Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicki, we wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon. Kelly
 
Vic- Wishing you the best today!
Check at the hospital where your mom will be having rad/chemo treatments. Often there are several support networks offering driving to and from treatments, cleaning help, etc. Please ask about these, there are so many support networks available.
Good luck and keep us posted! Wishing you a speedy, painless recovery!
 
Well I am on the other side. What a journey. Reported a the hospital at 6:30. My blood pressure was all over the place, I was afraid they would cancel. Doc got it under control. Gave me a patch ro wear behind my ear for nausea. Decided to have spinal and nerveblock. Surgery took about 1 and 1/2 hours. Brought me to my room. Private room thank goodness. Still was nausea. Itched like crazy but no rash. Doc said most likely meds (morphine) I think. Itched for 2 days. Tried benedryl but didn't help. Just had to wear off. Started PT. They certainly don't read bonesmart forum. Walk all you can walk and then some. I didn't think the leg would have such a dead feeling. Don't elevate and ice either. On June 6, day after surgery, did excercises, walked and walked to bathroom 5 times. The 6th time decided, I could walk myself. Walker was across the room. Thought I could make it. My knee buckled and down I went. Had to put me on a backboard. Broke my wrist, twisted my knee and made many nurses angry. Today has been a bad day. Can't use my hand, nerve block wearing off, still nauseated. How ever with nerve block wearing off have more feeling in my leg. Many say first 3 days are the worst. I hope so I have been miserable.
Think I will be released tomorrow. Mixed emotions on that. I know it will be more difficult to get around, but there is no place like home. Doc prescribed 2 percoset every 4 hours. Not sure what I will have to take home.
My good news is my mom had her surgery today and only took two lymph nodes, I am so happy.
I will update soon as these drugs do mess with your mind.
 
Vic- I am so sorry to hear of your rough start!
We (my roommate and I) were under VERY STRICT orders to NOT get out of bed without someone there. They were great about it, we did not have to wait when we rang for them. They also stressed this at the pre-op class- that we were NEVER going to be unassisted when out of bed.
The itching I had seemed to wear off in a few days, I had a bit on the dilaudud, too that went away even while still on the drug.
Well, you best rest up now- you know what to do. Hold off on the PT except for the very gentle home exercises they probably sent you home with.
SO GLAD for your mom, too! That is good news. There is loads of support out there for patients and there families having chemo and/or radiation treatment-ask at the hospital where she will have therapy.
Good luck and keep us posted!
 
The reason you leg buckled was the femoral nerve block--they should have explained more fully that your leg would not support you. I had the same experience with one and mine lasted 3 days I fell 10 times> I will never have another one of those things.

With my tka, I could get out of bed and walk to the bathroom with no problems or need for assistance. I need to feel like I can move around--just that antsy personality, I guess. K
 
Vicki, I am glad that you are on the other side. Sorry to hear that you have had such a rough start. I hope that you will be able to rest, ice, elevate and take your pain meds on schedule in the comfort of your own home very soon. Hang in there. :friends:
 
Vicki.....I'm glad you're in recovery now. I want to stress how important it is that you put yourself first for a while. You cannot force the recovery process. Thank goodness your mom came through her surgery okay also. Now BOTH of you can rest and heal together.
 
It is Friday, had surgery Tuesday. I am being released today. The wrist is an issue i did not think I would have to deal with. Definately complicates things. I am using a platform walker. Hope that passes soon. My ROM is 90. Scared but anxious to be home.
 
I am glad to read that you are on "the other side" now! It will be good to get home and let the healing begin there!

Take it easy, ice/rest/elevate!

Please post back when you are able to and let us know how things are going for you.
 
Vicki, Glad to here your surgery is over and youare heading home. I'm going to rehab today. Still can't focus or stay awake to rad and write much, but wanted to say hello.
 
Vicki, so glad you're on the other side and your recovery is a head of you! The fall is a setback no doubt, you did not expect your wrist to be in the mix, however you will get through it just go slow and be good to yourself!:friends:

Congrats about your moms outcome!:thumb:
 
Glad to hear you made it to the other side. Sorry you had a bad start to your recovery. I am sure you are feeling better being home. Glad your mom did ok with her surgery
 
Yesterday was one week since surgery. Been a long week. My wrist has improved some but still not able to use to help me move. Home PT has visited 2 times. My ROM is 109. I have the cold sore from Hell. My entire upper lip. Wish that thing would go away. Know you are feeling better when a cold sore is your biggest problem.
Another issue is my quad. It is working but when I try to lift my leg straight up just won't happen. Any advice?
 
TIME & PATIENCE, Vicki. The straight leg lift is one of the most difficult right after surgery for a lot of TKRers. It will come eventually. Your PT should be able to help you with that.

Sorry about that cold sore. That's one thing I've been spared from having in my lifetime--I hope it continues as I understand that a quite painful as well as unattractive.

Good to hear that you're doing pretty well in spite of the wrist. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Vicki, contract your quad and then lift. Lower your leg and then release. repeat. K
 
Getting my staples removed tomorrow. Will see what OS says. Feel like I am doing well aside from quad, but maybe expecting too much too soon. I have not been in the car since coming home last Friday. Was miserable trip home due to fact couldn't bend. Also don't know how much you need your wrist until you can't use it.
 
My quad took a few weeks to come back to life! It was so atrophied from hardly being used pre-op that it did not want to wake up post-op!
It was toward the end of the 3rd week that it came back to life. I was telling my very kind home PT that my husband has to help me lift that leg during my leg lift exercises, and she responded that she was not helping at that moment! And I looked and I was doing it all by myself!
And now that leg is getting very strong!:yes 4:
Keep at it, but with patience! :thumb:
 
Feel like I am doing well aside from quad, but maybe expecting too much too soon.

We all did---do not worry about it---practice patience and don't fret---everything will come back in due time; you have to remember that now, you are on your knee's schedule, not yours.

I remember my first two car rides after my BTKR---i was also in agony, too. It was about the most painful thing that i have ever gone through!
 
12 days since surgery. Had Staples taken out 4 days ago. Started having trouble with bottom of wound leaking. When I tighten quad it spews. Had one big mess. Went to ER, did xrays and blood work. Everything looks ok. Said to quit blood thinner, this is last day. Said to go see my OS tomorrow. Was not infected. Is rust colored not real red, but much has leaked. Does anyone think that my lack of strength of quad and this problem could be related?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom