Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im worried the Consultant will postpone the op.
Your surgeon can not postpone your op because you have questions. I would get the PALs group at the hospital involved. Call them and ask them what they recommend regarding getting the answers. It's there job and most PALs areas are happy to help.
Bad move. Bad bad move
Well, have to say I could have predicted this. Some people can watch the op realtime. I'm not one of those people. It's carpentry! I watched an animated version before my LTHR. That did help to calm me.
On my confirmation of operation form its says G.A/Spinal
They are most likely setting out either option (GA or spinal). Many times this is decided on the day depending on your own situation. If you have a preference tell them. I would take a spinal and sedation over GA any day but everyone reacts differently. You will be able to discuss this with the anaesthetist on the day. Please don't worry. Here's an article from our Library about all the different options Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else
 
At my hospital most surgeons head down the spinal route. Mine was changed on the day as I had psoriasis on my back

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Jaycey , always there with the good advice:thumb:

Yep...carpentry indeed.:yikes: Burned forever on my retina now, unfortunately.

Oh well....what has been seen cant be unseen, and at least Im going to unaware on the day. Hopefully:beg::chillpill:

Am going to look at contacting PALS, thankyou Jaycey.

Hi @Legin maybe its Spinal after all then, I will find out asap, I feel I need to know.
 
Im going to unaware on the day.
Indeed you are and if you are the least bit worried just tell the anaesthetist you don't want to see or hear anything. They are very good about helping you through this.
 
@Kay9 I'm heading down the sacred path on June 1st with my first THR. Was quite nervous until I started to think about how often I trust my life to someone else: driving, walking down the street, consuming packaged food or meds. In contrast, our healthcare professionals are highly trained professionals who have done this surgery loads of times. Our successful surgery reflects on them; they are dedicated to our success! So rather than worrying anymore, I've decided to turn my fear frown upside down. I'm now focusing on the pamper factor; professionals attending to my every need in the hospital. No cooking, cleaning, or going to work. Awesome pain pills:chillpill:, lots of napping, reading, playing my recorder, and watching movies all day at home (plus ice cream!). Lady of leisure! And best of all, no more pain and limping!!! WOOT WOOT! :roseshwr: Let the pampering begin!
 
our healthcare professionals are highly trained professionals who have done this surgery loads of times. Our successful surgery reflects on them; they are dedicated to our success!
So true but so often forgotten. Your healthcare team does this for their day job. They have done the op thousands of times and they will do everything they can to help you through your time with them. Great attitude @Teecup ! You'll be fine!
 
@Kay9 I have just joined BoneSmart after reading your post right through from the beginning , I wanted to say how sorry I am about you losing your wonderful dog George .
I had a TKR 15 weeks ago and now am waiting for an appointment to see my OS about a hip replacement ! But my only thought whilst waiting for my knee replacement was what about my dogs ? I have 4 but one in particular worried me so much as she is a rescue and lives outside because that's the way it's always been for her ( in a heated kennel mind with her own settee and radio etc ) my husband would and did look after the other dogs , my dogs were my main concern. He didn't look after me ! And I didn't want him to . He didn't even ask what type of knee operation I was having !He was selfish and unsupportive but I didn't care (I looked after myself ! ) so again during my hip replacement if he looks after my dogs that's all that matters to me .
What I was going to suggest regarding you and your daughter , why don't you have a 'trial run' with her ,maybe a day or two when you act out as though you have already had the op and see how she copes with that ? Would she be amenable to that ?
You'll actually be surprised at how much you can do for yourself quite soon after your operation . Onwards and upwards


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Teecup thats a very good point!:thumb: I guess thats really a very sensible way of looking at it. And I shall try to take some of your attitude and make it my own, thankyou:SUNsmile:

@Perky1950 ahhh a Kindred spirit:cheers: just like me, putting your dogs first. A lot of people never understood that. Im very lost without a dog in my life. In the past 5 years ive gone from 4 dogs to 3 then 2 then 1. Now none, its so strange and I hate it:sad:. George was the eldest yet out-lived them all...he really was my soul-dog:puppysmooze:
I love how your "outside dog" has all mod cons :). Its a shame your Husband couldnt be more supportive of you though. But, like me, your main worry was that your dogs were well looked after, and they were, so Im sure that was all you asked for. From one dog-lover to another, thankyou for your post, and good luck with your future hip surgery:flwrysmile:

Ive tried the "pretend Im unwell for the day" approach with my daughter before, so we could have a trial-run, but she says " but your NOT unwell" so wont do it, lol. Sure it will all be ok though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your op Kay . I know it's very , very early days for you yet but when you are 'running ' around again maybe there will be another little George who will need you as much as you will need him. I sure hope so .
Take care and let's keep in touch . Oh by the way I was told I would have a spinal and heavy sedation , but on the day the anaesthetist decided I would be better having a light GA . He said my condition would be easier to monitor that way . Leave it to them , don't stress. , they know what is best for each of us


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Kay9 nail on head hit your daughter recognised and wasn't fooled. When she see's you she will understand there is a difference. She may not show huge empathy if any but she all have the information to compute. Good luck

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just sticking my ten penn'orth in here, Kay9, to say that it will probably be best if you just go with the flow from hereon in. As others have said, your surgeon and anaesthetist have vast amounts of experience, and will want the best for you. They won't be entirely altruistic in this: they will also want you to be a satisfied customer to pass the word around.

Whilst I waited for my emergency surgery in Peru I somehow never got round to asking any useful questions. Possibly because I had no idea what to ask. A background in arts and literature is all very well and good, but you find out pdq that it provides you with precious little equipment to face the practicalities of life. The one question I can remember asking was so totally daft that I can't bring myself to tell you what it was.

I was offered no choice of anaesthetic. I had General, and if I went through it again that is what I would opt for.
If you have any medical issues which you feel might affect the choice of anaesthesia, then certainly do get your questions answered to your satisfaction. Otherwise, I reckon your team will know best.

Hang in there! It's just another few stitches in life's rich tapestry.

Glynis
 
@Kay9 I am so sorry to read about you losing your dog. I would be just as devastated, so I completely understand how you feel.
 
@Perky1950 thankyou.. Yes one day I will have another dog or 2. I cant imagine not having a dog in my life. Ive always had Bull Breeds, Staffys are by far my favorite dogs, so funny and loving and very much misunderstood:sad:. Ive also always wanted an English Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler....maybe one day. At the moment it wouldnt feel right, and I dont feel I want a dog just yet, Only George, but Im sure I will be a dog owner again, without a doubt:thumb:

Hi @Legin yep, she wasnt fooled by my "lets pretend" day was she.:heehee:. Im sure itll be different once I really do need her help.

@glynis yes I think your "dont ask, just accept" attitude is often the best. Sometimes I ask too much, then dont like the answers. Ignorance is bliss, how true that saying is! Wish Id stayed ignorant and didnt go off looking at THR surgery videos on youtube:yikes:...lesson learned and wont be repeated.

@Cindy99 thankyou so much. Ive had many dogs over the years, but theres always one that really gets under your skin and is THE special one. That was my George. The villagers that got to know him , slowly , because of his issues, all grew to love him eventually. And once he trusted someone, he was a big softie. I saw a villager who had been away and today told her about George, she burst into tears!:boohoo:. Once you had gained his trust and he yours, he was a friend to many in the village and very loved, which is a poignant legacy for a dog that was due to be euthanised because of aggression issues caused by abuse. Well Done my boy.. :angel:
 
Potential disaster...I think I have Shingles:sad:. Ive had them before, its over the left size of my tummy, its just a few bits of rash at the moment but its sore and I feel generally unwell, which is what it was like before? I cant get in to see my GP until Monday. If this is Shingles virus, can my surgery go ahead? Last time I had it for about a month.

Why has this happened now:oyvey:
 
@Kay9 oh yuk, I am so sorry about the shingles!!! Hubby had it once,so I've seen it in action. Hope your dr and Josephine can help out :) Monday is a long ways from now-- maybe it will be clearing up by then ??!!? :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
and a G.A plus Spinal. :scratch: So now Im even more confused because the nurse told me G.A and EPIDURAL. How long are you unable to move your legs?
As far as you are concerned, there is no difference, so don't worry about it. The effect usually lasts for a little under 24hrs but again, don't worry about it as you'll be fairly zonked the first day anyway!
can I ask a few questions about spinal v G.A ? Is it 100% certain that you don't hear/feel anything? Or is that only if you have a sedative too?
Absolutely! There are a few stupidly 'courageous' people who actually asked to be awake during the surgery but it's by now means usual. If you really are having a GA, it's a given you'll be out for the count. If you want to be 100% sure, speak to the anesthetists in the anaesthetic room and ask him to make sure you know nothing at all. Do remember they are used to people being a little jittery about this and will not mind you asking about it.
this pillow is for " side" sleeping after a hip op, for those of us (me) who hate sleeping on their back.
If you use that pillow, you will be violating your restrictions. And while I don't want you to get into a fizz about dislocating your hip, do please remember that this is a risk not and inevitability. Also remember that lots of hip surgeons don't require restrictions. My two sisters have had three hip replacements between them (different surgeons) and never once had restrictions.
Also, I have a manual recliner chair, I bought it, stupidly, before I saw the post on here about what kind of recliner to get. Am I going to be able to use it?
No you won't , I'm afraid. You won't have the strength in your legs to press the leg flap down. Plus the suddenness with which is comes up with be very painful for you in the first few weeks.
Surgeon is Harvey Sandhu. The hospital is a private hospital with its own Hip Unit, but I was able to choose to go there through NHS . Its actually more like a Hotel, but I do wish I knew someone who had knowledge of my surgeon
You'll be fine with him. He's one who does an awful lot of hips every year.
I so wish I was having Anterior, so I don't have to sit on the wound!
People with posterior incisions don't have to sit on the wound! It looks like this though yours will probably be a lot shorter!

[Bonesmart.org] Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.


If this is Shingles virus, can my surgery go ahead?
Sadly no. This is not only for your sake but for others on the ward as the shingles virus is very dangerous in new surgical incisions. You must contact the hospital and tell them immediately so they can tell you what their protocols are regarding this.





Posterior .... is the most likely for dislocation, hence the 90 degree restrictions.
@Midchild54 this is not the case. The incision or approach is nothing to do with the 90 degree restrictions. It's only the surgeon's preference, nothing more. In the UK there are far more surgeons who do not require these restrictions than do. Nor is the posterior the most likely for dislocations.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine Thanks for clarifying this. I was told by the physicians assistant that because so much supporting tissue was cut around hip, that it would have to heal and be strong again to keep the hip from dislocation. It kind of made sense at the time, but I've had doubts since reading posts on Bonesmart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom