Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cardie,

Thanks for your carefully worded and gentle reply .... Jo is probably right and although you didn't actually call me it ... I suppose I do border on the Nit Wit most of the time!! I put it down to impatience ....as usual.

You are of course absolutely correct I shouldn't attempt any more extreme exercises until much further down the line and I've spoken to my OS.

Thanks again!!

Charlie NW
 
Hi all,

Just had my first appointment with the Physio who was very nice. Apparently I'm doing really well which was good to hear. I've got to work on getting my operated leg up to 90 degrees by laying on my back and pulling up the thigh with a towel or whatever. I tried it and got to about 75 degrees so lots to go.

She did warn me that my recovery was going to be longer due to the fact that during the operation my Trochanter was fractured and had to be wired up. :frown:
So not good news ... she reckoned that I have to very careful that the fracture has to heal properly, and depending on how that goes will obviously have an impact on the speed of recovery. So only a gradual increase of weight on the operated leg after 4 weeks .... what a pain!!!
Interestingly she also told me that my op took a very long time due to the complicated nature of my Perthean hip and that I would have had a significantly larger dose of General Anaesthetic than "normal" and it may take 4 - 5 weeks to get it out of my system .... it just gets better doesn't it??!!

So I'm going to feel tired a lot and I'm not to overdo things (please note Jo!!) .... it was good to get more information but I am feeling a bit down and it looks like the goal of Tap Dancing by Xmas will have to be postponed!

Charlie Glum
 
So I'm going to feel tired a lot and I'm not to overdo things (please note Jo!!) .... it was good to get more information but I am feeling a bit down and it looks like the goal of Tap Dancing by Xmas will have to be postponed!

Hi Charlie!

Don't be glum, you always seem so bright and enthusiastic! You can still tap dance by Xmas -- no one said the shoes had to be on your feet....

Go easy on your new hip and take your time, if you are feeling a bit down then project out into the future "by this time next year, I'll be doing _______" (fill in the blank). Mine was a veiled threat to my kids, "by this time next year I'll mow the lawn by own darn self!" :hissyfit:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Absolutely! From another fracture patient, we do get there eventually. Must admit, I probably would have done much better quicker had I been full weight bearing, but in the over all scheme of things, it's really no big deal, just a little harder getting around.

Unfortuantely, I had other complications that I knew were going on, just not what it was until recently. Now I have to deal with that almost two years later.

I must admit, putting that aside, I would be all healed and perfect right now! You will get there, just need the ol' patience a little longer :wink1:. Hang in there and try not to get depressed over it. It's over and you are recovering!
 
Hey CC

Good and not so good news. But I was thi king of it as a positive that you now have that benchmark as to where you are at.

What happened during surgery is important, what happens from now on is the rest of your life.. It may go a little slower, but the worse is over i.e. the surgery.

Your signature says it all:

You have the technology, now settling in;
Your OS had the capability to perform the complex surgery;

YOU can rebuild yourself, slow and steady wins the race. The body is a great self healer, accept the tiredness as part of the healing. Each time you nap, your body moves into the rebuilding mode.... So nap on my friend Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's
 
Heartfelt thanks to Cardie, Janet and "SM" for your messages of encouragement and positivity (is that a word??).

Had a good nights sleep and the sun is shining (for once), have done all my exercises and can see an improvement already in the hip angle! so I'm feeling a lot more positive today and yes "SM" I do believe in my signature I just didn't think it meant mentally as well as physically but your messages have done that!

Love

Charlie xxx
 
Hi Charlie,

It is 10:32 pm here in OZ, but I just wanted to have my last "fix" of BS.

Charlie, my name is Sandy :) just wanted to share that with you.

So pleased the sun is shining and your exercises were a little easier. I just know that each day you will see that little bit extra improvement.

YOU CAN DO IT MY GOOD FRIEND

lol, Sandy
 
You are most welcome Charlie :)
 
Hello Charlie,
I just had the chance to read through this thread and wanted to let you know that you have a fellow nit wit in me. Really related to your struggle with discerning proactive from impatient. I am 5 days behind you in recovery and hitting (and perhaps banging my head against) some of the walls you describe. After reading the thread I will focus on channelling the Force and try not to do damage.
 
Hi Charlie, just catching up on your thread and recognise your frustration. I've said it so many times but having patience is one of the toughest things about recovery. Please be careful not to get ahead of yourself or overdo things. I set myself back by getting over confident in my ability and strained my psoas......6 months down the line I'm still regretting it. Take each day at a time , its still early days......I bet even Steve Austin had to build up gradually lol
 
Charlie

Just been reading through your thread. i have to agree with the others - patience and gradual improvements are the key to these hip recoveries.

I second the comment from Lisa......

"...I bet even Steve Austin had to build up gradually lol "

Take it easy (easier said than done!)

Regards

Dave
 
Hi to all you Impatient Patients and Nit Wits!

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement it's really helped me get my head round things and bolstered my fighting spirit. It is amazing what words can do isn't it! (the right ones of course!).

There is proof that people going to their GPs and discussing their problems actually makes them feel better even if no meds are prescribed, just by being taken seriously!
Well I suppose BS is full of sympathetic "GPs" and we all take everybody else seriously .... what could be better and you don't even have to make an appointment!!

What a great bunch!

Love

Charlie
hugs & x's for the girls and manly hugs for the chaps!
 
Charlie....I think you're on to something. Maybe we need a BoneSmartie NitWit Group as truthfully, most of us have done some impatient things in our recovery! So you'll never be alone in that respect.

But, I think you have the right attitude and you're definitely going to get to the point where you're enjoying that new hip. Hang in there!!
 
And on top of all that Charlie...It is FREE! No $$$ or insurance :wink1: accepted or required!
 
Good luck Charlie! You seem to be progressing well and are taking the time you need to do this recovery right. It's something I have to keep reminding myself of every single minute!
 
Very odd! I'd written this post 4 hours ago and for some reason, probably 'cos I'm **** at technology, it didn't post ....unless I sent it by mistake to the Pre Op Knee section...

Anyway it's 24 days since I became a cyborg! Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself!!

As with most major events in my life it seems like yesterday and months ago at the same time ....if that makes sense?

I must be making progress as moving around isn't so difficult and my long suffering wife (let's not underestimate our carers) says she thinks I could "do more". Up until now she's been very strict about me not overdoing things (of course I did but she didn't know until too late!).

As she was changing my dressing today I saw my badge of honour (scar) for the first time, in the bedroom mirror ....it's GIGANTIC!!! it must be 10" (25cms) long and my glute looks like all the air has been let out (not pretty).

Did my longest walk today and also washed up and fed and watered the dog ..... yes I know I can hear what you're thinking "he's overdoing it again" but I promise you I'm not ..... no really I'm not!

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Charlie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom