Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicki,
When it rains it pours for you. I have had my gallbladder removed a few year back (lapriscopically) and it was no big deal. Had the surgery at 9 PM and went home the next morning. 3 little holes that do even need a stitch and was right back on my feet. And yes it was so much better since, I had severe chest pain and thought I was having a heart attack, no more. The only thing I notice now is that my innerds don't like a lot of greasey foods, other than that we are good to go.
 
Poor Vicki - You sure don't need this ! My Mom had her gallbladder out a few years ago and was better real quick and has been okay ever since. Good luck with all this.
 
Vicki, I had mine out over 35 years ago when they made a huge incision, so at least you should be able to just have the small incision kind. But yes, after I had mine out, no more gallbladder attacks. They were horrible. Only thing that happens to me is once in awhile (not often) when you have to poop, you better be close to a bathroom. But like I said, it doesn't happen often.
 
Vic, Why does your GB have to be removed? Stones? Inflamed? (aka Cholecystitis?) AND 2 root canals?!!!!
Make sure you are taking MUCHO abx just before and after these surgeries; make sure your ID doc knows about the surgeries, as he/she will prescribe the correct abx.
Good Luck!
 
Gallbladder inflamed. Have been very sick off and on over last few months. I did not think gallbladder is issue. Doc does not want me to wait. I am not worried about the surgery, just after. Heard pooping can be an issue.
 
Oh Vicki,
You're kinda in a "rough patch" aren't you? Wow - I don't do the root canals anymore - they inevitably crack (seems like they tell me that after the fact that it split during the procedure and it just isn't seen until of course the procedure has been over with) so when it gets to that point - I get an implant and it's good for life. But can be expensive.
I posted before about my experience, so no sense repeating it.. mine was done laproscopically and it wasn't bad at all and not much "down time". I wasn't in the hospital for any more than 2 days I think.
If you're going to try and hold out till November - just watch the fat, animal fat, butter, heavy sauces, etc. Did your dr. say if they saw any stones in any of the ducts? That was the only other problem my dr. thought I had, but the lap procedure did ok by me.
Why does your dr. want to do it so quickly, I mean he must have his reasons? Do you think you need a 2nd opinion?
Umm yea it took about 4-6 months for my non-gallbladder system to get used to it. About 1 month out I had a small order of McD's french fries - I was in the bathroom for a long time and maybe TMI, but it burns terribly - lesson learned that day. I really started to watch myself - now I don't think much bothers me except homemade gravy so I use one of those "fat" divider cups with the spout on it and it seperates the fat or I just by a jar of fat free.
Just thinking of all the possibilites.
Take care
Nancy
 
Vicki, Rita said there should be a gaurantee that we wouldn't have any other ailments for a year after a tkr. I said if I got a free pass, I'd give it to you!
 
The gallbladder is inflamed, Cholecystitis. I have faith in my surgeon, I really don't think he would put me through a surgery I do not need. Scheduled surgery for November 7.
As far as root canal, going to wait as long as possible. I looked into implant but doc didn't want to do that. Maybe I should get second opinion on that. I have had several root canal's and not a fan. In fact many times would like to just pull these teeth. I have as much money in my teeth as I do my car.
Going to see OS tomorrow for check up. Think knee is improving, bending better, walking more without crutch or cane. Still have a long way to go. He has not reccommended PT yet. Had cable removed on Sept 18 for Patella rupture. I am afraid to push as I am afraid I will rupture patella again. Wish I knew how strong it is.
Also have to have preadmission tests for gallbladder and blood work for ID doc. Have appointment with him on Weds. Busy week. Sure hope no new health issues show up this week!
 
Vicki, You certainly are having a rough time of it!:console2: I hope all goes well for you this week and everything gets sorted out and puts you on a road to full recovery. Stay positive!
 
Yes, cholecystitis does need a quick cure, so I see why he is rushing it. So sorry you can't seem to get out of the woods for too long, but you WILL get there!
Are these teeth in the back? Do they really need root canals or can they just be pulled? I did that with a tooth in the back- you can't see it and the teeth did not shift, even after many years, so I was glad I had it pulled instead of RC.
Good luck and keep us posted!
 
He has not recommended PT yet. Had cable removed on Sept 18 for Patella rupture. I am afraid to push as I am afraid I will rupture patella again. Wish I knew how strong it is.
I wish I could tell you, Viccy, but it's a bit of an unknown. I do know it's about similar to the Achilles tendon which is known to recur after tear and repair. But then again, lots don't. I think you are right to be cautious and not take any chances, though.
 
Hi Vicki! I am sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles! Now the gallbladder and root canals! One problem that has cropped up for me with being on antibotics for the last 5 years, is I have had root canals, lost teeth etc. when everything eventually settles down, I am going to have teeth implants, because I have to wear a partial now, and another crown, crumbled last month! I hate antibotics, for what they do to the body, but am thankful that they have kept a recurrence of MRSA away
 
Surgery was scheduled for gallbladder today but was moved to tomorrow, Saturday. Sure hope the A team works on Saturday. The way my luck has been I will get the lawn crew. Will just be happy to get this behind me.

Good news is my knee improves each day. Noticed yesterday that riding my bike there was no rough spot. I even turned the tension up a notch. Went to grocery store without crutch or cane. Little by little normal returns. Life is good today!
 
Hi Vicki!

You can hear excitement in your voice! Great news about the knee, and I will be praying for you on the gallbladder surgery . God always is with you, and he will guide the surgeon's hands no matter what "team" they are representing!:yahoo:
 
Thanks everyone for kind words, good thoughts and prayers! Surgery to remove gallbladder went well. However my heart rate was very low and I was sick, sick sick! Ended up staying in hospital. But feeling much better. There is no place like home, sweet home.
I have noticed my knee is very stiff. My guess is due to spending so much time in bed sick. I was just bragging how well my knee was doing. Hopefully will get the stiffness out of knee soon.
Another side effect I have noticed is my hair is just a mess, guessing either meds or being put to sleep 5 times in four months might have something to do with it. Good news is much new hair starting to grow. Anyone else have issues with hair. If so do you have any tips.
 
Well, I have been losing a lot of hair as they try to get my thyroid regulated! Luckily, I have a lot of hair. I don't know when you say "mess" what do you mean? :scratch:
 
Thanks everyone for kind words, good thoughts and prayers! Surgery to remove gallbladder went well. However my heart rate was very low and I was sick, sick sick! Ended up staying in hospital. But feeling much better. There is no place like home, sweet home.
I have noticed my knee is very stiff. My guess is due to spending so much time in bed sick. I was just bragging how well my knee was doing. Hopefully will get the stiffness out of knee soon.
Another side effect I have noticed is my hair is just a mess, guessing either meds or being put to sleep 5 times in four months might have something to do with it. Good news is much new hair starting to grow. Anyone else have issues with hair. If so do you have any tips.

Oh, my goodness, all those surgeries, anesthesia, medication, and stress to your poor body!! All that sure does make your hair not know what to do. I know it can get thin, or limp, no body, not want to hold a curl and generally look tired. I think it will just take some time to get the effects of all the anesthesia and meds out of your system. Not to mention, you are probably not sleeping well..not getting your rest from all this. Bless your heart sweetheart, you need a break.
Try to sleep as much as you can,, take it easy, try and eat well and if you can, take some vitamins
Your poor body has sure been through so much!!!
I'm sending you good thoughts and hope you start to feel better!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom