Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry, I fell the day after TLKR. Broke my wrist and could have done it then. My husband also said that a few hours after surgery when my leg was moved I asked if anyone heard the loud pop. I don't remember that, ( could have been the drugs). At any rate I feel like I am going back to the beginning.
 
Merry, I fell the day after TLKR. Broke my wrist and could have done it then. My husband also said that a few hours after surgery when my leg was moved I asked if anyone heard the loud pop. I don't remember that, ( could have been the drugs). At any rate I feel like I am going back to the beginning.

I had TKR on June 5. Been having problems with quad but turns out it is a Blown Tendon. Anyone with experience, or advice.
Surgery scheduled July 18, 2012. I am not looking forward to this.
So Sorry to hear of this. What bad luck...it is a challenge for all of us to stay strong psychologically. It 's goo that you have your husband there to support you. We all feel for you!
 
WOW That really Stinks!!! I can only imagine the racing thoughts traveling through your mind at this point. I wish I had some nice quark I could rattle off, but I do not think there are such little phrases in times such as this. But I do know that this too shall pass, even though I imagine this battle seems like one that will last for eternity.
I know at this point it feels like you are going back to the begining, but with the wisdom you have gained from this pain will hopefully keep propelling you forward. I used to be a runner(huh bad knees now go figure) and I know miles 7 and 8 during a mini marathon were the worst. I could not see the finish line and I was too far out to go back. Thus I looked for each light pole and would then try to find the next one. If I tried to think of the finish line it was too overwhelming, so I had to pick smaller successes. You know the drill, your knee pain before hand has been training you for such miserable crappy setbacks for sometime now.
Also I would allow yourself to feel sad and ticked, you have a right to. As long as this is not 24/7 of course. You will be in my thoughts and Prayers. Your surgery is July 18th correct? Is that your first of the two you were talking about? I want to be able to take times those days and try to send some kind of positive vibe your way.

You will make it

Gumper, Dufus, or Jim. Whichever you prefer.
 
PS Drunk was supposed to be ticked, I do not know how it auto corrected to that. NO DRINKING
 
I fell in hospital day after surgery. I had been back and forth to bathroom several times thought I could do it by myself. Problem, walker was across room. Also still had nerve block. Long story short, fell with leg wrapped behind me. Hospital called a code, strapped me to backboard, and many xrays later, left wrist broke knee and leg bruised but no injury. My surgery was June 5. Wrist was set back but proceeded well with knee. I am having trouble with my quad. can't lift my leg straight in air more than 8 inches. Don't know if fall was related. OS said knee cap might not be sitting exact yet. Still have swelling. Day 12 had gusher, doc said I could have broken suture. Wasn't blood but serious? Rust colored, went to ER, xray again all was well, just maximum amount of liquid. My ROM is good, extension is good, walking well. Don't think fall slowed me down, except for wrist.

Pulled your description about the fall in from your other post as I doubt you feel up to reliving it yet again. I can't even imagine how it felt and how scary that fall must have been for you.

Whether it was the fall or the pop that you heard, having additional surgery......... :sad: well, I am so so sorry, Vicki.

Hoping that from here on it will be the best of everything for you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
I had TKR on June 5. Been having problems with quad but turns out it is a Blown Tendon. Anyone with experience, or advice. Surgery scheduled July 18, 2012. I am not looking forward to this.
Thanks Nyland! Feels like a punch in the gut. Not only do I have to have surgery to repair, will have to have surgery to remove wire. 2 Surgeries :-(
And something about leg immobilizer. Only gets worse.
That's a shame. I would think that the torn Achilles tendon was something that you were always destined to get, TKR or no. What happens is that the tendon may either be partially torn or completely. Either way, the surgeon may simply be able to stitch the two ends together. Depending upon how easy or difficult this is to do, the leg can either be put in a cast with the toe pointing down - as per image - or, if the repair is more secure, an immobiliser might be used instead. However, if a cast is used, it will likely be exchanged for an immobiliser after a few weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

It should be remembered that Achilles tendons usually tear because the condition of ligament tissue has become impaired in some way, weakened in other words, and a series of otherwise quite normal activities or one or two more impacting ones, might cause the tissue to give way. Because of this and the fact that the blood supply to such major ligaments is not abundant, healing can take some time. It's not uncommon for the ligament to give way again in the first few months after repair. Hence you will find your surgeon very cautious about removing the cast and/or immobiliser.
 
Vicki, I'm so sorry! The good news is that now they know, at 5 weeks, and can fix it. You still have that shiny new knee that is doing well, and all your parts, knee, wrist and tendon, will be healing together. Can you imagine if each one of these were 6 months apart? I know, it really is just a bummer, and it's hard to spin it in a positive light, but I'm trying! Hang in there!
 
That's a shame. I would think that the torn Achilles tendon was something that you were always destined to get, TKR or no. What happens is that the tendon may either be partially torn or completely. Either way, the surgeon may simply be able to stitch the two ends together. Depending upon how easy or difficult this is to do, the leg can either be put in a cast with the toe pointing down - as per image - or, if the repair is more secure, an immobiliser might be used instead. However, if a cast is used, it will likely be exchanged for an immobiliser after a few weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12 [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

It should be remembered that Achilles tendons usually tear because the condition of ligament tissue has become impaired in some way, weakened in other words, and a series of otherwise quite normal activities or one or two more impacting ones, might cause the tissue to give way. Because of this and the fact that the blood supply to such major ligaments is not abundant, healing can take some time. It's not uncommon for the ligament to give way again in the first few months after repair. Hence you will find your surgeon very cautious about removing the cast and/or immobiliser.

I don't thnk it is Achilles tendon. OS is going to put cable in kneecap to attach to tendon. Then will have to have cable removed.
 
Hey Vicki, sorry to hear that you have to go through even more surgery. Seems like you've been given more challenges than most. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
Vicki. We're you on CIPRO by any chance? It is unfortunately one of the side effects and there is now a black box warning on this drug. I developed a really bad case of patellar tendinitis from this drug, fortunately no rupture. Actually i prefer to call it jumpers knee as it sounds more athletic and surely I am not.
 
I have taken Cipro in the past but not for several months. My guess the fall caused injury. It appears I am going to have to wear knee brace for quite a while. Anyone have experience?
 
Vicki, you should go to RestAssured's thread "The Story of My Knees" and ask her for input. She has experience with wearing a brace.
 
Vicki, I'm so sorry! The good news is that now they know, at 5 weeks, and can fix it. You still have that shiny new knee that is doing well, and all your parts, knee, wrist and tendon, will be healing together. Can you imagine if each one of these were 6 months apart? I know, it really is just a bummer, and it's hard to spin it in a positive light, but I'm trying! Hang in there!


Janet that is looking on the bright side. I have been trying to be positive but it is difficult sometimes. Thanks for the positive thoughts!
 
Today is 5 week anniversary of my knee. Yesterday I was so excited, thought I was improving each day. Now another surgery, going to have to wear immobilizer for weeks, just feeling so down. I guess the bright side is that the fact that I can't lift my leg will be fixed. Anyone have experience with Patellar Tendon rupture surgery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom