazing how fortunes can swing in the span of just a few days!
 
Update....

I saw my physio (PT) today I hadn't seen her for two weeks as last time I still wasn't allowed to weight bear on my operated leg. That started last Friday.

Anyway she got me to demonstrate my "new" one crutch walk across the physio room and she jumped up and down saying " I don't believe the progress you've made!!!"

I was suitably humble (but inside I was as pleased as a schoolboy being praised by his favourite teacher .... how sad is that?).

She then did all the strength tests .... and again great praise and encouragement. Finally she wanted me to stand on my operated leg lifting the other off the ground. I wasn't keen to say the least but she held my hands and gently let my weight settle ...and I did it!! :yes 4: How sweet are these little victories?

She'll see me after my OS appointment in a fortnight and says she expects me to be walking without crutches by then, given my rate of progress to date.

It was all very nice and flattering and encouraging .... but we'll see.


Charlie
 
Way to go Charlie!!! I know what you mean about liking the bits of praise gained from PTs and other providers ...... if feels a bit silly but oh well we do like to be told we're doing good ;) Enjoy it - you deserved it! :yes 4:
 
Hello Charlie,

Brilliant news about your PT visit, and yes each small victory is like winning an Olympic gold!!

I just read your thread and there is a group of us that'll had our surgeries around the same time. I'm glad I read your thread there were a couple of good points there especially where Josphine posts the walking, excercise time frame I needed to see that today. Like you I am taking it nice and slow, hang on you cheated and went to the supermarket hahahahaha!! I'm not that brave yet!

I feel much stronger today, however still feel I could be moving a little more, however don't have the confidence quite yet, so my head tells me to just relax. I'm a good girl with my exercises, my lack of confidence is walking outside. I'll write more on my thread later today!

Thank you for the kind words you sent me earlier on my thread!

Here's to everyone's continued success!

All the best...

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Hey Charlie

You are a star with your physio... Can just imagine the fun sessions you would have with her :) :)

So sorry to hear about your father in law, but great that he can come stay with you for a while. At least your wife can keep an eye on both of you then...

Roll on 2012 I say, 2011 seems to have been a shocker of a year for so many people. Was talking to a friend yesterday who is in retail. Don't know about the UK but there has been a significant down turn in retail in OZ. She said she is taking in 1/5 of what she was taking in 5 years ago and finds it depressing to think what could be up ahead...

So here's to a better year for everyone, lol, Sandy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom