Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicki,
Just someone else piping in hear to tell you to get to the DR. asap. Infection is nothing the play around with. The sooner you have it taken care of the less that will have to be done. We are all on your case because we all care about you.
 
I agree--get in there.
 
Vicki! I truly hope I am going to be explaining something that your doctor is already doing!
When they go into an infected knee, they will do an irrigation (washout) and debridement (removal of infected or suspicious tissue.). Usually they will also do a spacer replacement. If you are already in pain, believe me waiting will only make it worse! I speak from experience. My OS was on vacation when I called the dr. Exchange and the OS on call prescribed Clindamycin. In my case that was like eating candy! I called on a Sat morn, and my OS did not see me til Tue afternoon. By then, I could not put any weight on the leg because it hurt so bad! Please don't let Your doctor's vacation dictate waiting! It's not worth it, and it sounds like that's what he is doing. :shocked:
 
Vicki! I truly hope I am going to be explaining something that your doctor is already doing!
When they go into an infected knee, they will do an irrigation (washout) and debridement (removal of infected or suspicious tissue.). Usually they will also do a spacer replacement. If you are already in pain, believe me waiting will only make it worse! I speak from experience. My OS was on vacation when I called the dr. Exchange and the OS on call prescribed Clindamycin. In my case that was like eating candy! I called on a Sat morn, and my OS did not see me til Tue afternoon. By then, I could not put any weight on the leg because it hurt so bad! Ple Pase don't let Your doctor's vacation dictate waiting! It's not worth it, and it sounds like that's what he is doing. :shocked:
I am sitting in my hospital bed receiving antibiotics by IV. Went to OS on Tuesday, did surgery that day. Took everything out, put in new joints, ect.. mine was more complicated with patella injury and cables in knee. My OS had 3 surgeons working on my knee. Grew a culture but that came back negative. Doc is still going to give me antibiotics for 6-8 weeks . Put Picc line in today.
Also had to have two units of blood. OS had me stay in bed all day so knee could clot. Did not use staples this time used stitches. Looks like a railroad track.
Going to walk on today but does not want me to bend for 2 weeks. Can't believe how many problems I have had. Hoping to start moving forward.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
You're in our thoughts and prayers, Vicki. So sorry you're having to go through this, but you will prevail. Please take good care of yourself, keep us posted, we care.
 
Vicki,

I am so relieved that you went to see your OS! Thank you, I am praying for you but I knew things weren't good by your explanation! We will be here for you anytime you need us, and know that I will continue to pray! :angel: :angel:
 
OMG Vic, I am so sorry to hear this!
Welcome to the PICC line club! I am glad I listened to the Bonesmarties and went to ER when I did! Don't know if you read my saga, but after a stellar and uncomplicated recovery, 4 months after TKA, I simultaneously had a sinus infection and was bit by a horsefly on my non-TKA leg. That calf swelled up to the size of half a baseball and was red, hot and hard for 2 days. Swelling went down, was on abx for sinus, and all looked good. Night before leaving for vacation got a fever and some knee swelling. Stubbornly left for vacation and wound up in hospital in Maine for 3 days with 1 surgery there, then 7 days in Hosp. for Spec. Surgery in NY for another surg. with spacer exchange. On Vanco and Zosyn for 6 weeks via PICC line. All cultures negative. My only hope is that OS said the knee looked good inside, so hoping that saves it all.
Scary and worrisome.
Walking fine, no pain, going back to work Monday with PICC line.
Wishing you the very best!
 
OMG Vic, I am so sorry to hear this!
Welcome to the PICC line club! I am glad I listened to the Bonesmarties and went to ER when I did! Don't know if you read my saga, but after a stellar and uncomplicated recovery, 4 months after TKA, I simultaneously had a sinus infection and was bit by a horsefly on my non-TKA leg. That calf swelled up to the size of half a baseball and was red, hot and hard for 2 days. Swelling went down, was on abx for sinus, and all looked good. Night before leaving for vacation got a fever and some knee swelling. Stubbornly left for vacation and wound up in hospital in Maine for 3 days with 1 surgery there, then 7 days in Hosp. for Spec. Surgery in NY for another surg. with spacer exchange. On Vanco and Zosyn for 6 weeks via PICC line. All cultures negative. My only hope is that OS said the knee looked good inside, so hoping that saves it all.
Scary and worrisome.
Walking fine, no pain, going back to work Monday with PICC line.
Wishing you the very best!

I did read your story. You couldn't make this stuff up. A horsefly! Those things are powerful. They bring blood when they bite the horses. My PICC is on my arm above my elbow. Guess we go back to the realworld wearing it. My cultures have all been negitive too. Can't wait to see what great things happen with so many antibiotics. Good luck on the return to work.
 
Hi Vicki, sorry that all this happened, but it sounds like you are getting excellent care and I hope the 6-8 weeks pass quickly! Sending healing and positive energy your way! :friends:
 
The cultures have been negative? That is a great sign! :yahoo: How many days will you be in the hospital?

Vicki I am also glad that you went to the hostipal! Hopefully you will not have anymore problems down the road because you acted so quickly! :happydance:
 
Vicki,
So sorry you had to go thru all this, but I am really happy you went and had it looked at right away.
Hope you are doing better day by day. Keep us posted on your recovery, we all really care about you.
 
Wow Vicki, I just started to read your story as I am fairly new here, so I skipped to the last page and I thought what the heck. OMG, how horrible for you. I hope all goes well now. I know my OS is really serious when he tells me to get treated right away when you think you have an infection. Thoughts and prayers for you.
 
Vicki, I have changed your thread designation to Revision TKR and the date to 7/30/12 to reflect your current situation. Hope things are going well. Let us hear from you when you're up to it.

[Bonesmart.org] Vicki's Venture - a new knee 7/30/12
 
I'm glad you went in and got the situation addressed.
 
Oh my goodness Vicky!! Count me in for sending healing prayers your way. That is one of my biggest fears is infection. I had two surgeries in my abdomen and the incision got infected both times. But that surgery was in a very high bacteria area, so hopefully the knee will be okay.

I hope things only become good for you! Hugs!
 
Vicki,

How are you doing today? I have been praying for you and I want you to know that a lot of us are keeping tabs on you because we care! :friends:
 
Vicki,

How are you doing today? I have been praying for you and I want you to know that a lot of us are keeping tabs on you because we care! :friends:


Thank you! I have been in the hospital since Tuesday. Had surgery. Been working on a culture, heard the bad S word. I am working with infectious disease. The antibotic drip is vancomycin. Using that until we see if there is a better one.
Your thoughts and prayers are welcomed! Hope all is well with you!
 
Oh Vicki! :thud:

Vancomycin is a high powered antibotic! I am also allergic to it so it is not on the list of ones they can use! Dr. Maale used Daptomycin on me for 6 weeks and I did great with it. He said it isn't as hard on the body.

The OS that replaced everything was your original OS? He must know a lot about revisions Togo through with a one stage revision with an active infection. :) Usually if the doctor isn't well versed in revisions, he will do a two stage procedure, or sometime will do a two stage procedure to make sure all infection is out.

Do you know if he put antibotic beads in the cement that will "leach" out and give you extra protection?

Vicki, we are here for you and any questions you might have! Please know that I am praying that this will be the end of your problems! I am so glad they are bringing an infectios disease doctor on board. They will know what will kill the infection!

:friends:
 
Vicki, I just hurt for you! So discouraging. They do get these things resolved eventually, but that doesn't do much for the disappointment now. Sonja is a wonderful example of getting through SO much, and her positive attitude has helped her, I'm sure. Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom