Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Cardie and Dave for those thoughts.

No supermarket today Dave! But we did go to our local winery to grab a few late pressies, it's situated in the lovely Chiltern Hills called the Hambleden Valley. With a low winter sun in a clear blue sky it was picture postcard perfect.

I did walk my dog Jasper today. A real milestone!

Luckily we back on to a beautiful unspoilt treelined meadow and have access through a garden gate. It's about a 15 minute walk to circumnavigate the periphery. I armed myself with just one crutch, I'm not quite ready for total freedom yet, and although the footing was a little rough in places I was fine.

Jasper didn't quite know what was going on as he's been walked by my wife since the operation six weeks ago. (Wow doesn't time fly)

He's a Hungarian Vizsla, Cardie, and he behaves exactly the same as he did eleven and a half years ago when I got him. He is the best puppy in the world but only because he's had so much practice!!!

I was told he would "calm down" years ago but no-one told him. He does look and run and jump and lick just like a pup, and is still accused of being one by those that haven't met him. The only clue that he's getting on is his greying muzzle and feet, although I tell people that it's not grey it's "Highlighting"!!

Must press on got cakes to ice and fish to fry......

Charlie
 
Hey Charlie, sounds like a more fun day, poking around a winery rather than the supermarket. Nice part of the UK too.

Love the sound of your meadow, perfect for CC to get his personal space :)
 
Hi Charlie

Well done on taking Jasper out for a walk, must be nice to 'reclaim' him? I find uneven ground much more tiring than just walking around town. Although I was having a bit of trouble with my crutches slipping on the wet paving stones at the outlet centre today, don't get that around the fields.

Wow on the public transport! Don't think I'd be that keen on getting on and off buses. And I avoided the escalators on my xmas shopping trip today, not keen at the best of times.

Have you ever heard of Vizslas being described as 'ginger ninjas'?

Jo
 
Charlie - Sounds like you've had a great day and Jasper just sounds like a wonderful dog. One of our crew, Lilly is the same way, she leaps around the house like a deer but she's still pretty young. I can't wait to start walking her again.

Keep up the great work!!

Buffi
 
Charlie, I think you are going to find a gift under the Christmas tree that says "Mr. Wonderful" :th_heehee:! You are amazing! And thoroughly entertaining! What a pleasure to read your posts as well!

Gee, what a delightful bunch of writers we have on board these days! All this hidden talent! I honestly can't wait to get on the forum and see what everyone has written! Thanks for being so entertaining, all of you!

I know it goes far beyond that and the support and compassion go without saying. But I just had to comment on what a talented group we have :thumb:!
 
Hey Charlie , it sounds like you are making good progress.

I'll be looking out for Jasper (with the highlights) and you next time I cycle past the Stag and Huntsman in the Hambledon Valley!

Have a happy Xmas and a healthy new year neighbour,

Steve
 
Charlie, your recovery sounds likes it is going super. Congratulations and enjoy the walks wiyh your pup. Sounds like u are going to have some fun.
 
Hey thanks to all for those messages!

Jo .... it's really not at all bad getting on a bus if you just wave your crutch around and fumble around for change ...I wasn't play acting that's what I normally do:DOH:

I'd not heard the Ginger Ninja one before, I call Jasper Ginger NUT after the ginger flavoured biscuit (nut for nutty ... mad?... sorry I don't know whether slang travels well).

Buffi ..... how many doggies do you have in your pack?

Janet .... what can I say:blush: can youtell that to my missus please??? :loll:

Steve ... didn't realise we're neighbours! You're obviously doing great if you're cycling around the Hambleden Valley! I call the pub the "Hag & Stuntsman" and the collective noun for cyclists who hold up traffic on the Marlow Henley Road a "Nuisance of Peddlars" ... I'm sure you're not one of them?

Hoops ... thanks for the encouragement, coming from someone who's making your sort of meteoric progress I'm well chuffed!

Off on the last leg (unfortunate expression!) of hunter gathering for Xmas today. I do keep mentioning quietly of course that it's only one day with a few friend and relatives and that the stores will be open on Tuesday but it's falling on panic deafened ears!

Dog walking is going fantastically I can't believe how much progress I'm making each day ....

Have a Happy Xmas and a "Preposterous" New Year you lovely people! I'm so glad I found you!!

Love

Charlie



Charlie
 
Hi Charlie,
So fun to read up on your posts! Glad you are having a great time walking the dog, shopping, cooking and being all around super man. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas.
 
From me too Charlie! And enjoy the time with your little grandson! It is such a special day to have ALL family around!

Bill and I actually go to my ex-husband's and wife's home for Christmas and they come to our's for Thanksgiving. That way the kids and granchildren don't have to be chosing sides. We are all good friends!
 
Hi All,

I hope you had lovely Xmas and Boxing days and are recovering from any excesses ..... was it all worth it? It flashes by doesn't it?

I walked twice around "my" field yesterday about 3/4 mile each time with just the one stick and half the time didn't put any pressure on it. Jasper loved being out with me and kept sprinting back to see if I was ok!!

Feeling a little shattered today, a combination of doing a little bit too much yesterday and "mass" catering over the last two days, plus maybe a little too much food and wine.

Still we've got a day of no family or friends (mind you it's early yet so....?) we're really looking forward to chilling with plain and simple food:thumb:

Tomorrow we prepare for "phase two" ...the next wave of guests and mass feeding!! Hey ho!

Perhaps having Xmas and New Year so close together was a big mistake:DOH:

Charlie
 
Hi Charlie,

Love reading your updates! Glad you had a busy fun Ristmas time, I also love the walking Jasper news...isn't that the best walking him! I just got my boy home this past Monday and slowly been walking him on a leash, sometimes wish I was living in a place with some open areas where he could run that's the down side of living in a city.

Have a lovely New Years!

Love,

Sarah

xxooxx
 
OS and Physio updates!

Hi all,

I saw my OS yesterday (six weeks) he was most apologetic that he couldn't have made my "new" leg EXACTLY the same length as my non operated one (it's less than 1/4 inch different) .... the fact is that he DID extend it by about 2 inches as it is!! He did say that he was pushing the limits as it was .... so I forgave him with a thankful smile, he's such a nice bloke!

Anyway he was very pleased with things but wants to see me again in 6 weeks to check that the fractured Trocanter continues to heal properly.

My feisty Physio Debbie gave me a hard time for LIMPING whilst walking without sticks!

She roared "STOP LIMPING .... SQUEEZE YOUR BUTTOCKS...SUCK IN YOUR TUMMY ....DON'T BOTHER WALKING IF YOU'RE GOING TO LIMP!!"

All the time she was grinning ear to ear.

She advised me not to relax the 90 degree rules etc until 12 weeks are up due to the fracture but gave me some new exercises to build up my Glutes.

All in all I was pretty pleased and encouraged, I can feel my gait improving just in a short time ... even tho' I do grit my teeth a lot:th_heehee:

Hope you're all good and happy.

Charlie
 
Excellent Charlie! Wow! Imagine adding that amount of length? You must really notice the difference when walking! What a great Christmas present on top of the new hip! That must have been very difficult...
 
Charlie....

Love this update!! Your physical therapist must know my lady. They all seem to have the same message on the limp and sounds like there is no way around the simple fact, heel to toe and BUM in..or in other words squeeze your bottom please!!

The other adorable thing you say and I swear it's an English trait you called your surgeon a Nice bloke!

Without boring you it reminded me when I had my major car wreck here in USA the ironic thing was an English gentleman that hit me head on (he drove the wrong way) about a year after the accident we had to meet for legal depositions etc. when he first met me he looked like my grandad then he went to tear up and started to apologize soooooo yes I then went to also apologize and let him know all was ok and not to worry short version my lawyer at the same time had to cut us off quickly, we were there for legal reason, insurance etc it was pretty important. I was thinking maybe we could have a nice cup of tea and talk about home. Like me he was living on Philadelphia working etc. He just made a silly mistake and took a wrong street famously known for bad signs and that's how we met head on, he wasn't drunk or anything bad. It was a genuine accident. To this day I think that's a natural English trait to say sorry and be nice maybe not for everyone but most!!

Sorry to babble!

I start out therapy next week wooohoooo also working on the famous limp thing!

Sending lots of love,

Sarah

Xxooxx
 
Girls, don't be too despondent about that gait issue. I just unearthed a video of myself doing flags in Durham Cathedral. This was about a year before my TKR and many months before my knee was really bothering me so there was no real excuse for what my horrified eyes saw - I was waddling just like a penguin! So yesterday when I went out, I kept an eye on my gait and had to really apply my mind to walking properly!

If I can edit that bit out of the 40 min long vid, I will post it so you can see the hen King Emperor penguin in action!
 
Would be good to see that Jo:) hubby asked me this morning "why do you waddle when you first walk unaided"
Sandy
 
Hahahaha Josephine you have such a lovely sense of humor! Would love to see the video! King Emperor Penguin LOVE!!
 
Oh - it's just Emperor penguin, isn't it! :th_heehee:
 
*waves hello to Charlie*

I've had the loveliest time reading through your thread here! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful journey and (mis)adventures as well!

Gives me great hope for my own recovery! :flowerysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom