PKR UACats Navio Robotics PKR - Jan 4

Just wondering, if I had lateral partial knee replacement, is it normal for me to be having pain behind my kneecap on day 19?
 
I believe it is, especially if you've angered the soft tissue and over done things. Try icing the back of your knee, many have found that helps with pain behind the knee.
 
Let's tag @Jamie , but unless you fell or did something wonky I'm pretty sure it's your knee talking back to you. Even if you fell, its still usually the soft tissue that's damaged. So icing it today hasn't helped?
 
The pain is probably caused by angering the soft tissues and overdoing things. Use you ice and elevation to help and pain medication as needed to stay comfortable. In a few days you should start to move forward again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It may take more than one day to alleviate the pain. I know I had a full TKR and didn't know about BoneSmart, but I did very little the first month after my TKR. I just don't like pain.
 
@Jamie thanks. Disappointed in myself.
Aww.....Cats.... don't beat yourself up about this! We all overdo things. We all think we're going to heal faster and better than the norm. It's just human nature and that good ol' positive attitude that usually is a very beneficial thing. But with knee replacements, your body really is in charge of the recovery process. It can take some time and patience is what you'll need to focus on.

It is a huge surgery. You're not even 3 weeks out yet. Sometimes it helps to focus not on what you can't do, but on how far you've come. Look at how much you are able to do now compared to that first or second week! You really are doing very, very well. Give yourself a hug for that. And also realize that you are entering the time in recovery when "the blues" can hit with full force. This is not abnormal and it will pass. When you feel yourself getting down, have some fun things already identified you can do to perk up your spirits.....a movie you love, have a friend come over and bring lunch, sit outside if weather permits, go for a short but fun outing. Whatever floats your boat. And hang in there!!!
 
The pain you are feeling behind your kneecap is most likely related to the spurt of activity you've had the last couple of days. KarriB is right and it may take several days of consistent resting, icing, elevating and some pain meds before it improves.

If the pain behind your kneecap doesn't improve with rest and icing in 5-7 days, then we can talk about it again. And....during that time (assuming you do cut back on activity), if it gets worse instead of better, let us know. But right now....focus on being really good to your knee. It's still healing from surgery!
 
Thank you @Jamie I'm just so worried. My flexion has gone from 95 down to 40 and even after elevating, icing and compression for 36 hours, it's still hurting a lot. Swelling is no more than it was before. It doesn't hurt at all while motionless, but if I move it even the slightest, the pain is sharp. I have a message in to the OS to see what he says.
 
I agree that if it's worrying you this much, you should have a chat with your surgeon, if for no other reason than to ease your mind. You may not see the swelling that's impacting your ROM. The knee compartment is very compact and it doesn't take much fluid in there to have a significant impact. So, it's quite possible that you could lose that much movement. It can easily take days or weeks to bounce back from overdoing things. I hope your surgeon can reinforce that everything is okay with your implant and you just need to take it easier for several weeks.
 
Let us know what your OS says. Were you able to stay home again?
 
Still waiting on OS to contact me. Broke down and took an oxy at husband's urging.
 
@UACats70 I know you are worried but to be honest I thought you were moving too fast. Going back to work so early is really asking a lot of that knee. Stick to the mantras and try to let that knee calm down. Boring but necessary.
 
Lorie try the heavy ice unit you bought now, I found it is colder and may get deeper into your knee, 30-35 minutes is all it takes, i put my knee on my wife when I am don elevating to wake her. Heehee Hope you hear from OS and feel better soon


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
Ok. Talked to OSes NP. I have an appointment on Friday since doc is in surgery Wednesday and Thursday. Was told get back on crutches, stay off it except bathroom. Elevate and ice often. Doctor is hopeful that it is fluid that he can aspirate, but NP says it's not likely if the knee does not appear more swollen. I told the NP that it doesn't feel like the pain is on top of the patella but rather on the back side of it. Like something is snagging or not tracking right. I have zero pain while elevated, normal discomfort while weight bearing but sharp pain when bending even the slightest.

Fingers crossed it's something simple like fluid to be aspirated.
 
Let's hope the x-ray shows nothing is wrong or even the pain dissipates after a few days. I'm glad your doc got back to you and is fitting you in.
 
He's a really good doc. For the life of me, I can't phantom what it is....
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom