Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Vicky! I just finished reading your thread! Wow, you have been through a lot, but I am so glad that you have had a pretty remarkable recovery. It is also great that you finally have power! :)
 
I am 4 weeks post op from RTKR. My extension and ROM are good and continue to improve. My problem is I can barely lift my leg straight up. My OS is does not seem concerned. Took xray's. When I get in the car I have to use something to lift my leg. I can lift my leg to couch but is big effort. I am able to walk. Just have to remember heel, toe, heel toe. Use one crutch when I leave home and when I first get up. Don't need it but use it to keep me steady. I am still doing steps one at a time. I have not seen many people post about this issue. Any advice.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
Vicki, the following is an explanation of what is going on with you and how you can go about fixing it.

For some after surgery, the quadriceps muscle, in the front of your thigh, goes into a “shutdown mode”caused by excessive swelling in and around the knee. The quad was divided during surgery; and, although repaired, raising the leg puts the tendon under stress and causes pain. Thus the quad muscle is unable to generate enough tension or force to lift the leg.

Doing the quad set exercise can help strengthen the muscle. Lying in bed, tighten the muscles on the front of your thigh by pushing the back of your knee against the bed, and hold for 5-10 seconds. Do 5-10 reps. Be sure to keep breathing while doing the exercise. This should be done several times a day. The more often, the sooner you will be able to move your TKR leg without difficulty.

Hope this is helpful.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
Judy
 
Vicki, my quads did not work for almost 3 months. I would have to pick it up to get into and out of the car. I used a walker till they fully kicked in, My PT used electric stimulation and that helped some. It took a long time for mine due to an infection and swelling in my entire leg and foot. My OS was not concerned about my quads either. Guess they take time and they are all different.

You will be fine, just keep up the heel toe walking. My walk is great and all is well. You are ahead of where I was at 4 weeks and my ROM was not good in the extension. But once all the swelling went down, the ROM and extension changed.
 
Hi Vicki, you sound like you are doing great to me!:yay: I am about a week behind you, June 13, 2012. My ROM and extension are good also, however I am still doing steps one at a time, down with the bad, up with the good, and I think that is good. Now I do have trouble lifting my leg straight up from the chair but that is a strength thing, and I am seeing that improve each day. Give yourself a break, more strength in the quads will come. We are on the right road to a speedy recovery.
 
I am 57 years old. I had a LTKR on April 16th. Lost alot of blood and ended up staying in the hospital 12 days. When I got home, my quad was dead too. I had 2 prior ACL Reconstructions back in the 70's and 90's. I was an athlete in college and have hiked and biked and backpacked all my life. My OS told me I would have more problems than people who did not have prior surgeries. He did not allow me to use ice for several weeks because of the prior surgeries and scar tissue. I've had PT 3X a week since surgery and am working my butt off. I feel my knee getting stronger, but I still cannot walk without a cane. It buckles on me and almost feels like it's going to hyperextend, but I was told that isn't possible.

Anyone else had prior surgeries before their TKR? I would love to know how things have gone for you. I have to admit, I do get frustrated with not being able to walk on my own 3 months post op.
 
Hello, cajunmehow,
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement recovery forum. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then drop to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or ask questions or both.
The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond to you there or can find you when we want to post something just to you.
Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
I have been doing the quad exercises and can lift my leg straight up about 8 inches, which is an improvement. But I have not seen many post with this issue. It is always ROM. Thought maybe it was just me. It is a really weird feeling to will your leg to lift and it won't, or at least not much.
 
Do you feel the quad firing, or contracting. It doesn't sound like a big problem to me. I am at the point where the quad fires but the leg below doesn't want to go! Katie has to help it go. :)
 
It's only been 4 weeks, very early yet. I was lifting and laying my leg by hand for ages! 8" was all I was told to lift leg and hold it in the exercising. It will come in time. For long time my leg would give a wobble like it was going to give way if I walked for a bit. It will all sort itself out as you get stronger. Patience, I'm afraid
 
Geez I just wrote a long post for you and then used backspace and lost the lot! Darn. Well, here goes again

I have struggled with quads for the 7 months since surgery and for a while it was through the femoral nerve block had damaged them. Perhaps you could go and read my post "Tight Rubber Bands at 5 weeks".

I couldn't straight leg raise, so wrapped a towel under my ankle and pulled my leg up, tried to engage quads, then slowly released the tension on the towel until I could hold my leg up unassisted. The I'd lower and raise. If I let it go all the way down to the bed I couldn't lift it again.

I have had quad lag (extensor lag) from immediately post op. It has improved as the quads have improved. My knee would give way, not feeling unstable just the quads again. I had trouble walking up and down stairs as we don't have any at our house. So I'd go to a multi storey building and walk up and down them.

About two months ago I bought a kitchen step 23cms high. I use that to step up and down on. I also stand on it with my TKR leg and drop the other leg down the side and up again. Both these with support. It does seem to be helping to strengthen the quads.

Hope this helps you.
 
My PT used electrodes for about a month to help the quads come back to life. It was a weird feeling, but it really helped. I am 12 weeks post op and they still aren't where I want them to be, but they are slowly coming along.

Vicki, I think you are doing great! When I quit using the crutch and started using a cane, it seemed to help with strength and balance. You can't lean on a cane the way you lean on a crutch.
 
My PT used electrodes for about a month to help the quads come back to life. It was a weird feeling, but it really helped. I am 12 weeks post op and they still aren't where I want them to be, but they are slowly coming along.

Vicki, I think you are doing great! When I quit using the crutch and started using a cane, it seemed to help with strength and balance. You can't lean on a cane the way you lean on a crutch.

I broke my wrist day after surgery. It isn't strong enough for a cane yet. I can use splint with crutch. But I don't use crutch most of time, just on uneven ground or if I am out shopping. Many times I carry it in front of me sort of like a cane.
 
My PT used electrodes for about a month to help the quads come back to life. It was a weird feeling, but it really helped. I am 12 weeks post op and they still aren't where I want them to be, but they are slowly coming along.

Vicki, I think you are doing great! When I quit using the crutch and started using a cane, it seemed to help with strength and balance. You can't lean on a cane the way you lean on a crutch.

Geez I just wrote a long post for you and then used backspace and lost the lot! Darn. Well, here goes again

I have struggled with quads for the 7 months since surgery and for a while it was through the femoral nerve block had damaged them. Perhaps you could go and read my post "Tight Rubber Bands at 5 weeks".

I couldn't straight leg raise, so wrapped a towel under my ankle and pulled my leg up, tried to engage quads, then slowly released the tension on the towel until I could hold my leg up unassisted. The I'd lower and raise. If I let it go all the way down to the bed I couldn't lift it again.

I have had quad lag (extensor lag) from immediately post op. It has improved as the quads have improved. My knee would give way, not feeling unstable just the quads again. I had trouble walking up and down stairs as we don't have any at our house. So I'd go to a multi storey building and walk up and down them.

About two months ago I bought a kitchen step 23cms high. I use that to step up and down on. I also stand on it with my TKR leg and drop the other leg down the side and up again. Both these with support. It does seem to be helping to strengthen the quads.

Hope this helps you.


I will go check you post out. We have steps but I have been doing them one at a time.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am so happy that this is not uncommon. I have an appointment with OS today, he is usually in a hurry but will try to pin him down for some info. Also thanks for the tips. I am going to try some today! Will let you know what OS says :-)
 
Hi Vicki,
There was someone here who could not do a straight leg raise at 5 weeks and then one day at PT her leg started working and she could do it, right out of the blue. I had something similar at 5 weeks with my first knee, one day I could not bend it and next day I could. Go figure.
Hope your doctor appt goes well today and you get to actually talk to him. My doctor will talk but I have to have my questions ready. The moment there's a lull he's out the door.
 
Went to OS today. Turns out I have blown tendon. Doing surgery next Weds. Anyone have any info, or experience? I just can't believe it.
Will this take me back to 0?
 
I had TKR on June 5. Been having problems with quad but turns out it is a Blown Tendon. Anyone with experience, or advice.
Surgery scheduled July 18, 2012. I am not looking forward to this.
 
Thanks Nyland! Feels like a punch in the gut. Not only do I have to have surgery to repair, will have to have surgery to remove wire. 2 Surgeries :-(
And something about leg immobilizer. Only gets worse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom