Guest viewing is limited

THR We can re-build him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Charlie

Sounds like you felt comfortable and confident doing the few jobs these are the the little achievements that go to the

"we can rebuild him"

Well done :)

Sandy
 
I caught a glimpse of my incision today for the first time also. I wasn't thrilled with what i saw either but im feeling better so I guess that's the price I have to pay!

Your dailies sound good and you'll know when you've done too much!
Great work!
 
Good morning from OZ, Charlie and Buffi

Hey Buffi, the only way I get to see my scar is when my hubby takes a photo. I stand, he says nothing, I start to wonder and then after much pause he says " all fine" - then we get into the debate of - define "fine" , let alone the word "all"..... Too much fun and laughter in our house :th_heehee:
 
Had an "angry" day today, dunno quite why. :scratch:

I woke up feeling ok physically, and my exercises went pretty well, I'm clearly getting stronger but maybe I'm getting frustrated.

It didn't help that we went to a supermarket and EVERBODY seemed to get in my way!!
People actually seemed to be aiming their shopping trolleys (carts) at me or weren't looking where they were going resulting in me having to stop or move aside every 10 seconds.
Nightmare!!:hissyfit:

I suppose everybody's heard of Sod's or Murphy's law? Basically they're the same thing ie "everything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong....."

I think both of them were optimists!!

That's how I'm feeling today....

Oh well Christmas is coming ...... but that's another story!! Watch this space!!

Mr Grumpy
 
Hi Charlie,

Well, my suggestion is to stop visiting the grocery store so often and do something enjoyable like go out to lunch with your wife. The grocery store is just fraught with peril and Murphy's law.

It's ok to be grumpy -- part of the rainbow of emotions... Anything there at home that would be uplifting to do?? Watch a movie, do some genealogical research, plan the garden for spring...

Sorry the view of your incision deflated you a bit, there's plenty of time for that to change and it will in time.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Listen Charlie, on any given day, if I take Bill to the local grocery store with me, it is battle time! Top it off with holiday shopping and people chatting in the aisles, or rushing and not paying attention, you really are risking life and limb!

Not really a suitable place for a THR recipient at the moment. Save your tail feathers and stay put! Why join the crazies who won't know they half killed you anyway :DOH:
 
Hi CC

I think you and I are on the same wave length... These "angry days" seem to creep up on one! There seems to be no rhyme or reason, just wake up like that....

Then the day seems goes down hill from then on.

So what is the answer to when a day starts off like that - get back into bed and get out the other side, isn't that an old saying from the old country that I seem to remember as a child.

Frustration - now that is another funny emotion, as you say you felt physically ok, your exercises went well, but there was this frustration, just discussed it with hubby and he says his research shows that the drugs and chemicals that were pumped into us as part of the surgery and post surgery are still being slowly released from the deep cells and therefore will make us feel bad without any outward reason for it... What do you think Charlie, sound reasonable?

I must admit, I have this research scientist (hubby) who is a deep thinker and delves into and finds all the latest scientific research and conclusions. It's funny, one day I might say - 'this hurts' and he will get out his IPad with his 3D imaging of the skeleton, muscles, tendons etc etc and say this is the reason this is hurting for you right now because whilst you are doing that exercise this is what you are using.....

Just a quiet thinker who digs down into the detail - comes from his intelligence background I think...

So I know that this didn't solve your 'angry, feeling day, but you gotta admit CC, it was a good read and distracted you for a few minutes.... :)
 
p.s. I feel like this most of the time :) xx
 
Charlie

We all have days when we feel a bit off. I think it stems from the impatience at what appears at times to be a slow progress in the recovery process.

I think i turn into Victor Meldrew in supermarkets particularly at this time of year (reference to British sitcom charater probably lost on other nationalities!)

Its the same in the car with all the other b-------s on the roads!! Get out of my way!!!

All the best

Dave
 
Thanks to "Les Girls" for those pearls of wisdom!

Yes avoiding food shopping does seem key at this stage, not something I'll miss:th_heehee:

Sandy I think John has hit the nail on the head, there's never been a period in my life when I've consumed so many chemicals in the form of painkillers and the long lasting GA!

Tomorrow's another day ..... I wonder who I'll be??

Charlie
 
Ooooops sorry Dave your post must have come in as I was replying to the girls.
Today I was a cross between Basil Fawlty and Victor Meldrew ....bring on that Festive Season!! (pass me the baseball bat):loll:

Charlie
 
Now I do know Basil Faulty... Watched and laughed through his shows a lot. We get all the reruns here in OZ!
 
Further to my post yesterday concerning Messrs Sod & Murphy!

My grown up son split up from the mother of my grandson a couple of years ago which was sad for all .... except my son is really happy now and my grandson has adjusted really well .... don't worry I'll get to the point in a minute.

The thing is, that even when they were together I was never allowed to see my grandson on Christmas day, that privilege went to his maternal grandparents .... my son's partner would not budge (very selfish you may say .... and be correct). I accepted this under protest to keep the fragile peace.

So this year, because of my operation, we'd planned a very quiet Christmas ..... you know what's coming don't you!!??

Yes she's relented and we'll see my grandson on the big day and all our relations on my side ...so it's 10 for Xmas dinner!!!

I'd better get exercising ....and resting .... I gonna need all my strength!

Charlie
 
Fantastic Charlie

That will do wonders to blow away those difficult, slow days - not long now to Xmas Day, and what a wonderful gathering you will have.

I am so pleased for you :)

Sandy xx
 
WEIGHT BEARING?

Tomorrow is 4 weeks post op....unbelievable!

Anyway my OS said I can weight bear after 4 weeks, I had to wait because of a fractured Trocanter which was wire up. I also have an uncemented insert.

My question is how much weight should I apply? Do I gradually increase, which seems sensible....but as you all know being sensible isn't one of my strong suits!! Or do I just go for it?

Anybody had experience of similar?

All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
 
Hi Charlie

This is just a social drop by... I don't believe I am qualified to offer an opinion on how you approach the weight bearing issue. I would probably be cautious.

Have you had a good day?

Sandy
 
Yes Charlie, I do believe you hit the nail on the head with this one. Gradual is key. You don't want to lift more than say 10-15 pounds this early on anyway, at least that is what I was told after my fractured trochanter.

I actually was told NEVER more than 15 pounds, but if I had the same amount in each hand (as in grocery bags) or at chest level it could be a bit more. I know others had up to 75 pounds.

I must say that when I lifted my little 30 pound grandaughter into high chairwithout thinking I sure felt it after. But then again, I have never been a strong person and I am a female.

Others will be along with their opinions on this, but I would be inclined to ask my OS office this one as there are so many variables. I actually had a print out stating this, but I don't know for how long it meant.

Aslo, that is fantastic for the Christmas dinner! Wha ta lovely present! Enjoy!
 
Hi Charlie,
I am wondering what kind of weight bearing you mean? Full weight on the operated leg, or, lifting weight with the leg or upper body? Either way I think the advice to take it slow and be cautious is key. Regarding weight bearing on the operated leg, the only direction I received was to "play with it", which I did and I retreated anytime I felt any discomfort - by that I mean when I went from 2 crutches to one, as soon as it did not feel good I grabbed the 2nd crutch for the rest of the day; when I went from 1crutch to the cane, same thing, as soon as it became uncomfortable I went back to the crutch, etc. For weights on the legs, if that is what you mean, I think you should have the guidance of a physical therapist.
Good luck! And pleeeeaaaase, don't overdo it. (Are you getting tired of hearing that?)
Anita
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom