Very scared Newbie, lots of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg @Poppet that sounds terrible! Im sure I will be relieved when this is done, the same as you did. @agileHippie , yep that medical red tape rears its ugly head doesnt it? Its wrong, but understandable I guess.

@craftdee ,again thankyou, Your posts always make me feel you totally understand, and that things are going to be ok! @zauberflöte Im as guilty as you are in the responsibility department, I always wish someone would take over but I never seem able to step back and allow it!

I stayed in the car at the hospital today, then went to my GP this evening, he said I have a sore throat ( no kidding) but said I just have to wait for it to go, nothing He could give me. I hope this cold goes by Monday, because what will I do if it doesnt?! I cant have this op postponed, especially now. He could obviously see I was in a lot of pain and I told him I thought my hip had collapsed but he said I would be " writhing around in the floor in agony" if that was the case. I believe hes wrong and it has collapsed, But I didnt argue with him. He gave me Diazepam because he said its probably muscular. im not a doctor but I truly dont believe it is, and now Ive got a numb area over my hip?

Im in so much pain right now. I feel depressed and stressed and tearful. ive had hip pain for a long time but nothing like this, ever. Its extremely painful even just sitting still, yet alone if I move. 5 more nights to try to sleep through this, then RELIEF.
 
I'm gutted now, thinking that the hips collapsed
Don't fret, pet. It just means that now you know for certain that your hip needs doing!
no matter how much Tramadol or Co-codamol I take, nothing's touching it, or even close to dulling it.
I've often said, the first scientist who comes up with a medication that controls arthritic pain will get a Nobel Peace Prize!
I hope this cold goes by Monday, because what will I do if it doesn't?! I cant have this op postponed, especially now.
It's highly unlikely unless your nose is full of s__t and you have a chesty, productive cough (which means you are coughing up green stuff!)
I told him I thought my hip had collapsed but he said I would be " writhing around in the floor in agony" if that was the case. I believe he's wrong and it has collapsed,
You are right and he is wrong! There are degrees of this. What he has described is the stage 9 out of 10 stage. What you have is around the 5 out of 10 stage.
 
@Kay9 I feel so bad for you, I feel your agony. I'm sure your cough will be better by Monday. Can you get down in a tub of hot water? This always seems to help my pain. Hang in there okay, just a few more days to go and then this pain will be gone. I'll be thinking about you. In the meantime please just relax and just get through this the best you can, we are all here for you. Sending you lots of hugs your way!

Bluebell53


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine thankyou, Im reassured that my surgery wont be postponed, Im not coughing up green stuff, just a slight cough. Its been a nightmare since Saturday and Im holding on by the skin of my teeth, I wouldnt be able to deal with this pain any longer than I totally have to, so its good to know that by Monday this will be DONE!

I took the Diazepam last night anyway, even though I know its not muscular, because Im sure there is some muscular pain being caused somewhere by this...didnt do diddly squat though. Oh well. I did manage to sleep for just under 3 hours without waking though:thumb:.
Is this numb area Ive suddenly got due to the hip collapsing? ( I dont mind the numb area..its the only bit of the leg that doesnt seem to be hurting) My foot also seems to be at a bit of a strange angle, its kind of turned in and I cant turn it back out?
Im so glad I can come here and ask, I would be very scared without it.


@Bluebell53 thankyou, I would KILL for a soak in a bath! I only have a shower here, I miss having a long soak in a bath so much!
I read your post about your surgery being postponed, my heart goes out to you, stay strong, this will all be over for both of us soon.:yes:
 
@Kay9 you may have experienced the "very drowsy" side effect of the diazepam. I have been allowed to take a very small dose at bedtime ever since my son learned how to sleep at age 9. It is a life saver-- puts me right to sleep for 5 hours. Any sleep you can grab at this point is a good thing. Only three and a half days to go :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @Kay9 Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and that you have a cold.The same thing happened to me a few days before my surgery and like you I was devastated thinking that the op would be cancelled.I remember drinking loads of fluid as well as well as eating foods rich in vitamin c and zinc as advised by poppet on here.As well as that there were loads of people at church saying their prayers and the cold disappeared by the Monday in time for my surgery.I have read many posts since where the same thing has happened to others and I can't recall anyone getting cancelled.I am sure it happens due to pre op nerves and stress lowering our immune system.I do hope and pray that you manage to get rid of It
 
Hi @zauberflöte , yes I must admit I quite liked the Diazepam:snork:.
3 and a half days to go.....:bolt:. Soon I will be running like that:thumb:

@Kim22 thats very reassuring, thankyou. I guess stress makes us a bit prone to being run down and picking up bugs. Im both looking forward to and dreading Monday, in equal measures. Possibly dreading it slightly more though:shocked:.

Im still in a lot of pain but managing it a little better today. My arms ache from the sticks but at least im getting in some practice. Im supposed to be having a pedicure tomorrow but Im not sure how Im going to do that now, any touching of my foot hurts right up my leg:what: But I will see how it goes.

Thankyou everyone whose given me advice and support. You have helped me enormously. :flwrysmile:
 
Wow @Kay9 you have been through it, haven't you!! Your new pain sounds just devastating and the sleeplessness too.........I hope you get SOME decent sleep tonight and the other 3 nights to go before getting fixed on June 15. It's too bad your surgery can't be squeezed in sooner, but take whatever meds you have that are helping and relief is in sight. BEST of luck to you on surgery day.
 
@Kay9 just thinking about you today.. a couple of days now!! Hope you're doing well.

Bluebell53


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kay9 I've been following your story, such a lot going on for you. Not long now though and it will all be over and you will have your new hip.
I too had a cold a week before my op, I was so worried they would cancel. I dosed myself up on vitamin C, ate lots of healthy food and by the time I was due to go to hospital the cold had cleared. I still had a tickely cough, but nobody seemed worried about it, and I think it was more of a stress type thing, because as soon as I was out of recovery the tickle disappeared.
Wishing you the best for Monday, will be looking out for your recovery thread
 
My foot also seems to be at a bit of a strange angle, its kind of turned in and I cant turn it back out?
If your hip is no longer aligned correctly this will happen. Please don't worry - all temporary. Soon you will have that shiny new hip and all this bone on bone pain will be gone!
 
Wow Ive finally managed to wrestle the ipad off my Daughter! We only have this one between us and shes addicted to some game, so Im on borrowed time here....

@Sagefemme thankyou, I appreciate your kind words. Sleep isnt coming easy right now, but Im sure a diazepam tonight will help a little:)

@Bluebell53 thankyou, Im counting the days! I hope you get your "mole" situation sorted and its nothing worrying for you. Good luck:flwrysmile:

@Liznwiz thats very reassuring about your cough, and that they still did your op, i have a slight cough and Iwas concerned about that. Thankyou for your good wishes:thumb:

@Jaycey thankyou, I appreciate your reassurance about my foot, its very turned-in now and just looks, well, odd. And oh boy, I cant wait for this horrible pain to be gone!! No matter what pain I have after my op, Im sure its not going to be anything like this. Im not expecting to be pain-free but I know its not going to be like it is now. I always thought I had quite a high pain tolerance level, but this....its had me crying like a baby most days:boohoo:.
Having said that, Im getting more jittery by the day, I cant pretend Im not incredibly scared about Monday.

Thankyou again everyone. Im being kicked off the ipad now:nah:, Ive made a promise to my Daughter that she can have it as much as she wants for the next few days, if Im allowed to take it with me to the hospital on Monday:yes:. A deals a deal. :thumb: Its coming with me Monday....
 
Im back quickly while my Daughter is in the bathroom:heehee:.

Just a few quick questions for anyone who can answer, re recovery. As I have M.S, although good with it at the moment and have been for quite a long time, will that hinder my recovery at all? Plus, I have B12 injections as I cant absorbe it, will that make any difference ( I have missed a few....must get onto that!)

Thankyou anyone:thumb:
 
Hi @Kay9 I understand just how "jittery" you are. I made myself ill with worry, about EVERY aspect of the surgery and recovery.... I can HONESTLY say that not ONE element of it was anywhere NEAR as bad as I was expecting... post op pain was negligible (I have said to my hubby that the reason my pain shot up just before, literally the same time yours has, after a lessening a bit a month or so before that was to make me appreciate a) the need for the surgery and b) the success of it!

Those pre-op jitters were debilitating, I was VERY "shaky" (my husband would substitute "maniacal":yikes:) up to the anesthetic going in, but AS SOON AS I was back in my room all I felt was positive; so much of what I'd feared had come to naught; the pain was gone (good drugs had me pain free for days) I was up on two crutches a few hours after surgery and my toes pointed to the ceiling when I lay on my back.... THAT hadn't happened for a while (my foot was very turned in, after the "event" - the major collapse incident some weeks earlier - when I walked I had to sort of do an arc to get it off the ground... my son reckoned I looked like a lawnmower, the roller type :rotfl:) I just kept looking at it... and as I've said before, the "oddest" thing was that it didn't feel "odd"... not when I stood, sat, walked or lay down. It really did make me realize how many adjustments I'd made pre op.

I have a high pain threshold, by which I don't mean I'm "brave" or "strong"... I just mean I'm lucky enough to be able to tolerate a high level of pain, but it did have me in tears every day at the end; I called it my "lightning" pain, as compared to that awful constant grinding pain - which is it's own thing and not to be denigrated... it just ain't that breathtaking "lightning" pain

There is some pain after surgery, but it is NOTHING like the pain you're in now, and the thing that I kept getting told and didn't really believe until I experienced it, is that post op pain is controllable... and quite easily too. Everything is better post op... for a start so much of the stress is gone. All those "what if's" are answered... well actually most of them don't eventuate! and the things that DO come up you can deal with: Pre op you gauge how you think you'll cope against a background of pain and disability... after surgery the playing field has shifted... VERY much in your favour, so things are so much less of an issue.

Couple of days now, it's going to be a hard couple of days unfortunately... but you can start projecting "in so many HOURS" this pain will be gone... "Only two more, one more night where I'm terrified to roll over because of the pain"... seriously NOT LONG NOW

Thinking of you, from the other side of the world

Donna :friends:
 
Hi @Kay9
Nothing is as difficult as the waiting. To me the worst part was the waiting. I was acutely anxious and nervous to the extreme. But like Donna said nothing is actually as bad as anticipated. The pain was not too bad. i couldn't believe it. i would look at the scar which looks a bit dramatic and be surprised that I was not in absolute agony. I do not know about your specific circumstances but you must have been given special consideration in the
planning (?)

I bet your daughter will cope well with her/your laptop as a constant friend!

All the best wishes for Monday x
 
Will be thinking of you on Monday & hoping you have a great recovery...not long now x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
As I have M.S, although good with it at the moment and have been for quite a long time, will that hinder my recovery at all? Plus, I have B12 injections as I cant absorbe it, will that make any difference ( I have missed a few....must get onto that!)
Just be sure all this is on your hospital record. In fact, write this down and take a list of things you need to remember to tell staff with you on the day. This includes telling everyone you see that you are very nervous. They totally understand and will do everything they can to keep you calm.

Not long now!
 
@Kay9 only two more days to get through :) That is brilliant with the tablet and your daughter!!
As everybody is telling you, this waiting is the hardest part. For myself, I was not nervous--I save that for performing-- but I can attest to the fact that post op surgical pain is SO much different and less than what you have now. I am thinking back to my hysterectomy in 1989, where my immediate post op pain level was 10 for hours, even with morphine (which didn't touch the pain), and one was expected to be a hero about the pain meds. Fast fwd to 2013 when post op pain was zero, and in hospital never above 2. At home average pain well under 2, except a few times when I missed the med timing or my ice pack melted as I slept. You will be amazed!!
Thoughts and prayers for Monday!! :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@craftdee yes! Lightning pain, that describes it so well! It really takes your breath away!
Your posts always reassure me, you are so positive, I hope I can be like that:thumb:. While Im massively looking forward to being free of this horrible pain, im still very terrified of the actual op, but it helps to read that its never as bad as we expect. Those "what ifs" are probably the worst part of the waiting arnt they? But soon there will be no more " what ifs" to worry about hopefully. Unless i substitute them for " what ifs" of post surgery....in which case, I will be on here quicker than a rat up a drainpipe, asking questions again:yes:. Thanks for all your help craftdee, its very appreciated.

@copsham thankyou. I hope I can look at my scar and say the same as you:).
Re the M.S, I havnt really been given any special planning except to say that the fatigue will likely be worse and I will tire easily, and that due to weakness in my arms I may struggle with crutches/sticks. Im already finding that now, because Ive been using 2 sticks this last week, my arms are very sore. Ive also not got great grip in my hands, so thats proving to be a bit of a pain at the moment, I keep accidentally letting go of the sticks, maybe I can tie them to my hands:heehee:.


Thankyou @Hoppy Nanny , not long now, I will soon have a nice bling hip:thumb:

Thankyou @Jaycey yes I will be sure to tell anyone and everyone that Im soooo nervous! Maybe they will just knock me out while Im waiting, that would be good:praying::snork: Then I can just wake up and all is done! Result!
Im sure Im going to be in good hands though, :fingersx:. Its on my notes that I have M.S and other health problems so they are aware of everything. Its a good idea to write down stuff though and keep reminding people.

@zauberflöte I wish I was that calm! Can I ask what performing you did/do? I was a dancer and used to get a few pre-performance nerves, but nothing like this! Your hysterectomy sounds terrible:sad:, to be in pain like that and have nothing to help must have been scary, but like you said, that was a long time ago and Im so glad Im having this kind of op in this day and age when things have improved for patients. Imagine having surgery of any kind back in, for example, the Victorian times:yikes: How did they cope?
Thank god for anaesthesia and morphine is all I can say:thumb:. Thankyou for your thoughts and prayers.



Im not sure if I can steal the ipad now before Monday, :nah:My Daughter has said Im going back on " the deal" by using it now:cool:, so I think I need to hand it back to her, but if I dont manage to steal it again, I will be posting from the " other side" of surgery on Monday, so see you all over there! Thankyou hippy-friends, please keep me in your thoughts and do this...:fingersx::prayer:....for me. X
 
@Kay9 can you specially request a walker/frame?? You don't actually have to grasp that tightly, you can make your hands and arms comfortable. And-- it provides its own balance, and a hiding place for you, too. It win't fall down if you accidentally let loose of it. I was in love with mine, as my hands suffer from a lifetime of overuse.
Overuse as a flute player. I played in a symphony orchestra for 27 years, and that's alot of hours of practising! I retired early, but still perform often, sometimes even making good money :lol:
Do plan on spending plenty of time here post op!! You become relaxed and can enjoy yourself, and you can reassure scared newbies!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom