Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats my biggest fear right now for my LTKR. Whenever I have surgery I always lose weight. Right now I am at a safe weight. After last hospitalization I lost 17 lbs in no time. But the weight loss is common for 'me' becuz of my Crohns Disease.

I sure hope you getting feeling better and stop losing so much weight. I know it makes me really weak and run down when I lose weight that quickly. Big hugs!
 
I think he did say 20's. How fast did yours drop? Seems like that is slow. Taking drugs IV should be quick. Guess I am being impatient ;-) Was hoping to be the exception, get this PICC line out.

Vicki, hate to share the news, but I didn't have sed's that went down fast after the second knee surgery. You are doing great, and yours are going down faster than mine did. Staph and MRSA are tough and hardy bugs! I am just so excited to see that your's is going down as fast as it is. My counts started out in the 1600 range I think, so to compare you to me would be to compare apples to oranges! They are on top of yours, just give it time! This 3rd knee surgery with iv antibotics was a precaution from the 8 previous rounds! So my counts were normal throughout treatment this time! :happydance: I was willing to do the 6 weeks of antibotics, and then oral forever most likely, because of my history! I don't want any chance of a rogue MRSA bug found hibernating in my body and then come springing back to life! :shocked:
 
Vicki, hate to share the news, but I didn't have sed's that went down fast after the second knee surgery. You are doing great, and yours are going down faster than mine did. Staph and MRSA are tough and hardy bugs! I am just so excited to see that your's is going down as fast as it is. My counts started out in the 1600 range I think, so to compare you to me would be to compare apples to oranges! They are on top of yours, just give it time! This 3rd knee surgery with iv antibotics was a precaution from the 8 previous rounds! So my counts were normal throughout treatment this time! :happydance: I was willing to do the 6 weeks of antibotics, and then oral forever most likely, because of my history! I don't want any chance of a rogue MRSA bug found hibernating in my body and then come springing back to life! :shocked:
Wow, no wonder you have yuck guts. Antibiotics forever :-( But we have to do what we have to do. I did not know to ask my original number so I don't know where I started. Just know I am ready for it to be over.
Sonja, you could write a book. Or at least start charging fees for info. Thank you so much you have always been so helpful ;-)
 
Wow, no wonder you have yuck guts. Antibiotics forever :-( But we have to do what we have to do. I did not know to ask my original number so I don't know where I started. Just know I am ready for it to be over.
Sonja, you could write a book. Or at least start charging fees for info. Thank you so much you have always been so helpful ;-)
I already am writing a book... the Story of my knees parts 1,2,3... LOL :heehee:
 
One stage revision would appear to have an advantage - at least in some clinics!
One-stage revision yields higher survival rate for infected total joint procedures




  • August 17, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO — Although two-stage revisions are more popular, one-stage revisions are more successful, cost effective and less debilitating for patients undergoing revision total hip arthroplasty and total knee arthroplasty as a result Gerhard E. Maale, MD, and colleagues analyzed the first 200 cases of one-stage revision arthroplasty with minimum 2-year follow-up. In addition, they retrospectively examined prior surgical numbers from prior studies, including complications and relapse, stage, pathology, and intramural and extramural reports, according to the abstract.
Ninety percent of one-stage revisions and 85% of two-stage revisions were successful, Maale stated in his presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, here. Even after draining sinuses with visualized prosthesis, the retrieval rate was less than 25% and 40% of patients were culture positive at referring institutions, according to the abstract.
“The key to success is what we call gradual debridement,” Maale said. “It is the removal of all infected tissue, both hard and soft, removal of prosthetic devices – anything that can get or form biofilm. The key is to get rid of the biofilm-immediated infection.”
Reference:
Maale GE, Eager J. Evolution of the two-stage revision to the one-stage revision with immediate exchange for infected total joints. Paper #121. Presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting. Feb. 7-11. San Francisco.
 
One stage revision would appear to have an advantage - at least in some clinics!
One-stage revision yields higher survival rate for infected total joint procedures




  • August 17, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO — Although two-stage revisions are more popular, one-stage revisions are more successful, cost effective and less debilitating for patients undergoing revision total hip arthroplasty and total knee arthroplasty as a result Gerhard E. Maale, MD, and colleagues analyzed the first 200 cases of one-stage revision arthroplasty with minimum 2-year follow-up. In addition, they retrospectively examined prior surgical numbers from prior studies, including complications and relapse, stage, pathology, and intramural and extramural reports, according to the abstract.
Ninety percent of one-stage revisions and 85% of two-stage revisions were successful, Maale stated in his presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, here. Even after draining sinuses with visualized prosthesis, the retrieval rate was less than 25% and 40% of patients were culture positive at referring institutions, according to the abstract.
“The key to success is what we call gradual debridement,” Maale said. “It is the removal of all infected tissue, both hard and soft, removal of prosthetic devices – anything that can get or form biofilm. The key is to get rid of the biofilm-immediated infection.”
Reference:
Maale GE, Eager J. Evolution of the two-stage revision to the one-stage revision with immediate exchange for infected total joints. Paper #121. Presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting. Feb. 7-11. San Francisco.
Dr. Maale's name pops up a lot these days! I am so glad that he was my revision surgeon. When he told me that he only does one stage revisions, I was surprised. He then went on to discuss the procedure in detail. He also said that less trauma to the body with a one stage -vs- a two stage makes a big difference. He discussed the immune system, and said even though you are on antibotics with a two stage revision, your body has to fight harder than it would if it could be done as a one stage! Made perfect sense to me!
 
I wonder if Dr. Maale does his cases under general anaesthetic or spinal. My visit to a local trauma ward last Wednesday showed that those older patients given a general anaesthetic in the treatment of their fractured femurs often had an increase in their dementia.
 
He does general on most patients, but if asked for a spinal because of concerns, he would probably oblige. His surguries that he usually deals with take a long time in the operating room and I for one was glad that I had a general. My age wasn't a factor though, and neither was my health anymore! When we first met, he talked about my weight, but said the operation was certainly necessary. The last time I had an office visit before surgery, he was smiling from ear to ear. He said I had made it a lot easier on myself by working so hard, and that I would be one of his most successful cases! I thought about asking him if that included working on cadavers, but decided to let it ride! :wink: :rotfl:
 
Sonja said, "I thought about asking him if that included working on cadavers, but decided to let it ride!" :wink: :rotfl:

RestAssured, Sonja, for a godly person :angel: , you sure do have a wicked sense of humor! [Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
One stage revision would appear to have an advantage - at least in some clinics!
One-stage revision yields higher survival rate for infected total joint procedures




  • August 17, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO — Although two-stage revisions are more popular, one-stage revisions are more successful, cost effective and less debilitating for patients undergoing revision total hip arthroplasty and total knee arthroplasty as a result Gerhard E. Maale, MD, and colleagues analyzed the first 200 cases of one-stage revision arthroplasty with minimum 2-year follow-up. In addition, they retrospectively examined prior surgical numbers from prior studies, including complications and relapse, stage, pathology, and intramural and extramural reports, according to the abstract.

Ninety percent of one-stage revisions and 85% of two-stage revisions were successful, Maale stated in his presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting, here. Even after draining sinuses with visualized prosthesis, the retrieval rate was less than 25% and 40% of patients were culture positive at referring institutions, according to the abstract.
“The key to success is what we call gradual debridement,” Maale said. “It is the removal of all infected tissue, both hard and soft, removal of prosthetic devices – anything that can get or form biofilm. The key is to get rid of the biofilm-immediated infection.”
Reference:
Maale GE, Eager J. Evolution of the two-stage revision to the one-stage revision with immediate exchange for infected total joints. Paper #121. Presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012 Annual Meeting. Feb. 7-11. San Francisco.
Thank you so much for posting this. I have faith in my OS but sure is nice to see this in print. I just hope I am part of the 90%
 
Dr. Maale's name pops up a lot these days! I am so glad that he was my revision surgeon. When he told me that he only does one stage revisions, I was surprised. He then went on to discuss the procedure in detail. He also said that less trauma to the body with a one stage -vs- a two stage makes a big difference. He discussed the immune system, and said even though you are on antibotics with a two stage revision, your body has to fight harder than it would if it could be done as a one stage! Made perfect sense to me!
It's good news to me. I trust my OS but have worried that the one stage revision was a mistake because I just didn't hear that many being performed. I guess I will have to see but is reassuring for now to hear this news.
 
We here on BoneSmart are insisting that you are one of the 90%, and you know what power we wield, especially Sonja. So just sit back and relax and continue to heal and get better and better. You've got lots of prayers coming your way for all the best.
 
I wonder if Dr. Maale does his cases under general anaesthetic or spinal. My visit to a local trauma ward last Wednesday showed that those older patients given a general anaesthetic in the treatment of their fractured femurs often had an increase in their dementia.
Hate to hear about the dementia part but I have had 3 surgeries. 2 with spinal and the last with General. I will not hesitate to have general again. No sickness or itching.
I already am writing a book... the Story of my knees parts 1,2,3... LOL :heehee:[/
 
We here on BoneSmart are insisting that you are one of the 90%, and you know what power we wield, especially Sonja. So just sit back and relax and continue to heal and get better and better. You've got lots of prayers coming your way for all the best.
Love it! I am doing my best to be part of 90 percent. Bonesmary is a Mighty Force. So very happy the force is on my side!
 
Vicki, you will be one of the 90%! I have faith that everything is going to be fine. Take care my friend, and know that I am continuing to pray for you.

Dear Lord, my friend Vicki has been through so many trials with this knee, but she still needs reassurance that the infection is gone. Lord, please give her peace, knowing that you are right along side her during the good times and especially the bad. You never promised us that this life would be easy, but that you would never leave us nor forsake us in times of trouble. Take her pain and let her have peaceful slumber. In all these things I ask, Jesus. Amen
 
Vicki - Holding good thoughts for you and wishing you into the 90%!
 
Vicki, you will be one of the 90%! I have faith that everything is going to be fine. Take care my friend, and know that I am continuing to pray for you.

Dear Lord, my friend Vicki has been through so many trials with this knee, but she still needs reassurance that the infection is gone. Lord, please give her peace, knowing that you are right along side her during the good times and especially the bad. You never promised us that this life would be easy, but that you would never leave us nor forsake us in times of trouble. Take her pain and let her have peaceful slumber. In all these things I ask, Jesus. Amen
Sonja thank you so much for the prayer. As our body heals sometimes it takes longer for our mind to be at peace. Your thoughts and prayers mean so much to me! Thank you ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom