Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One good day but how many not good. As others say body, sheesh who can fathom it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Very true legin:thumb:

Has anyone heard of a large pillow that actually straps to the leg, made especially for post-op THR, its called a SLUMBER SUPPORT.? Sounds good but expensive at around £50.00 . Would it be worth it?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.
    image.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 287
I just put support where needed under calf mainly esp keepin heel of bed
 
Hi legin, this pillow is for " side" sleeping after a hip op, for those of us ( me) who hate sleeping on their back. Apparently it means you can sleep on the unoperated side, with the operated hip being fully supported? It straps to the leg so it doesn't move in the night. It sounds a great idea but I dont know if its a gimmick and worth the money. I love the idea of being able to side-sleep though, if at all possible.
 
Ihated back but just fell asleep. Cept in hostipital was always hanging of overhead support aid thing.
 
I'll bet you could accomplish the same thing by buying one of those long "body pillows" at a bed and bath store (or online!) and using a soft belt to strap it to your leg. This is to allow you to sleep on your side without violating a midline restriction? I am all for making do and jury-rigging :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi zauberflote, i did think about the long body pillows, but The ones Ive seen don't seem wide enough, Id be worried my leg would slip forward off it I think? Ive just found another supplier of the slumber support quite a bit cheaper with no delivery cost , Im really tempted to get it, even though I cant really afford it. But maybe it might be a good buy, sleeping on my back really is going to be a problem for me as Ive got back problems and whenever I wake and have moved onto my back in the night I have pain. Plus I will be having the other hip done sometime in the not too distant future, so it would be used again. I like that its shaped to fit and that it straps on, so it wont be moving about. I just dont want to waste money if anyone on here has used one and its no good? Here are more details about it, if anyone has any experience of this item, or any advice, Id be very grateful.
broken link removed: https://www.cambridgefutons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Slumber-Support.jpg
broken link removed: https://www.cambridgefutons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Instructions-for-Use.jpg
Slumber Support
From £39.50

The Slumber Support alleviates pain by giving gentle support. It is an ergonomically designed pillow to support your hip, knee and back whilst sleeping on your side. Designed, manufactured and registered as a medical device in the UK.



How it helps
Hips
Can be used to support your hip from beneath whilst sleeping on your side. In addition it may be used post-operatively allowing the patient to lie on their side significantly reducing the chance of adduction.

Back
May be used to alleviate lower back pain with referred symptoms into the leg, by maintaining the lumbar spine in a neutral position and preventing the supported leg rolling forward so putting a torsion on the lower spine.

Knees
To support your knee from below, helping it from medical movement whilst sleeping on your side.




Now recommeded by Physiotherapists and Consultants at The West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds, Addenbrookes Hospital Cambridge and the Physio team at Ramsey Rivers Hospital in Sawbridgeworth.

Slumber Support is a LARGE cushion which is designed to keep patients stable on their side whilst keeping the operated leg parallel to the bed and fully supported (see the picture). The size of the cushion is important as it anchors the patient safely on their side, reducing the chance of adduction whilst sleeping. A smaller cushion would not achieve this.

Post-operative use of this product should only be undertaken after professional advice from a qualified surgeon or physiotherapist.
 
I think as long as it is fine medically as it seems to be the major thing is gives you peace of mind. Stops worry about back sleeping or not sleeping. Makes you feel safe but if it helps you sleep yes as sleeping time is healing time.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
When I had my RTHR done in Nov 14, I was very concerned about sleeping on my back. I have lower and mid back pain as well as sleep apnea(not bad enough for cpap) and post nasal drip that can start me coughing, all of which causes me the most problems on my back. After surgery, not feeling I had a choice, I got very creative with support of pillows. When I broke my collarbone, there was no choice at all. I stacked the pillows behind my back and head so I was in a more reclining position and kept a smaller softer pillow under my knees. All of this gave me great back support and gave a breathing airway for apnea and drip. With the pain meds, I was pleasantly surprised that I could sleep well and through the night. I don't know what kind of back problems you have, but perhaps you can experiment a bit before surgery to see if you can find a happy place where you can sleep on your back. I also had a posterior approach, and support or no support for my hips, I could not sleep on my good side for two weeks. It's hard to explain, but the pain or aching I had had little to do with the support and more to do with the position I was in. I'm not convinced that using that support pillow will allow you to sleep on your side any sooner. I wish you all the best. I get to do this all again on my left in less than two weeks. If I think of anything else that will help you, I will keep in touch.
 
Hi Kay

I'm so sorry to read about all your concerns. My hip surgery was the result of an accident abroad, so I hadn't experienced years of nagging pain, and also did not exactly have much choice in the matter of surgery.

What I do relate to in your story, however, is that you are your daughter's carer. I was my son's carer (he was my only child) for all of his short 20 years, and as I recovered from my surgery I often pondered how different the scenario would have been had he still been alive.

I have lost track of the mysterious ways of Social Services in the intervening years, but I am sure you are entitled to some practical help. Does your GP have a practice nurse? He presumably must be able to at least call on the services of a Health Visitor, even if there is not one based in his surgery. These people should know what help you might be given. (At the risk of offending someone on here whose sister turns out to be the finest and most dedicated Social Worker known to mankind, I did not always have good experiences with them.) But nurses tend to be more useful and practical.

Was your daughter Statemented when she was in full-time education? There is a health component to the Statement. What happens to this requirement when they leave full-time education? Surely your local Health Authority must be obliged to give you some help, at least.

Regarding practicalities, I was given a walker straight away, and had no trouble with it. (I don't know how often people need crutches.) It is good that you are in a bungalow. Have a look round and see if your furniture is arranged so you have optimum space to move around. (If your daughter can tolerate any re-arranging.) Get rid of any mats, or other trip hazards.

I personally had no appetite for ages after my surgery, and I think making and freezing some sandwiches now is a great idea. Cold meats and firm cheese are good. (Don't put any garnish on at this stage, though, as it doesn't freeze). Ditto the paper plates. Great idea.

You know your mother very well. Not up to me to make suggestions here, but I just wonder if having even a small amount of responsibility for you might help her to get over losing your dad? Even if she just spends time with you some days, I think you will appreciate it.

Regarding shopping, have you considered supermarket home delivery? They are all so desperate to be seen as helpful and reliable, if you explain your circumstances I'm sure the driver would carry the box in for you.

The British Red Cross hire out some disability equipment. Worth a phone call, I reckon.

Whatever you decide, you will get through this period of your life. Onwards and upwards!

Glynis
 
@Kay9 that looks like the sleep pillow to top all sleep pillows!! I inspected it very carefully looking for a strap around the leg, when all the time it was up at the waist, silly me. It looks great if it suits your sleep style.
I don't know if I have posted this to you, but I firmly agree with @glynis (hey there, funniest lady in the UK :) :) ) that a walker (wheeled on the front) is the way to go. It will not interfere with your gait so long as you have the handlebar set high enough and remember to stand tall and stay inside the frame. It also doubles as an amazing rack to drape all sorts of totes on. I had a deep tote bag in one side, my purse on the other, and a chef's apron with huge pockets tied to the front. About the only thing I couldn't carry was the toilet :lol: And, the added load does not interfere with your balance at all. Don't forget the tennis balls for the rear legs!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Thankyou all for your posts:)

Hi midchild. First, Id like to say I hope your surgery in 2 weeks time goes well. :flwrysmile:

Im interested in the fact you couldnt sleep on your good side after your posterior op, Ive never even considered that I might not be able to do that, I really hope I can. Can I ask if you were in less pain after the 2 weeks then?
I have had back problems for a long time, Ive had 2 slipped discs, have crumbling of discs and a bit of a curved spine, plus when I had a lumber puncture when I was being tested for M.S, there was a sudden panic because the needle was in and something in my back wasnt where it was supposed to be, caused the medical staff to run off and get more equipment in a panic, but Im really not sure what that was all about haha....sleeping on my back hurts within a very short time and anytime at all Ive woken on my back Im in pain, as if the back has " seized up" so Im really hoping I can sleep on my side! Im going to try your suggestion tonight about messing about with the pillows a bit and see what I can sort though.:thumb:


Hi Glynis. Im so sorry about losing your son:sad:. Such a young age.

I know you totally understand my concerns about doing this when caring for a disabled adult . It really is a worry. Ive not had good experiences with Social Services. I had to fight for every little bit of help Ive ever had with my Daughter, which isnt much to be honest. We had an hour a week before I moved here, none since moving here. Once when S.S finally sent someone out from the Adult Learning difficulties team to interview us at our old home, to see about possibly taking my daughter out for an hour a week, I was told they couldnt take her oit because she has petite mal epilepsy, and has " absence" seizures, and their staff would be in danger if she " fell on them". :unsure:.
Finally we got the hour a day, but all they did was take her to walk to a cafe, have a coffee and walk back. So really, no help has ever been given. Shes never been to a " centre" to learn living skills, or to any groups, nothing at all. She was statmented at school and had a special needs teacher for an hour and that was every day, but since leaving school, nothing really at all. Everything seemed to stop when she left school. So Im fighting here for what I HOPE is going to be more than an hour a week of something for her. Someone said to once that its because shes got a "borderline disability". Shes disabled enough that she needs help, but not disabled enough for Some people to realise that.

Yep thats very true what you said about Mum, I was thinking the exact same thing, it might do her some good to be out here for a week. She did care for my Dad for years before he died, but he cared for her too. She did sometimes moan that he was a lot to cope with at times, but I think that when someone takes a lot of your time, you miss them even more. It might give her a purpose, to care for someone again for a while? Having said that, shes very unsteady on her feet and her eyesight isn't good, so would be limited in what she can do, but Im not going to say that to her, bless her.
I think Im going to ask for a walker, sounds like a very helpful thing to have. Yep Im lucky im in a bungalow, there are 7 steps up to the front door ( why build a bungalow for disabled/elderly people then put loads of steps to the front door!) but theres a back entrance I can go in with no steps. Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I do appreciate it a lot
Zauberflote, the image youve put in my mind of you with your apron and all your stuff hanging off your walker made me smile :heehee: And Im certainly going to try all that if I can get a walker! But what are the tennis balls for the back legs?:what:
 
Glad to make you smile!!! On many walkers, there are wheels on the front legs and rubber "cane tip"-like things on the rear legs. The tennis ball is a very common home grown way to make a walker move smoothly across the floor/carpet. You cut a slit or an "X" in a tennis ball, and fit it over the bottom of the walker leg. Thus can you walk smoothly, without halting to pick up the walker every step. (You may first need to remove anything that's already on the walker legs. )
Your social services sounds like it's playing ostrich with its head in the sand. I wish matters would improve there! We were extremely fortunate that our son was eligible for a state program which sent him to a dedicated vocational residential school. Got him Out Of The House for 10 out of 12 months-- what a God-send that was for us, and a maturing experience for him. Now he has a fulltime job, with benefits, using the training he received there. I wish you had something like that to help you and DD out!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi Kay, yes I was in a lot less pain after two weeks. The first week is the worst and then it gets better from there. I had ice on my hip 24/7 and I'm convinced that was the largest healing factor for me. I had no swelling. I am truly sorry about your back problems. I have had a bad back since I was a teenager but never to the extent of yours. @Josephine will probably be able to better explain why you can't sleep on your side for a few weeks after surgery. She also may have some better ideas for comfort. Have you ever used an egg crate mattress? It is a God send for anyone with back problems. I find if you can lessen pressure points, it helps a lot with back pain, hence the use of soft giving pillows (I prefer feather down). A pillow under my knees on my back and between my knees while on my side helped so much that I still use it and probably always will. I will pray that you will find the comfort and relief you seek, in all your concerns. God Bless☺
 
If you sleep on side there is a very big possibility you will cross legs and take the staight alignment out of hip down leg hence that rolls royce of pillows stops it. At least its my thought as I was told cross legs a big no no.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am just getting to this thread. When I had my first hip done they used a yellow, wedge pillow like device between my legs. It had straps that held it in place. I used it whenever they rolled me on my side to change the dressing. When I left the hospital I took it with me and used it in rehab. I was so glad I had it. Maybe they will use when in your hospital.

Sleeping on my side was impossible for some time.
 
Haha the tennis balls are a great idea zauberflote:heehee: If I get a walker I will be sure to steal a couple from my dogs toybox!

Midchild ive googled egg crate mattresses, never heard of them, but they look quite uncomfortable, although when reading about them I realise they obviously are comfortable, and possibly worth thinking about, they are so expensive though! Worth it if they help with my back though! Thankyou for your kind thoughts.

Legin, the rolls royce of pillows:snork: i like that. Im going to look into getting it I think.

Webbie yep I think they do use those pillows in my hospital, I dont know how it would work at home for laying on my side though? I thought they were only for keeping the legs apart while on the back? So I think im going to invest in the rolls royce of pillows:thumb:
 
I used to use an egg crate mattress camping! My latest love, since I'm not allowed to have my water bed at this leased house, is a good thick piece of memory foam, on top of my cheapo air mattress from Target. Almost as good as a water bed! I have pressure and/or trigger points all over my body, and probably bursitis in both hips, and a soft bed is the only way I get any sleep at all.
@Kay9 , if you want dog slobbered tennis balls running all over your floors, far be it from me to go EEWWWWWW :lol: :lol: :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Haha I didnt think of the " slobbery" tennis balls, good point zauberflote!

I have a few questions to anyone who can help. Ive been reading the hospital gumph on their website, and Im a bit confused. I thought Posterior approach from behind?

But It says ...

"The operation itself takes between 60 and 90 minutes and your surgeon will make a small cut on the side of your hip and remove the damaged ball and socket. This will be replaced with an artificial joint which can be made of metal, plastic, ceramic or a combination of these materials, an acrylic cement is used to bond the new joint directly onto your bone."


Plus I thought Anterior approach was the least likely for dislocation?

But then it says....

  • Dislocation of the joint and leg length inequality are possible but the risk is less than 1%. This is kept to the absolute minimum through your consultant using the recommended posterior approach to the hip joint and excellent discharge advice from your physiotherapists and nurses with a home visit if needed.

So im pretty confused about this ?.
 
Isnt anterior thru the front of thigh. Posterior close to buttock. 4 weeks after during night my dog plus lodger dog made huge noise I jumped forward and sorted them then thought oops I was way beyond 90 I flopped to side and slowly straightened nae probs. But honesrly most of the time its inbuilt not to go over 90.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom