Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was very ill over the weekend. Ran fever of 103,
nausea, vomiting, was in bed all of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Did I mention I have huge hives mostly on my face, neck and chest. Fever has dropped to low grade or none.
My SED rate went to 86. White Count in normal range. Of course I am thinking oh no, my knee again. Went to OS on Weds to have staples removed,did not think it is my knee infected. He sent me to doc to check gallbladder. No stones but is enlarged, (I don't think it is my gallbladder). Scheduled for more test next week. Went to my GP, she is thinking could be related to antibiotics, or immune issue. I just finished Macrobid for UTI, combination of the 3 antibiotics I am taking.
2 weeks ago had crazy blood pressure, heart doc changed my blood pressure meds. Blood pressure is running 80/60. I cut the dose and still staying low. Called him. He thinks new med could be problem. Told me to go back to old med. If only that could be the issue.
Each morning I wonder what fresh hell waits for me. I just want a frozen drink and to sit on the beach!

Note on my mom, Oncologist told her 90% that she would not lose her hair. Lost her hair. My 4 year old niece comes in and says Granny you have a nasty haircut. Out of the mouths of babes. Guess I shouldn't be complaining so much.
 
Vicki,

What is the most recent med they have started on you? You need answers and fast! One thing that you can do to counteract whatever is happening until SOME dr. Figures the problem out is take Benadryl! SED rate of 86? Hmmmm they need to get busy and figure this out!

Your OS did not think this was related to the knee???!!! What is he basing that on? Vicki, have you contacted the infection specialist? I'm sorry, but did not think is always a pause for me. I want to hear my doctor say, we are going to run more tests until we KNOW it isn't the knee. You have been through so much already, and the fever and SED rate worry me.
 
Vic, ((HUGS)) and sorry for so many questions, but like Sonja, I am concerned, too.
Do you still have the hives? This sounds like an allergic reaction.
Is the ID doc saying its the new drug causing this?
What bp med are you on? HCTZ?
What do they think is causing the sed rate to go up?
I wonder if the fever and hives are actually 2 different reactions to 2 different things.
Is the ID doc monitoring the sed rate or your PCP?
I am so sorry to hear you are at another hurdle!
 
Vicki,

What is the most recent med they have started on you? You need answers and fast! One thing that you can do to counteract whatever is happening until SOME dr. Figures the problem out is take Benadryl! SED rate of 86? Hmmmm they need to get busy and figure this out!

Your OS did not think this was related to the knee???!!! What is he basing that on? Vicki, have you contacted the infection specialist? I'm sorry, but did not think is always a pause for me. I want to hear my doctor say, we are going to run more tests until we KNOW it isn't the knee. You have been through so much already, and the fever and SED rate worry me.
 
Started Macrobid for UTI on 9/14/2012 10 days
Started Azor for blood pressure on 9/11/2012
I have talked to ID office, has my test results. Felt that white blood count is normal is good sign but thinks it is reaction to other med beside antbiotic. Also thinks I might have had bug. Thinks more than one thing is going on. Was concerned about PICC line but said since fever broke did not beleive it was PICC.

What other tests should I ask for? I have seen GP, OS, Surgeon, Nephrologist this week. Talked to ID office. All are puzzled and so am I.
 
Vic, ((HUGS)) and sorry for so many questions, but like Sonja, I am concerned, too.
Do you still have the hives? This sounds like an allergic reaction.
Is the ID doc saying its the new drug causing this?
What bp med are you on? HCTZ?
What do they think is causing the sed rate to go up?
I wonder if the fever and hives are actually 2 different reactions to 2 different things.
Is the ID doc monitoring the sed rate or your PCP?
I am so sorry to hear you are at another hurdle!
 
I still have hives, they came after fever. All feel they are allerigic reaction or immune issue.
BP Med is Azor. Blood pressure was running 220/110. Don't know what caused that. Had UTI??? Also was taking HCTZ. Blood pressure has dropped to 86/60.
ID watches the SED rate. He has been out of town last 10 days so I have not seen him but talked to office. He told me that Hardware can cause SED rate to be higher or PICC line itself. White count is normal so is concerned but not overly. Although I have not talked to him since it is 86. Was 42 when he left.
Thank you so much for your concern! Happy to hear you have been getting such good news! I aspire to reach the goals you have. You give me hope ;-)
 
Started Macrobid for UTI on 9/14/2012 10 days
Started Azor for blood pressure on 9/11/2012
I have talked to ID office, has my test results. Felt that white blood count is normal is good sign but thinks it is reaction to other med beside antbiotic. Also thinks I might have had bug. Thinks more than one thing is going on. Was concerned about PICC line but said since fever broke did not beleive it was PICC.

What other tests should I ask for? I have seen GP, OS, Surgeon, Nephrologist this week. Talked to ID office. All are puzzled and so am I.
Ask for a CRP test to be run. It stands for c reactive protein and the ID doc should be keeping track of this as well! They do both everytime I see the Infection Specialist. It is another tool to help them determine infection.

My numbers are now 7.8 SED and .8 CRP. When infection was high, they were both above the 100 range somewhere!
 
Went to ID partner today, took me off Rifampin. Turns out my liver functions have been increasing over the last 3 weeks. Not a good sign but that is when I started new blood pressure med. I stopped taking it yesterday and went back to old BP med.
Waiting for urine culture to come back tomorrow to see about UTI. Hives are mostly gone but pop up from time to time. Seems like when I take advil. Going to stop taking Advil to see if it is the issue.
 
Yes, my IS PA told me I now have a lower SED rate than her and most of the general population. They did say under 20 is great though, so you know where yours will need to be. What about the C reactive protein test? Did they do one?
 
When are they taking the PICC line out and how long have you had it in? After 6 weeks, if they decide to continue a line, I was told it had to be changed because of the high risk of infection. Every time they do a dressing change makes one day closer to needing to be out! Foreign objects outside of the body sometimes start to cause trouble!
 
I've had the PICC line almost 12 weeks. ID was waiting for cable to be removed from knee before taking out. Had that removed almost 2 weeks. Hopefully will take out this week.
However waiting for results of UTI culture. Showed positive said will have results tomorrow afternoon so another antibiotic for me.
Last 3 weeks I have done nothing but go down hill. I want to thank you Sonja! When I first had infection you got my butt moving to go to hospital. This time too, went to see every doc I have. See if I can get healthy.
 
The same picc line for 12 weeks isn't a good idea! As my IS who recently passed away explained to me, we must change a picc line every six weeks if we have to do that route of treatment on you. Infection risks start after 6 weeks in the line, the dressing area and everywhere. It is too risky to leave it in especially since it leads directly to your heart! He was always upfront about things and a brilliant man! Dr. Maale had me see no one but him and his PA's because they were up on the latest infection protocols. They need to change the picc line out especially since your SED rate is increasing! I bet that will help a lot. What did your OS mean by sometimes it is the metal that is causing the problem? Didn't they take out everything? :shocked:
 
My hope is that the ID removes PICC line this week and leaves it out. His associate thinks he will. When PICC line was put in I was told it can stay in for up to year. That just sounds crazy. Home health has been changing dressing each week .
It was the ID doc that told me hardware in knee could make SED rate go up. He also said PICC line. Guess body fights it as foreign object. Doesn't mean it is infected. What seems strange to me is Sed rate went from 41 to 86 in one week and white count is normal. I know I still have UTI and white count is normal. Doesn't sound right.
Starting on new antibiotic for UTI. First one did not kick it. Might be due to fact that I was sick and 3 days meds did not stay down. Keflex took it before and it did not agree with me but culture shows this is what I need.
 
Well Vicki,

You see, if that were the case about the implant your SED rate should be going down! We all have implants, and right after surgery this time my SED rate was 9.7 and it has dropped. You are on antibotics but your SED rate is climbing! Why!!!! Vicki, I am worried that your docs are not communicating! Picc lines for a YEAR? No. Central lines, possibly, but usually 6-8 months.

You are my friend and I don't want them to get complacent with you! They need to figure out why your SED rate is climbing instead of using feeble excuses.
 
Vicki, I still haven't heard if your ID doctor has done a CRP blood test or not. This will help in narrowing things further down

If you google Web MD they have a great explanation about what it is! Good luck. I care about you friend! :friends:
 
Sonja, I have the copy of my last blood work. Looking for CRP. There are 3 pages but I am not seeing CRP. Would it be under the liver tests?
Part of my problem has been that I haven't seen the ID in two weeks. Talked to his office and saw his associate on Friday. Like the associate better. Have been having blood tests but have not seen him. He has been out of town. I have appointment on Weds. Will have another blood test before then. Hopefully can get some answers and action too.
In my opinion I have had a couple of issues going on. Finished antibiotic last Sunday for UTI. Had recheck on Weds, showed positive and sent for culture. Culture just returned today so 1 week without meds with UTI. Culture showed ecoli. In my weakened state it has a huge effect on my body.
Sonja I do appreciate that you care and the fact that you have traveled this path and have experience. I am passive about going to the doctor. Dealing with infection I can't be that way.
 
No it is usually listed right under the SED rate. Ask on Wednesday for one. It's your right and it will give them more answers.

Unfortunately you can't be passive anymore Vicki! it is one of those things that will be something to keep a watch on. You will be able to tell usually by how you feel, sluggish, headache, fever, sometimes vomiting, moodiness, etc. were always my warning signs. My hubby spotted them before I did because I tried to live in a state of denial when I first started getting MRSA infections! I was so sick of being sick and tired. But you have to attack it, so it will stop attacking you!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom