Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Vicki! :thud:

Vancomycin is a high powered antibotic! I am also allergic to it so it is not on the list of ones they can use! Dr. Maale used Daptomycin on me for 6 weeks and I did great with it. He said it isn't as hard on the body.

The OS that replaced everything was your original OS? He must know a lot about revisions Togo through with a one stage revision with an active infection. :) Usually if the doctor isn't well versed in revisions, he will do a two stage procedure, or sometime will do a two stage procedure to make sure all infection is out.

Do you know if he put antibotic beads in the cement that will "leach" out and give you extra protection?

Vicki, we are here for you and any questions you might have! Please know that I am praying that this will be the end of your problems! I am so glad they are bringing an infectios disease doctor on board. They will know what will kill the infection!

:friends:
My OS worked with 3 of his partners to put me back together. They did use the antibotic mortor. Took everything out, put all new in. I went to his office on Monday, sick, changed my antibotics said if I didn't feel better to call. I called first thing Tuesday OS had me in operating room in less than 2 hours. I have faith in all of them, I know my OS would not let me down. However he also said he has very low cases of infection. Although we still have to deal with Patella rupture and cable going around it.
I am using an immobilizer, doc said maybe 3 weeks. It is a pain, but also gives me confidence that I won't blow my patella tendon again
 
Sounds like a difficult time but you are in good hands and are handling it well.
So very sorry you are going through this!:console2:
 
Sending you anti-germ vibes. ;)
 
My OS worked with 3 of his partners to put me back together. They did use the antibotic mortor. Took everything out, put all new in. I went to his office on Monday, sick, changed my antibotics said if I didn't feel better to call. I called first thing Tuesday OS had me in operating room in less than 2 hours. I have faith in all of them, I know my OS would not let me down. However he also said he has very low cases of infection. Although we still have to deal with Patella rupture and cable going around it.
I am using an immobilizer, doc said maybe 3 weeks. It is a pain, but also gives me confidence that I won't blow my patella tendon again
Vicki,

Please don't think I am saying you should not have faith in your doctor! I am glad that he pulled three others in to help, because 4 sets of eyes are better than two!

Will they have to go back in to take care of the ruptured patella tendon, or did they make allowances where they can tighten it without surgery? I am so proud of you for listening to your body! We are the "experts" when it comes to knowing when something is wrong. The body speaks to us, but I frequently find myself ignoring it, and that is something I have to change!
 
Vicki,

Please don't think I am saying you should not have faith in your doctor! I am glad that he pulled three others in to help, because 4 sets of eyes are better than two!

Will they have to go back in to take care of the ruptured patella tendon, or did they make allowances where they can tighten it without surgery? I am so proud of you for listening to your body! We are the "experts" when it comes to knowing when something is wrong. The body speaks to us, but I frequently find myself ignoring it, and that is something I have to change!

The patella is in place. The hope is that it will heal, infection go the will take cable out. Just have to wait and see.
 
Bad News-had a culture come back positive. Still testing to see which med he will want to continue to use. I am still in hospital receiving antibotics. Looks like I will be here until Monday.
Doc did prescribe sleeping pill. Slept like a baby last night. That helped.
Just sitting here thinking what did I get myself into. Did some research on Staph infections. Not a good thing to have.
 
No Vicki, Staph infections are not a good thing to have, but you can overcome them! :)

It has been an ordeal but I have never given up! The only difference between staph and MRSA like I had, is that MRSA is resistant to so many antibiotics.

God has been here the whole time. He never promised that life would be easy, but he promised never to forsake us! :angel:

I take a lot of comfort in knowing that. I will continue praying for you as I know your anxiety levels must be rising. The 4 day wait to hear everything was the longest, and when I got the bad news I was by myself at the time. I cried and my doctor had tears rolling down his cheeks also.
 
No Vicki, Staph infections are not a good thing to have, but you can overcome them! :)

It has been an ordeal but I have never given up! The only difference between staph and MRSA like I had, is that MRSA is resistant to so many antibiotics.

God has been here the whole time. He never promised that life would be easy, but he promised never to forsake us! :angel:

I take a lot of comfort in knowing that. I will continue praying for you as I know your anxiety levels must be rising. The 4 day wait to hear everything was the longest, and when I got the bad news I was by myself at the time. I cried and my doctor had tears rolling down his cheeks also.
Thank you for kind thougths and information. Getting ready to start new antibiotic. Forget the name. Doc said not as strong as other one.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
 
Thank you for kind thougths and information. Getting ready to start new antibiotic. Forget the name. Doc said not as strong as other one.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
Vicki,

I hope you feel better this weekend! Are they waiting on any more results, or is everything already in?
:)
 
Poor Vicky. Hope you get lots of sleep and somehow put your mind to rest. We are all thinking good thoughts and sending them your way. It's time for things to get better for you already!
 
Finally culure results back. Looks like Rocephin is my magic drug. Started drip, within 15 mins. had hives the size of popcorn. Stopped drip. Round 2, new drug Daptomycin. been 3 hours so far so good. Hope this works. Hope tomorrow is better.
 
OMG !!! Enough already ! Hope you get to sleep and wake up feeling MUCH better !
 
Daptomycin! That is what they had me on for 6 weeks and it was fine! I am glad that they are staying on top of things!

God bless you Vicki!

You have been through so much so fast!:friends:
 
Daptomycin! That is what they had me on for 6 weeks and it was fine! I am glad that they are staying on top of things!

God bless you Vicki!

You have been through so much so fast!:friends:
So it cleared your infection? What about reoccurance of infection? Doc said Daptomycin is onece a day, and can push in 10 mins. Also will need bloodwork once a week. Did you have any issues with Dapromycin?
Looks like I am traveling a road similar to yours. Thanks for all the input.
 
10 minutes? How long is it taking them in the hospital. At the hospital it was 1 hour, at home it was a ball that was pressurized and it went in 30 minutes! I had blood work once a week, and it always showed no signs of infection.

Maybe they are giving you a lower dose. Vicki, mine was done because I had 8 previous MRSA infections. Dr. Maale was not taking any chances, and the infection specialist has me on doxicycline orally, and in three months may lighten the dose, but because of past history, I will never be off antibiotics. You on the other hand will most likely be free soon! :happydance:

They did not find evidence of any infection this time! Not even on the metal! We had prayed over my knee to free of infection, and God took care of it!

The issues I had were tummy related. I felt nauseous at first but it went away, then it turned into the other end breaking loose. Loose stools. I think that's a common side effect, so I remembered to eat crackers w peanut butter or cheese before I took the dose and for some reason, that helped a lot! :)
 
loose stools is a side effect. When they tested to see if infection was gone how do they know if it is gone from the metal?
Hope you get some answers and get relief from stomach issues. Thinking of you!
 
Had second dose of Daptomycin tonight. Had one hive after. Hope that isn't an issue. Takes half an hour for IV.
My OS returns tomorrow, hope he releases me. Wound has slowed drainage. Hopefully will be able to continue to use Daptomycin.
Also found out another result from fall after TRKR. Ends up I tore Patella tendon which was repaired but I had infection after surgery, had to have total revision. Broke wrist and just found out I have thumb EPL tendon rupture from broken wrist. A bad decision (had nerve block, thought I could walk on knee day after surgery, fell) has cost me dearly. Wish I could take that moment back.
Hoping I get to go home tomorrow!
 
When Dr. Maale took out my replacement, he tested it, and it was squeaky clean! He has a new procedure that Jo has in the library on biofilms. I will ask Jo name of article. Josephine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom