Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

Its strange, when I had my appiontment with the consultant and agreed to my second hip the nurse ( who I had pervoioisly met the first time round) referred to me as the bionic man - was that the female equivelent of the 6M$ man?!!!!!:scratch:
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

Oh, for sure, Dave! :snork:
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

Hey CC
how fantastic are you doing and Lisa that trick with the plastic bag, going to try that for sure. That is the one exercise my leg objects with. But like everyone says we have to wake up the memory in the muscles.....

Wakey, wakey muscles !!!
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

hi smja thanks for the encouragement.
When I said it was a "may the force be with you" moment I wasn't entirely joking. I think it came just after I had done the rotate foot to the side exercise which I found easier to do if I concentrated on my knee, trying to move that correctly rather than my foot.
I sort of dug my right heel (non operated leg) into the bed and willed my left knee to get moving, which having lived with my scathing criticism for many years ...eventually obeyed!!
I feel the power is actually coming from high up on my buttock, I'm not sure whether this is correct but it works, I've also started standing abductor exercises which I now find incredibly easy!!
Hope this might help and definitely use Lisa's bag trick!

CC
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

I feel the power is actually coming from high up on my buttock, I'm not sure whether this is correct but it works, I've also started standing abductor exercises which I now find incredibly easy!!

Hi Charlie,

You may be using some of your back muscles on the standing abductor exercise as well since you describe the power coming from higher up in your buttock area. I found that when I returned to my follow-up appointment with the OS and the PT person did my range of motion evaluation that on that abduction movement I was moving my pelvis and not my hip out to the side -- not what was supposed to be happening... She corrected me verbally and had me try it on the other side (not sure you should do one legged on your surgical side, so don't go bionic just yet) and I could see a tremendous difference -- on the non-operated side my hip swung from the socket, on the operated side it swung with the pelvis.

In the grand scheme of things I don't really know what this means and have yet to feel like my hip socket moves freely, but just want you to be mindful of this in the event that it is something that continues to happen as you work on your range of motion exercises and movements.

Did your surgeon add length onto your new hip/leg or were you already even before the surgery?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

Hi Cardie,

Thanks for the post, I'm pretty sure when I'm laying down I'm not involving the back muscles but yes, I'm afraid you're right, the standing one is easier because I am using the opposite hip and moving the pelvis ..... darnit!!
I'm not allowed to weight bear on my operated side for another couple of weeks at least so can't compare yet.
My left leg used to be about 4cms shorter than my right but now it's the same length. I'm pretty certain it's not just been stretched to fit but that some of the increase came from the change in angle. By this I mean that Perthes caused the femoral neck to depress which pushed the top of the femur (the trochanter) outwards and now that the femur is aligned properly it's extended the length a little plus a little stretching from the OS making up the difference.

CC
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

Hi Jo,

I've just been reading JollyRoger's thread and noticed he'd changed the name of it to a more "generic" title.... can you do the same foe me as mine's a bit specific.
Perhaps " We can re-build him...."

Thanks in advance

Charlie
 
Hi CC

How you doin? (deliberate spelling error) comes from the tv show Friends From memory...

Hubby and I use that term a lot and it always brings about a giggle from me. Talking about hubby, he is patiently waiting for me to do my exercises so have to sign off for now.

Cheers and have a good day :)
 
Thanks Jo!

I had a pretty good weekend after a very "iffy" Friday!

Friday was my wedding anniversary and my wife wanted to get me something special for dinner. Confidently I said as it was two weeks since my op I'd be ok to go shopping with her ..... Well by the time I got from the car park to the food shop (about 100 yards) I was totally wrecked! To make matters worse one of the most uncomfortable postions is (was) just standing still, so I had to turn around and hobble slowly back towards the car park whilst my wife dashed to get the car and pick me up halfway.

Back home feet up and lots of icing and a snooze and a large slice of reality!
Needless to say I did sleep well.
Strangely though on waking on Saturday morning I felt great and almost pain free!

Being Captain Sensible though I took it easy that day only doing my exercises and a short walk.

Today( Sunday) the pain that I thought I would have to accept as being long term seems to have diminished by about 40%. The discomfort of just standing still also has diminished, perhaps my "stretched" leg is now getting used to it's new length.

Anyway I'm very pleased with the last couple of days progress and it's my birthday tomorrow so we'll try shopping again!

Wish me luck!!

CC
 
Happy birthday for the 28th CC.

Have a wonderful day and so pleased that the little episode seemed to have stretched you out a bit and given you some comfort and less pain.

I too love the sensible approach, rest, exercise, ice.

Sometimes I wonder if I am doing too much resting, but then I remind myself how complex and traumatic the surgery was in the first place.

Take care :)
 
Happy Birthday CC and take it easy!! Are you supposed to be out in the car this early in your recovery? I wasn't allowed for the first month and admonished by the home based physical therapist about the disasters that occur on a sudden stop in a vehicle on a newly installed hip....

Hope it's a good day and we do appreciate your enthusiasm for shopping!! :yay:

Take care,
Cardie
 
CC, you are a nitwit! :DOH: I think you should check out this article again Some suggestions for home physio (PT) especially this bit

Walking

Hip or knee, walking is about the best exercise you can do but again, you need to moderate your time and distance.
Always use your walker, crutches or canes as appropriate, only moving from one to the other as you gain confidence or until as advised by your PT or physio.

I would suggest the following regime

Week 1
Walking around the house. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Being up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it.
A 5 minute walk every one to two hours is plenty.

Week 2
Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5 minutes but don't a) get into too much pain and b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.

Week 3
Take short walks outside the house in the garden, driveway or road for about 5-10 minutes maximum, once a day.

Weeks 4 and 5
Lengthen the walks to about 10-15 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your knee/hip to swell or be painful.

Weeks 6 and onward
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.
 
Re: Exercise advice for Perthes THR

DID IT!!!

Don't ask me how but this morning whilst waiting for my wife to help me slide my stubborn leg out to the side I had a "may the force be with you" moment and did it all by myself!!

Really weird feeling as I have never in my life moved that leg in that way before ....I'm truly more than I was before.

CC

That is exactly what I ment about All of a sudden you can do it. Funny how it works isn't it!

Glad you are healing so well!
 
Thanks Smja (surely by now you could tell us your name??!!) Cardie Anna and of course JO!
To make up for being a naughty boy I've forgone the pleasures of shopping today (it's too cold as well) and am looking after the pooch instead whilst my very hard working wife assumes the Hunter/Gatherer role.
Hmmm think I'll watch Countdown on the TV.... it counts as a birthday "guilty pleasure" treat!!

Charlie
 
Happy Birthday, CC! Hope you have a delightful birthday - even without the shopping expedition :)
 
Thanks to all those who passed on Birthday Greetings!
Had a relaxed day and read a oodles BS posts and hopefully learned from a lot.

One thing I am concerned about and I think LisaP suffers from the same thing? is, as my hip problem was congenital (Perthes) and I had very limited movement in it for most of my life I know that my Hip Flexor (Psoas) is very tight. I tried a sort of Thomas test on my bed this morning and I would think I've got to stretch it about 2-3 inches at least!!
Is that feasible? Any tips?

Charlie
 
Hi Charlie,

I saw the video link that you posted on Lisa P's thread for the psoas stretch. I am about 5 months out from my surgery and my PT has very cautiously suggested that I not hang my hip over the table/bed edge like this at so early a point in my recuperation due to dislocation related chances. I would suggest to you that you get verbal verification from your OS before you start doing this type of movement, especially if your surgery was anterior approach. Not to call you a "nit wit," as Jo did :th_heehee:, but with your new legs eleven you should be doing whatever very boring and basic movement exercises were doled out at the hospital at discharge or by your OS and nothing more. At 18 days out from replacement surgery your goal is to let your newly installed hip settle in to the bone and your newly cut and/or retracted muscles and tissues heal from their assault.

I don't mean to seem negative, but also wouldn't want to sit by listening to you describe activities that might jeopardize your new bundle of hardware... In a few short weeks you will be promoted to another level of exercise and activity and then set free to learn and experiment with all sorts of different activities. :dancy:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom