Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine , thankyou for all your answers. I have a few questions though. IF this is shingles, why can I not have the surgery? Ive read today online about a Lady who had hip surgery, and she had Herpes at the time...isnt shingles part of the herpes virus family? If someone who has herpes can have a hip replacement and be fine, why would hospital potentially not do my surgery, with shingles? Or is it different?

Also, the Slumber Support pillow I bought was so I could sleep on the un operated side WITHOUT breaking the restrictions, according to the instructions/bumf. Would I not, in your opinion, be able to use it then?

Thanks Josephine, I appreciate your help. The thought that I might not now be able to have my surgery is really upsetting me.
 
I'm sure it is but it's always best to know the facts. I have no idea why that lady was allowed to have surgery when suffering from herpes but she shouldn't have.

I spent a short time in hospital as an occupational health nurse and a considerable amount of my time was spent screening staff for immunity to the varicella zoster virus (vzv) because one the the staff's children has chicken pox and that person was now a risk to patients who were pre or post-surgical, immuno-compromised or elderly and frail. They also put other members of staff into the risk status - risk of passing it on, that is - if the parent of the ailing child was not immune and passed it on to another member of staff or patient who also was not immune.

The incubation period is 7 to 21 (usually 10 to 21) days after exposure to vzv to the development of the symptoms. The disease is most contagious a day or two before the rash appears and until the rash is completely dry and scabbed over. So you see, there is plenty of time for the virus to be spread around on a ward of post-surgical patients who, if not themselves immune, could be made seriously ill as a result.

As I said before, you need to ring the hospital and see what their protocol now is because the protocol I had to work to was 20 years ago and things do change!
 
Thanks @Josephine , Ive just got back from the GP and he is convinced its Psoriasis:unsure:. I guess Im relieved , because if it had of been shingles I wouldnt have been able to have my op, but now Im fretting about having Psoriasis, although he did say its likely its come out now because of all the stress Ive had lately and it doesnt mean Im going to have lots of problems with Psoriasis in the future. He pointed out what I thought was a small patch of dry skin on my elbow too and said it was psoriasis.

I think I mustve just panicked and automatically thought " omg, shingles!" And then convinced myself I felt unwell:yes:, because ive felt a bit run down. So, on the whole, good news really:thumb:

Good luck to anyone having surgery today, and all my fellow Sunbeams:flwrysmile:
 
Great news @Kay9 - not that you have psoriasis but that it's not shingles! It's a stressful time. Be good to yourself!
 
As a fellow psoriasis sufferer get out in the sun lass tizz best and the vit d wont hurt you. Keep smiling
 
Seriously tho Kay9 knock it on the head I didn't at start and I'm left to rue the day. Get Deprobase the large container I use it as moisturizer and soap. Try not to scratch even grandson tells me off. People don't know how bad it can be. Not just outbreaks but when a mother pulls their child away from you at the swimming pool because of how your skin is it hurts

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin :cry: Thats terrible! How ignorant! Im so sorry you had to face that:sad:. Shame on those parents!
I remember being out with a friend Xmas shopping once, and he had bad Eczema on his face, a group of idiot youths passed us and made nasty comments and pretended to ring a bell shouting " unclean unclean" etc...I went up to them and said " there are creams that will help that go, but YOU are stuck with YOUR face!" :censored:

Well Im here awake again at 3am for the third night running because of pain.:bawl:Its never been as bad as its been lately, Im in agony. No matter what way I try to lay, my hip has sharp pain and throbbing. My muscles are cramping and my knee hurts too when I walk. When I do manage to fall asleep, the pain jolts me awake with a cry. I dont know why suddenly this bad every night, but I cannot wait to get this done now! 9 days seems a hell of a long way away if its going to be like this every night. It cant come soon enough for me now. Tramadol or Cocodomal arnt touching it. Roll on June 15th!
 
You are one gutsy lady, bravo you for telling those kids off!!
I am so sorry the pain is ramping up on you at night. The only comfort is that by suppertime on the 15th, it will be a thing of the past!!! You will likely have some sleepless periods post op, but napping during the day will be irresistible and sooo nice!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Kay9

I had some bad nights leading up to surgery. I know more than once that my husband said I was moaning in my sleep. Muscles and bone were all getting in on the act. I tried Icy / Hot for the muscle cramping and hated going to sleep smelling the stuff. @zauberflöte is so right...soon you won't be kept up at night by pain! I have been using a Shine fitness tracker both before and since my surgery. Post surgery, I am amazed by my sleep pattern! There is good, restful sleep not far off in your future!
 
@zauberflöte , @JulieJF , thankyou. This is driving me mad, its 5.5am and Im awake again, everytime Im just dropping off or just gone to sleep, an intense pain suddenly shoots through my groin. Ive just woken my daughter up by screaming out as it woke me, Ive no idea what it is? I cant straighten my leg either. Its like its locked?

Ive just taken 2 more cocodomals so Im going to try to sleep again now, but this is starting to scare me now, Ive had this before but never to this extent, sometimes it happens once or twice a night but not as excruciating, but this has been happening all night now. ive got a long busy day tomorrow so I could do without this.

Right Im going to try sleeping again. Thankyou both for your posts:)
 
I had cramps in muscles I didn't know I had before the opp. Worse thing was because of hip couldn't stretch it out. You are.king fine, let all worries and concerns tumble out as believe me you are not alone.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Kay. So sorry about your pain. Is there any chance the doc can move your surgery up? I can't even imagine going through that every night.

I just had to comment on your comeback for the hooligans. I had a lighter one time that said "I may be fat, but your ugly, and I can diet":heehee: Your comment reminded me of it.
 
@Kay9 you have had a lot to deal with. Sending warm thoughts, hugs , and caring hands to take care of you. Prior to surgery a heating pad helped with some of those tight muscles and soreness, I never found any help medicine wise except to take some of the edge off. Try to take care of yourself and use the bone smart mantra of letting stuff go...get rest when you can. I know it must be difficult to imagine the next few days. Before you know it you will be on the other side. Keep us posted.
 
@Kay9 that is awful, I am so sorry! I'd be scared too! Let's tag @alexthecat see post 151 and see if there's anything we're missing for you.
How about a script for a muscle relaxant? Just for at night? Also, is there any way at all you can shift some of your schedule around so you have fewer long busy days-- just spread the stuff out over several days? I know, if somebody told me to do that I'd want to smack them, but it's just an idea :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Legin its good to have this place, Im sure my family just think Im making a fuss over nothing sometimes. They have no idea what a bone on bone pain feels like. Im glad I can come here and people will understand.

@Midchild54 I love your comeback:heehee:. I may use it. I dont think the Consultant would move my surgery forward at this late stage. Id be afraid to ask him to be honest, hes not very approachable and the last time I contacted him he told me if I had anything else I wanted to raise with him I should postpone surgery and make an appointment to ask. Think its best to manage best I can now.

@sunbunny thankyou for the caring hands:). This is the only place I feel cared for at the moment, and those words mean a lot.

@zauberflöte thankyou. Yes its scary, because I dont know why this is suddenly happening like this?:unsure:. Its such an intense sudden pain, it really makes me cry. I cant slow down at the moment because my Daughter is having hospital visits 3 days a week because shes about to have a baby and has lots of health problems, tomorrow she has to go again for a lung-function test and doppler, another scan on Monday and on Wednesday she has to go again to see the anaesthetist. I have to drive her everytime, its a 30 mile round trip and its always a lot of walking when in the hospital. I dont have ANYTHING sorted yet for my surgery on Monday week, so ive got quite a busy time ahead really.

Im actually dreading trying to sleep tonight. Im in bed now and already its hurting a lot. I cant wait for this to be over. No post op pain can be this bad, surely. Things can only get better:dubious:
 
@Kay9 hope your daughter's appointments went well. Hope you can find some rest. Find some pillows and try to find a place where you don't hurt as much. Sorry that the medical Drs are not supporting you. Hugs and vent anytime.
 
@sunbunny thankyou. My Daughters appointments are going well so far. She has multiple health issues and they are basically just keeping an eye on her and the baby.

Well its 1.10 am and here I am awake with the pain again. Ive tried ice, pillows, tramadol, laying in different positions...nothing works. im about to drop off to sleep then BHAM, that searing pain hits. Makes me cry out.

My GP is VERY anti-tablets. He rarely prescribes. i went to him some time ago for Diazepam but he wouldnt give them to me. I even threatened that I may buy them over the internet if he wouldnt prescribe to me, and he just said " thats your choice, but a potentially dangerous one". I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening though, the earliest appointment I could get, so will see what happens then. Maybe if I go in packing a machine gun, he will take me seriously:whistle:
 
@Kay9

I'm glad that your daughter's pregnancy is progressing well. That's at least got to take a worry off your mind.

I do hope there's something that can knock back your present pain. I know you can start your wait till surgery in days, though, right?
 
Oh @Kay9 I had forgotten your other daughter was with you! I am so glad she's getting care from a wonderful mom and a medical team :)
Here's an over the counter sleep aid-- benadryl! It is an old antihistamine for allergies, but it can make a person very drowsy. I've never taken it, but it's what we give to a child with a bee sting, say.
My pain in the two weeks pre op became much greater-- I guess my hip was scared of surgery, or knew I was going to get rid of it and wanted revenge ... Also I had to go off my ibuprofen, which made things worse!
Every hour brings you closer to losing this horrible pain. Your OS will be better with the tablet management-- your pain will be under your control. While in hospital, do let the staff know the instant you hurt! I discovered by accident that I had to ASK for my narcotic every four hours. That was a shock, but once I knew to ask, the pills came like clockwork.



My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom