Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicky, I have had trouble with smells too! I thought after I got off picc line it would improve! Not! I can be seen running or hobbling for the exits if someone is frying stuff and I smell it! Hubby wanted to fryhimself some shrimp the other night but he asked. I went into the bedroom, turned on both air purifiers, and after he was finished he took the grease and all remnants to proper receptacles outside. He can be so considerate sometimes, although the site of me hobbling for the bathroom all night isn't a great one either! :rotfl:
 
Vicky, I have had trouble with smells too! I thought after I got off picc line it would improve! Not! I can be seen running or hobbling for the exits if someone is frying stuff and I smell it! Hubby wanted to fryhimself some shrimp the other night but he asked. I went into the bedroom, turned on both air purifiers, and after he was finished he took the grease and all remnants to proper receptacles outside. He can be so considerate sometimes, although the site of me hobbling for the bathroom all night isn't a great one either! :rotfl:
I hope it passes for me. Just about everything makes me sick. My poor hubby has been grilling and eating outside.
 
Vicki, it's good to see that you still have a sense of humor in spite of everything you've been going through. You are saying that you have smelly dogs, aren't you?:heehee: You're in my prayers and I'm sending healing vibes your way. Take care, keep you chin up, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
Yes,yes,yes! Especially when it rains. But I love them, stink and all.
 
Vicki, it is great to see that you are keeping your sense of humor! That will sustain you through a lot of the days when you just feel like "you can't do this anymore!":happydance: I find humor to be a great release along with prayer. God has been my rock through all of this and I can honestly say without Him I don't know what I would do!:angel:
 
Think I might be adjusting to meds. Noticed last night I was hungry. Haven't felt that for weeks. I had gained quite a bit of weight before surgery due to knee issues. Since surgery in July 18 I have lost 50 pounds. The hard way. Been very sick. I had the weight to lose, what happens to people within normal weight. I would guess they would die. Felt like I was going to for a while.
Yesterday was good day, so far today is too.
Knee still messed up. Still have cable in from patella surgery at 25% bend. Was in brace for 2 weeks to keep straight. Don't know what ROM is but not great. I am able to weight bare and using crutches. The good news can lift up like to kick, (couldn't do before patella surgery) go to OS on Monday, we haven't even talked PT yet. Been so sick with infection. Think my knee is worse than when I started. Although don't have the pain I had. Long road for me.
 
Lordy, that's a scary kind of weight loss! Not that I wouldn't mind to be down in weight, but not that way.
 
Have not been sick the last couple of days. Starting to feel human again. Don't even know where to start on this road to recovery. As far as the knee no pt . It is bending more, not sure of ROM but it isn't good. Seems like I can't get comfortable.
As far as normal life, going to take shower tomorrow and wash hair. First time.
Really can't sleep, 2 to 4 hours top. No nap. Anyone have this problem? Some of the issue is I can't really get comfortable. My blood doc is very stingy about drugs. Not sure what I can take with Daptomycin and Rifampin. Any advice or experience would be great.
 
Vicki,

50 pounds! Oh my goodness! OK I have been sick, but somehow I must be able to store weight like a camel stores water! I don't know why your doc is stingy with drugs! Have you called your GP to see if they could help? :groan:
 
Oh Vicki, this sounds horrible. But I am glad you are starting to feel hungry. You said you had it to lose, like I did when I had my hip replacement. Boy, I let that non hungry feeling go to town for me. Lost 70 pounds in less then 7 months. Now I am at goal, or about there and had to have my knee replaced. Same thing, not hungry. So really trying to push it a little and let myself eat. Good luck to you.
 
Went to blood doc today. SED rate dropped from 86 to 62 in week. I have been on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks. Doc said that was good, but is it really? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge. The fact that is dropping has to be good. But 3 weeks seems like a long time.
 
Oh Vicki, this sounds horrible. But I am glad you are starting to feel hungry. You said you had it to lose, like I did when I had my hip replacement. Boy, I let that non hungry feeling go to town for me. Lost 70 pounds in less then 7 months. Now I am at goal, or about there and had to have my knee replaced. Same thing, not hungry. So really trying to push it a little and let myself eat. Good luck to you.
Good for you for the weight loss, but wow, what a way to do it. Try to make good choices in what you eat. Wishing you the best on your upcoming knee surgery :-)
 
Vicki,

50 pounds! Oh my goodness! OK I have been sick, but somehow I must be able to store weight like a camel stores water! I don't know why your doc is stingy with drugs! Have you called your GP to see if they could help? :groan:
The blood doc is stingy. My OS is great. I don't want to take anything to interfere with antibiotics so trusting blood doc's advice.
 
The blood doc is stingy. My OS is great. I don't want to take anything to interfere with antibiotics so trusting blood doc's advice.
Vicki, I certainly understand not wanting to interfere with antibotics! My OS has been very generous in prescribing pain meds or Celebrex, whatever I need, though, because he and the Infection specialist work together, and he knows what will interfere and what won't. Doesn't your blood doc work together with your OS in your treatment plan? :what:
 
Went to blood doc today. SED rate dropped from 86 to 62 in week. I have been on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks. Doc said that was good, but is it really? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge. The fact that is dropping has to be good. But 3 weeks seems like a long time.

Yes it is great that your SED rate is dropping! They would like to see it most likely in the below 20's range. I don't know though, what number did he want? Infection Specialists have different markers that they go by.
 
Good for you for the weight loss, but wow, what a way to do it. Try to make good choices in what you eat. Wishing you the best on your upcoming knee surgery :)
Been trying to do that. So far my body won't let me eat bad. Had a piece of pizza, regretted it. Miss fresh friut. Hopefully soon will be able to eat it.
 
Yes it is great that your SED rate is dropping! They would like to see it most likely in the below 20's range. I don't know though, what number did he want? Infection Specialists have different markers that they go by.
I think he did say 20's. How fast did yours drop? Seems like that is slow. Taking drugs IV should be quick. Guess I am being impatient ;-) Was hoping to be the exception, get this PICC line out.
 
Vicki, I certainly understand not wanting to interfere with antibotics! My OS has been very generous in prescribing pain meds or Celebrex, whatever I need, though, because he and the Infection specialist work together, and he knows what will interfere and what won't. Doesn't your blood doc work together with your OS in your treatment plan? :what:
Not so much. When I was in hospital more, but now that I am home not so much. I visit each weekly and blood doc sends OS reports. I am the one that relays info back and forth. My blood doc is focused on blood. When the OS decided to do revison I had not even seen the blood doc yet. So I am hoping that works out. Complete revison before antibiotics. Can't even stand the thought of another surgery. Seems like my OS deals with infection so little might not know the best way to handle it. Guess time will tell.
 
Wow Vicki you are going through one heck of a time! :console2: I hope this clears up for you soon! That is certainly a terrible way to lose that much weight no wonder you feel sick!
Get well soon my BoneSmartie buddy! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom