Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Vicki, I don't. I am sorry that the wound opened up like that---a suture must have broken or something.

Your lack of quad strength is a normal result of this type of surgery. Many people have this--especially if the quad was weak before the surgery. When you go to outpatient pt they will probably use e-stym--electrical stimulation which causes your quad to contract. For now, since you have home pt, just contract the quad, hold for ten seconds and then release. it will come back. K
 
Had quite a bit of drainage until noon and then just stopped. I talked to nurse to see if I should see OS. I thought if it slows or stops I won't need to go back.
Had a good day.I think the drainage was a good thing. Leg does not seem as tight. Anyone ever have similar experience?
 
No, Vicki, I don't. I am sorry that the wound opened up like that---a suture must have broken or something.

Your lack of quad strength is a normal result of this type of surgery. Many people have this--especially if the quad was weak before the surgery. When you go to outpatient pt they will probably use e-stym--electrical stimulation which causes your quad to contract. For now, since you have home pt, just contract the quad, hold for ten seconds and then release. it will come back. K
When I stand I can lift about 8 inches and can slightly kick. My leg seems strong when I stand on it. Although It hurts for me to try to lay on my side.
 
Kelly is right. Quad weakness after surgery is very common...as is wound drainage. But the two are not connected in any way. Please try to keep in mind that you've just had major surgery. Healing is going to take time....patience.....and more time and patience!
 
Today is day 14. The draining has stopped and I feel like a person again. I went to my office for about 5 hours, might have been a little too long. Need to go back tomorrow. Many said week 2 is turning point. I think that might be correct. Iced and elevated when I came home. I am so looking forward to getting my life back.
I had to rent a hospital bed when I came home because we have steps to bedroom and our couch is so low. Would have been ok with knee but with broken wrist made it difficult to get up. Yesterday and today I have been able to lay on couch. Yay!
My mom has appointment to have drain and staples removed tomorrow. She does not need chemo but will have radiation for 5 weeks.
2 weeks ago things seemed so out of control. Guess day at a time it works out.
I am so happy I found this forum. Everyone is so supportive and full of information.
Thanks Everyone!
 
Vic, You will see that you will make great strides in the next week and it will keep getting better!
Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Vicki, I just got caught up with your thread. I had been looking for you on the post-op side...

Sorry you broke your wrist. I'm having a hard time. Haven't even been outside yet. Amazing that you were able to go to work. Are you sure that you are up to it? Seems very soon. Who is with your mom and how is she doing?
 
Thanks bassplayer, had some bad news about my mom. Turns out
was in lymphnodes. Will have to have chemo too. My heart hurts for her. Her sister has been driving her. My mom has done extremely well after surgery. She has come to stay with me some days. She is a rock. Hope I am able to do more for her when treatment starts.
As Far as work I own the business so not going is not an option. Just have to make time count. I do see improvement each day but still wish it was faster. I am not on computer as much because I can't sit for long. I am laying on my side now typing.
 
Wow Vicki sorry to hear that about your mom. Glad though that her sister is able to help.

You need all the rest you can get right now! Do you have a way of elevating and icing your leg at work? And lying down a little?

I will start to work from home part time in about 2 weeks or so. My manager was already asking for an exact date, which I cannot provide right now. Things are progressing slowly for me this time...
 
I don't have a place to lay down at work but I am able to ice and put leg up on chair. Going to have to work 2 or 3 days next week as it is the end of the month, quarter, and my fiscal year.
I am excited to sleep in my own bet tonight. My bed is upstairs and I have only been in my bedroom once. Can't wait, I hope;-)
 
Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Poor thing, it just doesn't let up. It's such a good thing, though, that you went through with your own surgery when you did. Try your best to not overdo. I hope you make it to your bed!
 
Vicki, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Do not despair, I have seen people with 7+ positive lymph nodes be fine many years later, but I know it is hard not to constantly worry. I come from a long line of professional worriers, believe me, that is why we all have high blood pressure on my mother's side of the family.
Please take advantage of the support network that is most likely available at the hospital/treatment center where your Mom will be treated. There are usually support groups for therapy, driving to treatment, cleaning help, etc. Please ask- people really do want to help.
I hope you are feeling better each day.
 
Started this post last week, but due to terrible storms electric and internet have been off. Still don't have electric but have internet. So this post will start with week 3 .Today is week 3 for my new knee. Had a big week. Slept in my bed for the first time. I was so excited. Took a shower, new sheets, pillows ready, all snuggled in, could not get comfortable. Was determined I was going to sleep. Rolled all over the bed, after 3 hours gave up, almost in tears and really hurting. Decided to try it again the next night, finally sleep, about2 hours. Each night since has improved.
Soaked in the tub this week, (not the knee) felt really good. Worked a couple of days, wore me out, but accomplished much. Drove yesterday to work. I was really nervous but work is only about 10 miles away. Did great but trip home I was so very tired and hurting.
Swiched from walker to crutches or crutch. I like the security of walker but crutches allow me to go upstairs and to be more moblie. Been working 3-4 days about 5 hours each day. Really wears me out.
Went to OS to check wrist and knee. Can quit wearing splint on wrist. I asked about my quad. He took an xray. Asked at any point if I heard loud pop. My husband said that there was a loud pop day of surgery when I returned to room and moved my leg. Also I had a fall in the hospital. Doc didn't say what pop. Does anyone know what pop could have been.
 
Wow Vicki, sounds like the doc left you hanging. I would not want to speculate. I am thinking that I would call him and ask what is up. Hang in there and rest as much as you can. It is good to hear that you can quit wearing the splint on your wrist.
 
Yea, really, a Pop, and he didn't embellish? And you didn't ask? Ok, you get a pass, you are on drugs, but ??? I'm sure he would have said more if it were something important, so not to worry, but still, i'd ask why he asked.
 
Hi Vicki,

Sorry about your woes with sleeping and getting comfortable. Can you get your doc to prescribe something to help you sleep? And it sounds very challenging that you have to contend with stairs at work! I feel for you - you are working so hard!

I know what you mean about the drive home. After my first TKR I was very uncomfortable in the car after 20-30 minutes, so I got permission to leave work early in order to avoid the traffic jams.
 
Hello Vicki,
I cannot BELIEVE you are driving already, how amazing are you :yay:, well done. I cannot drive until I have seen my surgeon at my 6 week check up and I cannot wait !!!
Sorry to hear about your quad ala the "pop", I have no idea what he meant by that but seriously you need some answers here.
As for sleeping, yes its a problem for us all. Have you tried putting a pillow between your knees and sleeping on your side ? I find my new knee heavy at night for some reason but sleep quite well on my left side (right new knee) but once I want to shift in my sleep it wakes me up with the pain.
Eventually we will all get there but do see your doc for some help in sleeping at night as we all know that when you sleep you heal.
Best of luck,
Viv xx
 
After the pop he compared two xrays. Said one looked higher, I am guessing knee cap. I am to return on Monday I will ask what he was talking about. He is always in such a hurry. I went to PT Monday and it was quite an ordeal. Said my extension was not great so she leaned and applied pressure for quite awhile. It was very painful. I had not been told by anyone that my extension was an issue. I have heavy legs and I think that might make it appear that extension is off. Continued exercises and ROM is good but my quad is just sad. There has been some improvement but I have a long way to go. The muscle in the top of my leg is strong but can't lift leg straight up more than 8 inches. Used the stimulator thing. I understand the exercises are difficult and I want to work hard. But I think she was excessive. I am not a wimp.
After PT leg hurt for hours. Swollen, had difficult time walking. Finally this morning I have been able to get pain under control. I was supposed to go again to day but did not go. Will go on Friday. Going to ask OS Monday if they should be applying pressure to knee if there is a knee cap problem.
Also a little more to complain about. I live in West Virginia. We had a wild storm last Friday. We have not had electric, cable, internet, sometime no water for 5 days. Temps have been in high 90's each day. Certainly makes life miserable. We have a generator which lets us use a fan and a few lights. Hope electric comes on soon.
 
Oh Vicki, how terrible that your power is still out. You really didn't need this now!

It doesn't sound right that any PT should be causing you so much pain. It's counter-productive, because it can cause swelling which in turn prevents the knee from bending or extending. It is maybe easier said than done, but don't let anyone hurt you! And good that you'll be checking with the OS if the kneecap should even be disturbed right now.

By the way, don't you want to move this thread to the other side? It will give the others a chance to see your thread and provide their support. You can ask one of the moderators to move it.

Hope your power will come back SOON!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom