Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

Each day I have more pain, I have started using one crutch. I have an appiontment with my GP tomorrow for clearance. Is there some kind of pain med I can ask for that would not interfere with surgery on Tuesday? I have so many things I want to do but I am just having trouble walking.
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

OS gave me Hydrocod/APAP 7.5/500 to help with pain before surgery. Took one last night didn't notice much. Took one this morning was sick for 3 hours. I did not eat before taking it this morning. I am not sure that I want to try taking any more. I might just stick with tylenol.
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

that is a pretty strong dose of Hydrocodone--I never took more than 5 mg of Percoset after my surgery. Why not try cutting the pills in half?
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

OS gave me Hydrocod/APAP 7.5/500 to help with pain before surgery. Took one last night didn't notice much. Took one this morning was sick for 3 hours. I did not eat before taking it this morning. I am not sure that I want to try taking any more. I might just stick with tylenol.

They gave me a script for Tylenol with Codeine (which I haven't used) yesterday post biopsy surgery, and said it would likely make me sick if I took it on an empty stomach. They said to at least take it with some crackers or something. Maybe this is the issue. But I don't blame you for being gun shy. I spent 6 hours being nauseous yesterday.
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

After my tka, I bought little tubs of peanut butter and would put a plate with graham crackers and peanut butter on it. During the night when I too my pains meds, I would eat a cracker with peanut butter.
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

Janet, I was so happy to hear your good news. We did not receive such good news for my mom. She was T2 breast cancer. She is schedlued for next Thursday. My knee surgery is Tuesday. While at the doctor I said I would cancel. Her surgeon said he feels her surgery will go well, hoping for 3 or 4 lymph nodes although we won't know until surgery. Said she will need radiation 5 days week for 5 weeks. Depending on lymph nodes may need chemo.
Now I have to decide what I am going to do. Doc says she should be out of hospital same day or next. Said she shouldn't have much trouble but as radiation continues will have more issues. She lives alone but has severe vision problems and can't drive. She depends on me for many things. I promised her I was going to continue with my surgery but thinking I may need to wait. I can still drive. Big decison to make.
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

Vicki, I'm so sorry! I understand your concern and wanting to be there for her. Can someone help her this week with surgery? Could she possibly qualify for a medical assistant and transportation under medicare for the trips to radiation? Could you go with her by taxi? I think the radiation doesn't happen right away. She will always need you. She will have more good months that you can be with her if you don't delay the surgery. If you can reschedule easily without other timing issues in your life, without putting it off too long... You just have to weigh the pros and cons. It's especially hard to think about rescheduling this close to your surgery date, I DO know! Good luck with this difficult decision!
 
Re: Vicki's Venture-A new knee 6/5/12

Hi Vicki,

Sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. This is such a difficult dilemma for you! If you do decide to go through with your TKR as scheduled, you'd probably have to arrange for someone to help care for your mom, as well as drive her around, otherwise how would she get to her radiation treatments?

And I don't want to sound negative, but recovery after your TKR no matter when you do it involves a very long period of recuperation and being out of commission. Since your TKR is for the right leg it may be a while before you can drive again.

Maybe postponing your surgery for a week or two might buy you some time to figure out a solution...
 
My mom insists that I keep the date for my TKR on Tuesday. I think we have a plan. Her sister is going to stay with her for a short while. I have some friends that have volunteered to drive. I am thinking if I make a schedule and ask each to drive once a week it will not be to much trouble for anyone. (In the back of my mind I am thinking I will be driving in 3 weeks) I have been practicing driving with my left foot.
My thoughts on having the surgery is I will only improve as days go forward. If I don't , I am able to do less each day.
My regret is I will not be able to be with her for her surgery. My surgery is Tuesday hers is Thursday. Doc could have scheduled her for Tuesday but she would not do it because of my surgery. She is being such a mother. This is the first time in my adult life that I have not been the caregiver. I am going to be dependent on someone else. It hurts my heart that I will not be there for her. I told her we would be bed buddies.
I am done feeling sorry for myself, I am happy to have this place to vent.
 
Vicki, Let her be the mom, there aren't that many opportunities for her to do so. It's a gift to her to honor her wishes and you have a good plan. Nothing to feel guilty about! My best to you both! (I don't think the left footed driving is going to do anyone any favors!)
 
Vicki, I am so glad that your mom has made it easier for you. After all as a mom myself, I AM the mom!! I think that things will work out better than you think now. A month from now you will probably be getting around fairly well and you will know that you made the right decision. Kelly
 
Thanks for all the support. I am not sure how soon they will start radiation, guess we have to wait to see about the lymph nodes and chemo. Might all work out that I am back on the road.
 
Vicki, just catching up on you posts! It sounds like you'll be able to have a great plan in place! Don't forget let others help you as well then when that is done you will be able to help others better!:thumb: It's a win,win for everyone around!:friends:
Best to you my friend!
 
I'm so glad that you have a plan that works for both of you! It's great that you can go ahead with your surgery that you need so badly. And wonderful for your mom that her sister can come to help.

I agree with Janet though about the driving. It sounds risky, and also you may not feel up to it. I think usually one drives from 6 weeks if the OS gives the ok, and with an RTKR maybe more...just saying....
 
Took my mom to Sam's club today. I have not been there for awhile. Huge store, concrete floor, huge, heavy packages of items. I took a crutch and lean on cart. We made it through the store ok, checked out ok, when it came time to load the car, I was sick with pain. Had to sit in the car for a few. My mom tried to load the car but was not able to. A woman in the car next to mine got out and helped load our car. What a wonderful person.
It was nice to spend some time with my mom. Had a million things I need to do before surgery Tuesday. Really was not able to do much after the Sam's trip. I have much work to catch up on tomorrow.
The episode today only reinforces the fact that my life is going to change in a good way. Now each day my knee gets worse. After surgery I expect each day should improve.
I think I have achilles tendon pain in my left foot. If anyone has and advice I would appreciate it. I have had it for a long while and did not mention to my OS. It is not crippling but is a real pain.
 
You really do need this surgery now, without a doubt. Best of luck tomorrow! Remember, when it comes right down to it, just take your toothbrush, pillow and insurance card and walk out the door.
 
It's 2:09 AM. I am to report to the hospital at 6:30 AM. Ended up working all day and did not get everything finished. At midnight was very sick, still sick. I think it is a combination of nerves, pain and tired. Hope this is not what I have to look forward to.
The bright side I am not going to sleep in. I'll report back when I am on the other side. In the meantime, everyone have a good day ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom