Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still without electric. Hot,Hot,Hot. Yesterday was 4 weeks since surgery. Think I am little sad today. Family is having cookout but is too hot for me. Decided to stay home. Hubby going for boat ride. I can't get in river, knee still has some areas not healed. Do not want infection. Wanted to cut back percocet, taking 5/325 3 to 4 times day but leg ends up aching. So going to ask OS for refill.
We had huge damage and loss from storm on Friday. Try not to get down but think it is too late.
Tried to help with clean up but was in the way. Just needed to vent.
 
I am so very sorry to read of your plight! I hope that you get the power and the AC back on pronto! We have a Heat Advisory now and the heat index is over 100*. Please do not worry about venting---that is what we are here for! I hope that everything gets cleaned up and power restored to you quickly!
 
Vent away Vicki its ok :gaah:
I am 2 days after you with my RTKR so I know how you are feeling. I think its all part of the healing process and there is very little we can do about it. I went out in my garden this evening after dinner and was so sad to see my roses gasping for the watering can I had to get my son to fill it up and water my flowers. It just reminded me that I am incapable of doing so many things that I could do before my op. Still patience has to be the order of the day but I have to admit I am so sick of sitting around watching DVD's and cant wait till I am able to do a little more.
Best of luck and remember you are not alone :).
Ciao Viv xx
 
Hi Vicki,

Sounds too early to be cutting back on meds. Better to be in a situation where you "forget" to take them here and there and then you know that you are really needing them less.

And it's hard not to be able to participate in everything you'd like right now. The time will pass...but slowly... :puppysmooze:

I sure hope you get power soon! :)
 
Thanks for the replies. Just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Everyone out having fun I am just having my own pity party. Our electric has been off since last Friday. Hope to have it back on by end of week. We have had record temps. High 90's and getting to cool 80's at night. We do have a generator so we have a fan but just had internet and cable turned back on yesterday.
Just adds fuel to the fire. I think I am over my pity party for awhile. Counted my pills and don't think I am going to have enough until Monday. Have doc appointment then. Have to call and see if he will write script. New law can't call percocet in to pharmacy. Have to have written.
I have read some people take 2 percocet to help them sleep. Anyone have input on this. Sleeping has been an issue. Seems I can only sleep about 2 hours at a time. I think more sleep would help me immensely
 
Vent away Vicki its ok :gaah:
I am 2 days after you with my RTKR so I know how you are feeling. I think its all part of the healing process and there is very little we can do about it. I went out in my garden this evening after dinner and was so sad to see my roses gasping for the watering can I had to get my son to fill it up and water my flowers. It just reminded me that I am incapable of doing so many things that I could do before my op. Still patience has to be the order of the day but I have to admit I am so sick of sitting around watching DVD's and cant wait till I am able to do a little more.
Best of luck and remember you are not alone :).
Ciao Viv xx

Coniglietta, I think having more patience would help but that is easier said than done. I am usually a patient person but seems like I am more frustrated. Recovery has been slower than I anticipated. In many ways I know I am doing well. I have returned to work part time. Started driving, I am able to walk much more and without any devices. But so many things I thought I would be doing I am not able to or just don't have the energy. Also went to outpatient PT on Monday and theapist made me feel like was was not doing well. She was not encouraging at all. I think they should be our cheerleaders too! She was all business. Might just be my tender feelings again.
Thanks for your kind and wise words. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.
 
Vicki, give yourself a break, sweetie. You are just 4 weeks post op and are doing marvelously. If you've done your reading here, you know that this is a long recovery compared to other surgeries. And being young and/or in great physical shape does nothing to make it faster. Wishing and wanting it to be faster doesn't help either. You just can't count on others to be there for you when you need them--tough reality check. But you know you will always have cheerleaders here--
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
'cause we know where you're coming from and where you're going! TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE---it's the name of the game; and it's so hard for most of us. The fatigue factor is tremendous--that lack of stamina is tough on all of us. Only TIME is going to give it back to us, and we have to be PATIENT 'til it returns. Please take care of yourself.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
I used to take 2 percocet every 4 hours right after surgery and all I did was sleep. After a few weeks or so I started to go to every 6 hours. How was it prescribed to you? I don't see how 2 at bedtime could hurt. I'm at 5 weeks now and have been trying to see if I can cut back on percocet. I can but feel better taking 1 along with an extra strength Tylenol.
I can't imagine going through this with no A/C! That would push me right over the edge. I'm still low on energy too. I'm happy I can do more things but then I get so tired! I guess this is where the patience part of recovery comes in.
Sorry your PT is such a nudge. Making you feel bad isn't going to accomplish anything. I got lucky with mine. I had in home for 4 weeks and I really liked her. The doctor said I could go to outpatient for another 2 weeks but I think I'll pass. I need to work on endurance and balance and I can do that on my own.
Vent away as needed, that's part of the healing process too.
 
Thanks for the replies. Just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Everyone out having fun I am just having my own pity party. Our electric has been off since last Friday. Hope to have it back on by end of week. We have had record temps. High 90's and getting to cool 80's at night. We do have a generator so we have a fan but just had internet and cable turned back on yesterday.
Just adds fuel to the fire. I think I am over my pity party for awhile. Counted my pills and don't think I am going to have enough until Monday. Have doc appointment then. Have to call and see if he will write script. New law can't call percocet in to pharmacy. Have to have written.
I have read some people take 2 percocet to help them sleep. Anyone have input on this. Sleeping has been an issue. Seems I can only sleep about 2 hours at a time. I think more sleep would help me immensely

I do hope that your power comes back soon. That has to be awful. Not sleeping is the pits. I have not been sleeping and things are just getting tougher for me. I think that I am really not healing well because of lack of sleep, and all the stress in my life. I am still taking two percocet at night and it does help me get to sleep and maybe get 4-5 hours of sleep. You can also take benedryl with it, which is what is in the tylenol PM, or you can take it when you wake up after the two hours and then you would get more sleep... I am going to call my general practicioner tomorrow and ask about some kind of sleeping aid. Some friends have convinced me that with all that I am going through and the lack of sleep it is nearly impossible for me to heal and get through the hardships that I am facing... Anyway I am thinking that you may want to consider some kind of sleeping aid for a time as well.

That heat has to make sleep hard to come by also. Hang in there. :friends:
 
I understand what you are saying Vicki, the head says yes and the leg says no:sad: - nevermind from now on the only way is up !!
Best of luck, if I could take a little bit of your heat away it would help us both !!! we have none here....
Viv xx
 
Coniglietta, I think having more patience would help but that is easier said than done. I am usually a patient person but seems like I am more frustrated. Recovery has been slower than I anticipated. In many ways I know I am doing well. I have returned to work part time. Started driving, I am able to walk much more and without any devices. But so many things I thought I would be doing I am not able to or just don't have the energy. Also went to outpatient PT on Monday and theapist made me feel like was was not doing well. She was not encouraging at all. I think they should be our cheerleaders too! She was all business. Might just be my tender feelings again.
Thanks for your kind and wise words. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Recovery for just about all of us---trust me on this---was much slower than wer all would have liked it to be! I know that your patience is being tested---especially now with your lack of electricity and such---and that lack of energy is all part of the game---stamina for me was the last thing to fully return.

I am sorry to read of your therapist---I also believe that they should have a more positive outlook and help you along and not be "Debbie Downers."

Hang in ther---while your patience is certainly being tested on different levels and in different ways, you are making progress and you are being successful in your recovery!
 
Day 7, electric back on! Yay! We have been having record breaking temps. So hot night and day. It has been so draining. Ready for life to get back to normal now. Whatever that is :-)
 
vicledsome said:
Day 7, electric back on! Yay! We have been having record breaking temps. So hot night and day. It has been so draining. Ready for life to get back to normal now. Whatever that is :-)

Oh, thank goodness! So many people have been suffering, just awful!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
Finally! Spent a week without power in 1997 with Hurricane Fran. Understand the frustration and discomfort. It's tough--but we do manage to do what we have to. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom