Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have Crohns Disease, I am familiar with the yuck guts and diarrhea antibiotics can cause. You should also be taking either the drinks mentioned above or taking Lactobacillus by mouth at least 2 hours after your last antibiotic of the day. Antibiotics kill the bad AND good bacteria, and the probiotics help to replace the good bacteria so you don't get a bacterial imbalance or any kind of Cdiff infection. I use a probiotic called Primadolphilus Fortify made by Natures Way. You can get them in the refrigerated section of your local Whole Foods or local healthfood store. And you only need to take one a day. Good luck!
 
I have been drinking the Ensure for muscle rebuilding lately. I hope it will at least keep the muscles at the same level.
 
Since I have Crohns Disease, I am familiar with the yuck guts and diarrhea antibiotics can cause. You should also be taking either the drinks mentioned above or taking Lactobacillus by mouth at least 2 hours after your last antibiotic of the day. Antibiotics kill the bad AND good bacteria, and the probiotics help to replace the good bacteria so you don't get a bacterial imbalance or any kind of Cdiff infection. I use a probiotic called Primadolphilus Fortify made by Natures Way. You can get them in the refrigerated section of your local Whole Foods or local healthfood store. And you only need to take one a day. Good luck!
Sorry to hear about the Crohns Disease, my brother has it, thought I had it too but do not. Really gives him a hard time. I am going to get something with probiotics. I am on this drip for 6 to 8 weeks. I know that can't be a good thing. Thanks for sharing info.
 
Vicky. I hope you are doing better. I just read through your entire post. You have really been through the mill. And here I just complaining about ROM. What are you doing about pt. will your knee freeze up if you cannot do exercises. I hope you are on your way to happier times.
 
Vicki, how are you doing my friend? I'm worried that we haven't heard from you today! :console2:
 
Vicky. I hope you are doing better. I just read through your entire post. You have really been through the mill. And here I just complaining about ROM. What are you doing about pt. will your knee freeze up if you cannot do exercises. I hope you are on your way to happier times.
I am in a brace to keep my knee straight. The patella repair. I can't imagine what my knee is going to be like. After TKR my ROM was 110 second week. I am sure that is long gone.
 
Vicki, how are you doing my friend? I'm worried that we haven't heard from you today! :console2:
Today was a good day. Something is making me very tired. Not sure if it is antibiotics or just tired. I did get some of yogurt with probotics. Hope it helps. Also looks like going to have some bowel issues with antibotics. Although if I am on this PICC line for 6 weeks, one week is finished. Yay!
How are you feeling today. Did they give you something new for stomach? Looks like we share knee cap issues too. Mine is still wired in place, will see how that turns out.
Hope you have a nice weekend :-)
 
I am going to get some more yogurt. The antibotics that I am on aren't helping the stomach issues but they are keeping any sign of infection away! So, it's a trade off, sickness vs staying MRSA free. :)
 
I have appointment with OS in morning. Will be 2 weeks Tuesday since revision. Guessing he will take stitches out tomorrow. Hope he sprays some numbing stuff on them. Some of them are in pretty far. Have had staples twice this is first time for stitches.
Been sick most of the day from antibiotics. Sure hope that passes but my guess is that as I continue to take them I will get worse. Hope not. I have been lucky, not much pain and I can move around pretty well with crutches. Will be happy to lose the brace. Think he will have me stop using it tomorrow, at least hope so.
 
Hi Vicki!

The antibotics really do a number on the system don't they! I am on oral doxycycline at a heavy dose and in Sept. they are going to cut it in half but it will still be hard on my body. These drugs have a purpose, but they also have the side effects! :yikes:

I hope you get a great report from your OS tomorrow! :angel: I will continue to pray for you, my friend! :friends:
 
Sonya, that anti you are on is a doozy. Please be sure to get some kind of probiotics for you too. With my Crohns all antibiotics tear me up. Only a couple I handle okay. Hugs!
 
Oh Nanners I know it! I was on it al long tine before surgery and my body adjusted. Now, because of the time off, it doesn't want it anymore! :groan:
 
Went to OS today. Removed stiches, don't have to wear leg brace, can start bending knee and best of all can take shower. (Although have PICC line will have to figure that out) Still have one area draining so have to keep that part covered.
Did not get sick this morning and didn't have any bowel issues. I even took extra clothes. Doc was very happy with leg.
Now if I can get a good report Weds from blood doc. Going to ask for some meds to help with sickness and bowels. Does anyone know if you can take those drugs with antibiotics?
 
Great report Vicki, I know those PICC lines are a pain in the butt. It does sound like you are doing very well keep up the good work.
 
Hi, Vic, glad you are doing better.
I bought a picc line cover for the shower at a medical supply place. It was $37. It has a bulb to suck the air out, but I don't use it that way. I have waterproof tape and wrap that around the ends when I shower. I got too tired of the saran wrap/press and seal thing. I bought a size larger than they measured me for because I wanted it to slip on quickly and it is snug at my upper arm but loose at the wrist.
I seem to have adjusted to the abx. Had bowel issues at first for 2 days but everything is stabilized. I do eat 2 yogurts a day, more for extra protein, but the probiotics don't hurt.
I hope it all goes well for you.
Still scared about this whole thing!
 
Having the brace off was not as great as I thought it would be. Could not get comfortable. OS still has wire in patella to keep slightly bent while brace to keep straight. No way that works.
I think another side effect of antibiotics is that my sinus has cleared. Can't believe how much smells bother me. Never noticed that before. Hubby made pan of fried potatoes with onions and peppers from garden, I couldn't stand smell, had to take them outside. Normally I love them. Hope this passes, not being able to smell things is not all bad. Especially when you have 4 dogs.
 
Hi, Vic, glad you are doing better.
I bought a picc line cover for the shower at a medical supply place. It was $37. It has a bulb to suck the air out, but I don't use it that way. I have waterproof tape and wrap that around the ends when I shower. I got too tired of the saran wrap/press and seal thing. I bought a size larger than they measured me for because I wanted it to slip on quickly and it is snug at my upper arm but loose at the wrist.
I seem to have adjusted to the abx. Had bowel issues at first for 2 days but everything is stabilized. I do eat 2 yogurts a day, more for extra protein, but the probiotics don't hurt.
I hope it all goes well for you.
Still scared about this whole thing!
I know what you mean about scared. Makes me sick. Hubby went to med store will see what he brings home for PICC line. I still have 5 weeks of PICC line. It wouldn't be so bad if didn't make me so sick.
Did you ever have culture come back positive? Mine did not in beginning but after 1 week did. Staph. The med that come back for me to use was Rocephin. I had bad reaction so doc is using Daptomycin instead.
I guess all we can do is go forward and hope for best. I never dreamed this would happen. I go to OS office and it is full of people walking around on shiney new knees. Guess we are just the unlucky ones. Hopefully improving each day.
 
Vicki, it's good to see that you still have a sense of humor in spite of everything you've been going through. You are saying that you have smelly dogs, aren't you?:heehee: You're in my prayers and I'm sending healing vibes your way. Take care, keep you chin up, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom