Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for round #2 tomorrow. Today is 6 week anniversary of my RTKR. Still have much to do as I do not know how incapacitated I will be. Bringing hospital bed tomorrow, hubby going to raise couch and getting toilet seat riser. OS did not want me to use riser for TKR but with patellar tendon rupture could have to keep leg straight for 6 weeks with no weight.. I sure hope not. Trying not to get depressed, but it is hard not to. During office visit I asked OS if I could come home after surgery, he said we would see. After I think about it my surgery is not untill noon if I have spinal there is no way I will come home. Also would be easier on my hubby if I stay. Hospital called this afternoon and said if it is outpatient be sure to bring $50.00 copay for outpatient.
This just seemed crazy to me. I have been back and forth to the hospital for the past 8 weeks. Don't even know how much $$$$ I have spent and now I have to have $50.00 up front. Just crazy. Might be me being a little sensitive.
 
I'm so sorry you have to go through another surgery. Staying overnight at the hospital might be a good idea, let them help you figure out how to get around with your new brace.
I do agree it's so annoying about calling for the $50. Really? There was something on the news here about ER's sending in the bill collectors ahead of the doctors so I guess it's wide spread.
I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to hear from you soon.:friends:
 
Hi Vicky - Just read through from the beginning. You have certain had more than your share of challenges. Let's hope this puts all to rest. Good luck tomorrow.
 
Had the ruptured patella tendon repaired. Doc says all went well, I hope so. Turns out they take a cable and connect tendon to patella, then keep the knee bent so can only bend 75%. I am able to walk on it. The brace is the cables on the inside of the knee. It is a new procedure. Sure hope it works. I still can't lift foot straight up,(as to kick someone).
This time I had spinal, with twlight meds. Was not sick, and did not itch. Was much better to wake up. However did not have nerve block (not sure if it was an option). And had some big pain early on. Was taking two percocets every 4 hours and dallid as well. Had surgery on Weds and was released on Thursday. All I can say is there is no place like home. Due to spinal was not allowed out of bed first day. Had to use bed pan. Seems like I need to go to bathroom much more when I depend on someone else to help me.
Have been home few days, pain is getting better, until yesterday was taking 2 percocets every 4 hours. Was sick to my stomach yesterday so didn't take anything for 12 hours. I am running low grade fever hope that is nothing.
Return to OS Weds. Not sure if he will take staples out. Used same incision as surgery for RTKR on 6/5/12. This one is a little longer. Will have another surgery to remove cable 6 to 8 weeks.
Just anxious to get my life back.
 
Well, this much is done. How unfortunate this happened. You've sure had the obstacles, and I'm sure you are tired of it all. But there was a problem, they finally found it, are fixing it, and you'll get past it, knock on wood! By the way, how is your mom doing?
 
Glad to hear that you can walk on it! Hope this new recovery phase passes quickly. My thoughts are with you...and hope it goes well on Wednesday.
 
Well, this much is done. How unfortunate this happened. You've sure had the obstacles, and I'm sure you are tired of it all. But there was a problem, they finally found it, are fixing it, and you'll get past it, knock on wood! By the way, how is your mom doing?
Janet, thank you so much for asking. My mom is doing well. I have been concerned her docs have been back and forth about chemo. It is almost 7 weeks and they have not started. Doing a DNA test on cancer to determine if she should have chemo. I hope not but if she should need it I wish it would have started by now. She is still having drainage and the plan is to start radiation next week. Just want to get this show on the road.
She has been a rock. Has worried herself sick about me. She is the sick one. I am one lucky woman to have a mom that cares so much. Looking forward to both of us getting our life back. Thanks again Janet for asking.
 
And my trouble continues.....I've been running a fever, feeling sick and drainage from my knee. OS admitted me to the hospital for antiboitics. Came home started having same symptoms, went back to OS today, if leg doesn't stop leaking will have surgery to clean it up.
I simply can't get ahead. Anyone have any advice on infection?
 
Oh, I'm so sorry! Day at a time, look forward to 2013. That's all I have to offer. :(
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
Oh, Vicki, I'm sure this is how you must be feeling. I am so sorry things are not going as they should. At least you and your OS are on top of the situation.
​
​
Please take good care of yourself and keep us posted. I wish I had some sort of answer for you, but all I can do is give you a big hug because I care.
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
​
 
Vicki,

Well I do, did they give you iv antibiotics? Are you on antibiotics now? Is the drainage clear? Does it have an odor? If you start noticing an odor, that isn't good. I would get back to OS if he hasn't followed up with antibiotics. Don't let it get out of control if you feel something is wrong! Please take care! We care about you! :friends:
 
And my trouble continues.....I've been running a fever, feeling sick and drainage from my knee. OS admitted me to the hospital for antiboitics. Came home started having same symptoms, went back to OS today, if leg doesn't stop leaking will have surgery to clean it up.
I simply can't get ahead. Anyone have any advice on infection?
Oops, I missed the fever part! And having the same symptoms! Call OS in morning and tell him you will be at his office or the ER tonight if you really feel bad! Please don't wait!
 
Vicki,

Well I do, did they give you iv antibiotics? Are you on antibiotics now? Is the drainage clear? Does it have an odor? If you start noticing an odor, that isn't good. I would get back to OS if he hasn't followed up with antibiotics. Don't let it get out of control if you feel something is wrong! Please take care! We care about you! :friends:
The drainage is rust colored. No odor. OS took staples out yesterday. I am on Bactrium now. My problem is that my OS is going out of town on Thursday, so if something happens over the weekend I am in trouble. MyOS told me to go to emergency room if I start to feel really bad again. I am scheduled to see him Monday. OS said he would do surgery to clean it out. I really hope that doesn't happen.
 
Are you still running a fever? What is he saying about rust colored discharge? If the fluid is a clear color I don't think much of it unless I am running a fever, have a headache and just don't feel good. Bactrim is a broad spectrum antibotib so that is good, but when you went into the hospital for this did they get you started on iv antibiotics?

Does the knee hurt? If so, does it hurt more when you have weight on it?
Rust color sounds like a mixture of blood and serous fluid.
He is going out of town on Thursday???
Well, you have today and tomorrow to bend his ear if you need to!

Vicki, I don't know if you have read part 1 of the story of my knees but I waited too long because my doctor took a vacation!
What is your body telling you? Do you feel like you just want to crawl in bed and sleep? Is the pain increasing? These are things that you must pay attention to! It's your knee, and his vacation is an afterthought! Please take care of yourself. I care. :friends:

Which would you rather have, a clean out to get rid of the junk, or go through a revision? My choice would always be clean out.

Josephine, Jamie. These two can probably help you more than I can. :)

If you have questions, keep in touch! Infections are nasty people that require immediate attention. I hope your OS is not taking this lightly because of upcoming vacation plans.
 
Are you still running a fever? What is he saying about rust colored discharge? If the fluid is a clear color I don't think much of it unless I am running a fever, have a headache and just don't feel good. Bactrim is a broad spectrum antibotib so that is good, but when you went into the hospital for this did they get you started on iv antibiotics?

Does the knee hurt? If so, does it hurt more when you have weight on it?
Rust color sounds like a mixture of blood and serous fluid.
He is going out of town on Thursday???
Well, you have today and tomorrow to bend his ear if you need to!

Vicki, I don't know if you have read part 1 of the story of my knees but I waited too long because my doctor took a vacation!
What is your body telling you? Do you feel like you just want to crawl in bed and sleep? Is the pain increasing? These are things that you must pay attention to! It's your knee, and his vacation is an afterthought! Please take care of yourself. I care. :friends:

Which would you rather have, a clean out to get rid of the junk, or go through a revision? My choice would always be clean out.

Josephine, Jamie. These two can probably help you more than I can. :)

If you have questions, keep in touch! Infections are nasty people that require immediate attention. I hope your OS is not taking this lightly because of upcoming vacation plans.
Had antibotics by IV 24 hours. Last Thursday, came home and fluid started. Then started getting sick again Saturday. Went ot office yesterday think I might need to go again today. The surgery when they clean it out, what does it involve.
 
Never mind "think I might go"..just go ! Now ! And please let us know how it's going. Thinking good thoughts...
 
Hi Vicki, I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult stuff. And the dilemmas are not easy either. It sounds like you'd better not wait to go back to the doctor. Better to err on the side of caution! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom