Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What on earth is the 90degree thing???? I thought id been doing my homework but this is new terminology to me. Recovery from any surgery is awful the first few days, after that, everyone is different for sure, and your family sounds like they need to do their research. Depending on how old your little one is, care for them may maybe more needed than for you. I flew to tx to care for my mom and my toddler nephew at the time of her hip surgery. She required far less than the 2 yr old.... More around the clock med monitoring to keep the pain down before it erupts, set alarms!!!, and help getting up and putting on a swelling stocking for the first few days especially.
Even bough I've cared for someone healing after this surgery, I'm still terrified about my upcoming date. You sound like a superstar putting everything into place to set up for successful recovery. I must do the same and fast as this is not getting any farther away! Best to you darlin!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
90 degree is how far you can bend new hip. As tendons muscles are traumatised at first its advised dont lean forward beyond 90 degree as can result in disslocation.
@Kay9 its soo difficult and leaves a space in your heart empty.
As ever we are here for you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Tweefishy my "little one" is 29 lol...not so little, She has special needs. Yep the 90 degree thing is majorly freaking me out too! It almost doesn't seem possible, but others manage it, and so shall we:thumb:

@Legin thankyou, I appreciate your thoughts. Im struggling big-time. Today has been the worst day so far, :sad: But maybe tomorrow will be less of a struggle. Thanks again legin.
 
@Kay9
Just caught up ....so sorry to hear of your loss. These beautiful animals of ours leave us so bereft when they pass on....but with a whole lot of beautiful memories....thinking of you. I still miss my beautiful collies.
As for the 90 degree restrictions...please don't worry, after the first week they become part of your 'being'...just for a while! To be honest your body makes sure that you don't transgress it. It really is not onerous. My posterior hip is brilliant! As for 'sitting ' on it....although it's called posterior it is really slightly to the side of your thigh so is not too difficult to sit on.
I had spinal with sedation.....never heard or saw anything after the spinal ( didn't feel a thing) bit of a non-event to be honest...was back in the ward and walking a few steps by the evening. Xxx





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Do you use the golfer bend to get things, I have been using it for years it protects back.
Its absolutely fine to post your feelings here re your loss so many feel for you and can relate

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @zauberflöte , thanks for asking after me. :)
Im ok, thankyou. missing my fur-baby bigtime, but thats to be expected. He was a huge part of my life and its strange not to have him here.

Im going for all my pre-op stuff tomorrow, its a 3 hour appointment so I guess its xrays, bloods etc? Its bringing it home to me that my op is drawing ever closer:scary: And Im scared, ive got to be honest. And my hip has hardly been hurting at all ! Well, its been hurting, but not that terrible horrible pain. I guess because Im not dog-walking long ways everyday, its not so sore? I know I still need it done though, because im limping, and the pain is there, just not as severe.

I bought a Slumber Support pillow, Im already using it every night and its so comfy!:yes:. Its supporting my hip and Im not waking in the night like I was. Im taking the leaflet along with me tomorrow to double check with the hospital that its ok to use after the op. I hope so, because the thought of sleeping on my back for weeks is depressing.

Right, Im going off to catch up on all the posts ive missed reading. I will post again tomorrow with an update from my pre-op.

:flwrysmile:
 
Went for my pre-op stuff today. And went to "joint school":heehee: but didnt actually get much out of that because if was a video and slide show about knee replacement, I was the only one in the group of 15 or so having a hip done, and all the talk was about knee surgery, flexation, etc, so although it was interesting, it wasnt too helpful an hour. They did cover constipation a lot though:ok: So Im well versed on that. The person giving the talk said everyone would be having epidural with sedation, they dont like to use G.A because it takes longer to recover and get us mobile and home.

Then it was off to see Nurse, bloods etc, told me Im having a G.A with epidural,:shrug: so if anyone has had this combination and can tell me a bit about that, thanks in advance. Then was told my bad leg is a whopping 2 inches shorter than my other leg! The nurse thought she detected a heart murmer and went to get someone else to listen, but they couldnt detect it, so no idea what thats all about. Anyway, then O.T . where I was told more about the actual op and recovery, which confused me to be honest...I was told Posterior, but she said the cut would be down the side? :what: ( I asked if that was Posterior and she said yes?) About12- 14 inches in length? Restrictions for 3 months:sad:. No driving for 8 weeks.
The measurements of my chairs/sofas were no good, so I cant use the recliner I bought, but after a bit of ringing around she managed to arrange for a high upright chair to be loaned to me. Home after 2 days all being well:thumb:

So....looks like this is happening:shocked:
 
@Kay9 I am so sorry but I never received the tag regarding your losing your four footed friend. As many here know I had to help my Jerry cat across the bridge 3 days after my RTHR. The pain of losing him was far worse than any post op pain. That coupled with losing his brother only 6 months earlier.

Your furry friend is in a better place now. I know how hard it is as these friends support us through the tough times. But I am sure you would not have wanted him to suffer any more. Focus on your health and getting to a better mobility. George would approve!

Sorry your pre-op was chaos! I would call your surgeon with any questions you still have. Many hippies have just a spinal and sedation as anaesthesia. It's great - no groggy feeling or nausea.
Restrictions for 3 months:sad:. No driving for 8 weeks.
Sounds like your surgeon is ultra cautious. Be sure and confirm this with their office.
 
Hi @Kay9 Well, your "Joint Class" got you out of the house if nothing else :heehee: I didn't have any class, but the nurse I spoke to at my pre op appointment discussed just about everything anyway! Mind you she measured me for TED stockings, which I did not have to have post surgery (surgeons preference), and explained the 28 days of blood thinner injections... which I also didn't have to have, again surgeon's preference (I just had an aspirin a day, woohoo!!) so what you're told pre op isn't "gospel" as it were :cool:

I was told that it WOULD BE spinal with sedation (spinal is not epidural btw, there's a link in the library here discussing the difference) by the anesthetist that spoke to/examined me that day, he was pushy - when I said I was very concerned about hearing anything (I had just watched a Posterior THR on YouTube with sound, it's loud) he said I probably wouldn't hear anything - it made me very apprehensive :scaredycat: I asked if I HAD to have that and he said, well it's what we do, there are benefits over GA (didn't point out that there are also negatives with spinal, but he WAS selling that :snork:) but on the day of surgery I had a different anesthetist and he said I could have whichever I preferred... they like spinal as you maintain breathing for yourself, they don't have to take it over for you as they do in a GA, BUT as I was so nervous that he thought GA the better option for me, so that's what I had. Ironically if I'd had him at my pre op assessment I'd probably have gone with spinal as he made me feel more like my concerns re hearing would have been addressed.

Incidentally I "came out of" the GA brilliantly...:) very clear headed and no nausea (a little once I returned to my room, but I ate and that went away) I was up on crutches a few hours after the op (no dead legs, lol) and doing laps of the ortho floor by next afternoon... so the GA definitely worked for ME

I had Posterior Approach too... that is how it was described to me and is on my notes, but my scar is more to the side than I was expecting, certainly not down the middle of my bum like I imagined!! I had 12 weeks of precautions too, they were no fun but not as difficult to maintain as I thought they'd be, far easier.

Once I got the concept that they were designed to protect me and not "punish" me I could deal with it. My OS pointed out that it was a numbers game... if I stuck to the precautions as often as I could I reduced the ALREADY VERY LOW risk of dislocation - but that if I "broke" one occasionally it wasn't bound to cause problems.

I could drive at six weeks, I expected to be chafing at the bit by then, but really wasn't too bad. Being "allowed" to drive seemed to be the thing, once I could I hardly did for weeks!! It is a nuisance getting other people to take you to appointments etc (though if our public transport system was any good I could have been using that by then for sure) but again not as bad as you're thinking now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kay9 wow you have been busy today! Now, no more appointments! Nest at home and be there for your daughter :)
I had GA, surgeon's preferred--"it relaxes the patient more". I am a hard core nausea case, but we got it under control in a few hours. The little barf sock they gave me almost made it worthwhile-- too cute! Mind, I was high on Percocet the whole time :lol:
The waiting is the scary and hard part-- and we don't ever believe others who tell us that pre op! But the surgery itself is a non event, as you will only be there in flesh, not in mind or senses. The relief when you wake up after is pretty overwhelming-- "you mean it's done? I got all worked up for that?"
Keep posting, someone will always come by to help! :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @Kay9 ! Looks like we are scheduled for surgery the same day!

My pre-op appointment is June 1st. I'll try not to be too concerned if I get conflicting information. I guess the OS has the final say! I don't know if I get a choice of spinal or GA. I might be OK with a spinal since it seems you don't remember anything even if you DO hear it...

I haven't signed up for my "joint class" yet, but I expected it would be quite general. Heck, after reading all the fabulous info on BoneSmart, we could probably *teach* the joint class!!!

So sorry to hear about the loss of your heart dog! I think that letting them go when it's time is the last, best gift we can give them. I have a 16 year-old Corgi, and we're working hard to keep him healthy and happy. He and I mostly limp around the house together. :^)

Keep busy the next 4 weeks, and pop back here if the nerves start to get to you!
 
@Kay9 Hi, . I have read some of this thread, I have last week had my pre-operating assessment for my hip replacement review. I originally had this done 15 years ago. Mine was a thr then and it was none cemented which meant that I was not allowed to weight bear for 6 weeks. I was running a pub at the time and I managed to get about and still be involved. The hospital provided me with the aids I needed and the red cross loaned me a wheelchair for low fee. Do not worry too much about the 90° thing, your body will tell you what it can and can't do. I have now been advised that as I having the operation in Oxford and live in STAFFORDSHIRE I will need to obtain the aids myself (apart from the grabber and sticks).I have been told that help the aged are a good source for this. Also with regard to any home help you may need, I had to have metal plates removed from both legs when I was 27 in preparation for the hip replacement. At the time I had a 3 year old and wasn't allowed to weight bear on either leg for six weeks. My gp put me in touch with a charitable home help organisation who sent me carers to help with my son and around the house. I wish you luck for your operation, mine is booked for 2nd July, by which time I hope you are feeling a lot more mobile.
 
@Jaycey thankyou for your kind words. Im sorry you had to make that heartbreaking choice with your Jerry-cat , and losing your Brother too, so much to bare all at one time:sad:. Like me losing my Dad then my George. I cry for them both everyday.

I emailed my Consultant asking some of those questions, today his secretary replied and said the Consultant agrees Yes, it is 3 months of restrictions and a G.A plus Spinal. :scratch: So now Im even more confused because the nurse told me G.A and EPIDURAL. Im afraid to ask any more questions because the secretary said in the email that the Consultant said if I have any other questions, to postpone surgery and make an appointment to ask them.:sad:.

@craftdee thats all very helpful, thankyou!
Especially this bit ......"Once I got the concept that they were designed to protect me and not "punish" me I could deal with it. My OS pointed out that it was a numbers game... if I stuck to the precautions as often as I could I reduced the ALREADY VERY LOW risk of dislocation - but that if I "broke" one occasionally it wasn't bound to cause problems. " because I was already stressing out about the 90degree thing when I thought it was only 6 weeks, so when they said 3 months I was horrified.

Also, from your post, it sounds as if you were expecting the wound to be literally posterior, the same as I was. Thats why I was so confused when the Nurse said it was down the side. Oh well, at least I wont be sat on the wound :thumb:
Thanks for all your help, very informative post.

@zauberflöte yep the waiting is going to be hard, Im so so scared that I almost want this done like, yesterday! On the one hand Im thinking, " omg its only 4 weeks away!:yikes: " But on the other hand Im thinking " I want this over and done with NOW " I want this 4 weeks to go slowly, then I want it to go fast!:flabber:

@agileHippie hello fellow Sunbeam:SUNsmile::wave:
I love Corgis, bless them and their little legs:). My George used to play with a Corgi some years ago, was a funny sight because when the corgi wanted some shade from the heat, she would stand under Georges belly:snork:. Yes you are right, letting them go is our last kindness we can do for them. It was so sudden though, even though he was 14 he was a big strong lively dog, then gone in a matter of an hour. I guess its best that way though, however hard it is for me.

You sound very calm and matter of fact about your op....I wish I was like you. Im such a scardy-cat
:sos:.

@hayleybell63 wow you managed all that after a THR:shocked:, you are Superwoman! Puts me to shame lol...
My GP here is a lovely man but very scatty and kind of s l o w about sorting things out:bored:. Its a tiny village surgery and I swear half the elderly population in the village just make an appointment to go in and have a natter:snork:. Its nice on the one hand because nothing is rushed, time to chat etc, but when something urgent needs doing, its a bit lacking. I do have to see him before my op though, so will again chase up any help I might be able to get.
To be honest, in a heartbreaking way, my main problem has been sorted, George was potentially my biggest concern, what with him being afraid of people, reacting to people coming to the house so being aggressive, the fact that I was the only person who could walk him etc...I dont have that problem now, although I wish I did:boohoo:But I do have to admit it is going to be easier without him. I hate to say that, and when others have said it to me its made me angry, but I have to admit its true:sad:
Maybe he went when he did to MAKE it easier for me.:puppysmooze:
 
the secretary said in the email that the Consultant said if I have any other questions, to postpone surgery and make an appointment to ask them.
This is totally out of line! I would go back and demand to speak to someone medical - not his secretary. She has absolutely no right to threaten you with cancellation. It is your right to ask all the question you need to ask. Please don't be put off by this bully!

BTW, you will meet with your surgeon and the anaesthetist on the day of your surgery. Typically they will spend time with you to answer all your questions. So write them down now and take them with you on the day.

PS: I would call hospital's PALs team and ask for their help in getting answers to your questions. I did this when I was struggling getting my RTHR scheduled. They broke through the bureaucratic garbage within a few days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound very calm and matter of fact about your op

I'm calm as long as I'm just checking off items on my to-do list. I've scheduled my pre-op meltdown for the night before my surgery. Though I'll have to wait until after my nephew's birthday party.... :scaredycat:
 
@Jaycey Im too afraid to " rock the boat" by asking anymore questions, Im worried the Consultant will postpone the op...Ive already been waiting about 15 months for it. Ive got to admit I was a bit floored by the email reply. Although Im guessing the Secretary only wrote what the Consultant told her to write?

He was quite sharp and unapproachable when I asked him questions when I saw him, but apparently he's a good Surgeon and does 200 THRs a year, so I guess his Social Skills shouldnt matter to me as long as his Operating Skills are good. Would have been nice to be able to ask some questions though. I will write down all I want to know and ask them on the morning of my op.

Im actually very scared right now. i was worrying about 6 weeks of restrictions before, so to find out I have 3 months of restrictions has made me worse! So in my warped mind I thought...." I know, lets watch a hip replacement video, to help me understand what my leg has been through and why I need to treat it with respect afterwards" :yikes: Bad move. Bad bad move.:scare:

Seriously.:scary:
 
Also, why am I having a G.A with EPIDURAL.? On my confirmation of operation form its says G.A/Spinal, but the Nurse in pre-op said its definitely Epidural? i know spinal and epidural are different, but how exactly, and which one is it Im likely to be having? If anyone has had any of those, any pointers will be great thanks.
 
@Kay9 oh you poor thing!!! I had heard quite enough on here about just how they go about the op, and don't like hospital operating scenes anyway, so I avoided those videos studiously!! Actually, one look at a photo of JUST a Hana table, no person in sight, was enough to give me the willies. (That is only used for the anterior approach). I am so sorry you have all that in your head now! Please be confident that for you the op will last about five seconds!!! It' the staff who will be working out.
I don't understand the anaesthesia thing either, but whatever the anaesthesiologist tells you on the day will be what you get. Be sure to tell them as soon as you get there that you are anxious; they will give you something that will make life easy.
Your OS sounds overworked. Some doctors are just brusque like that. You are right to value his surgical skills!
The restrictions, so people on here say, are fairly easy to deal with. They are not punishment, they are simply a tool for you to use while the initial healing happens. You will be so overjoyed that the bone on bone pain is gone that you won't notice the boringness of precautions. :) wish I could visit and give a hug!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom