PKR UACats Navio Robotics PKR - Jan 4

Cats, in the video you posted, at about the 7:58 mark there is a section they title "Cutting." It is the part of the process Celle is referring to where your bones are cut. You can see the tools used by the surgeon are cutting, grinding and shaping both the femur and tibia to accept the implant components. Much like the Mako process which I am more familiar with, this system uses a computer to assist the surgeon in this process. You can also see that holes are drilled into the bone for the component pegs. Then a bit later the surgeon uses a mallet to tap the components in place, which is also what Celle was describing.

The video is a little deceptive in that you will note cuts in the video indicate they are not showing the entire procedure. It does not go quite as quickly as the video and there actually is quite a bit of time spent working with the bones to achieve that smooth surface that the surgeon talks about at the end.

This is the same basic process that is done with any knee replacement (PKR, TKR....computer assisted or not). Bones are cut and shaped and the implants are hammered in place. There can be some differences in time spent working with the bones or in soft tissue alignment, but the process is pretty much the same and it results in significant trauma both to your bones and the surrounding tissue.

If you talk with any medical professional who knows surgery, they will tell you that knee replacement surgery is one of the hardest on the body. In fact just a couple of months ago I was talking with a cardio thoracic surgeon who indicated knee replacements were even worse than the open heart surgery for a quadruple bypass that my husband was going through.

My point in detailing all this for you and anyone else reading your thread is that I want you to know your surgery was not just a "simple" procedure. It is major surgery and results in a lot of physical trauma that your body must be allowed to recover from. I think you're doing just fine with your recovery. You are less than 2 weeks out and coming along great. I just want you to recognize that some of the things you may feel now and in the next few weeks are related to your PKR. As long as you listen to what your body is telling you (rest, be more active, etc.), you'll be fine going forward. It's difficult to be patient when you have things you want to do. But patience is needed at times.....like when you're feeling all wonky and tired. You just can't rush the healing.
 
@UACats70, too funny, I did that as well. Did you keep your clippers around your neck? I lost the hearing in my left ear with that one.
 
Maybe the meds contribute to the hangover feeling too? I don't know what you're on though. Would you consider having your multivitamins via food rather than a pill? There appears to be a more beneficial effect in digesting the vitamins and minerals more directly from real food. I'm not some sort of food nut btw but I'd really thought the vitamin pill industry had been somewhat discredited. I used to take them and also cod liver oil capsules but found that there were risks from OD ing on the vitamin A in the fish oil. Cant win!!
 
I use a high quality one. They recommend it after vigorous exercise and or lifting, i agree with trying to get vitamins naturally , but our foods don't always achieve that, they say its alot different in Italy where the earth is not so over farmed, like here in the USA!
I think my fog or hangover diminished around week 5
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in on the same symptoms. I had a bit of fever, and got a Z-pack... Since then, the feverish part has gone away, but I still feel exhausted easily, and I do NOT want to wake up in the mornings.

For me, I am trying to look at this surgery a little differently. This is the only surgery where a portion of my body was cut out, and expected to heal with a pound of metal foreign body attached to it - something I don't think it's very keen about.

Also, I read a lot of medical journal articles prior to embarking on this quest - and you'd be surprised at how short a time ago, doctors would refuse to do this surgery on younger patients because outcomes were typically not that good. So I think Celle is correct that being "younger" may be a bit of a disadvantage.

All that being said vitamins are 'yum yum, eat' em up' in my book, and can't hurt. The rest (I figure) is just that word I dread so much - PATIENCE :skep:
 
but I still feel exhausted easily, and I do NOT want to wake up in the mornings.
I don't know why the concept of energy drain after a TKR or PKR is so hard for people to accept. Your knees and your bodies have suffered a major trauma. It takes time - lots of time - to recover from that. The article I have posted several times - Energy drain for TKRs - explains it clearly.

It takes a whole year for complete recovery and the energy drain, although it decreases gradually, can linger for as long as 6 months or so. Tiredness, sleepiness, exhaustion, mild fever, feeling hungover can all be symptoms of the energy drain.
 
I'm sorry, @Celle, I didn't mean to intimate that I don't accept that it's a symptom from the surgery - in fact, I most certainly DO accept that's what it is. It's a BIG surgery - like you, I've worked in the operating room and seen many many difficult surgeries. But few are as physically hard on the body as ortho knee, hip, and shoulder implant procedures.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong tone. I am certain my fatigue is due to the procedure.... Now whether I *like* it is a whole different story :wink:
 
Thanks @Jamie well explained. I also agree being younger is probably a bit of a disadvantage. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, the reason my knees are so bad is even after having a complete removal of a discoid meniscus, I still played sports at least 6 days a week. I played through pain and additional injuries. Even though I was due for PKR, I ran a 5K in September. People my age are really into extreme sports, iron man event, mud runners, spartan races, marathons, ultra-marathons... we're a nutty generation.

While I realize discomfort and swelling will happen over the recovery process, I am hoping that getting back on my supplements will ease the hangover feeling.

@mwetzel394 I kept the scissors in my handbag. I do remember going out for drinks on my birthday, ordering a lemon drop martini rimmed with sugar, having a drink and then realized I had sugar all over my lips and no way to lick it off. I forgot the name of the procedure, but I broke the end of my condyle and my maxillofacial surgeon had to cut out a piece of my jaw and move it down to actually create joint space.
 
One of the hardest things for most people to accept is that it just takes time to heal from this surgery--in terms of pain and in energy. I've concluded after 2 tkrs that the body is amazing at healing, but we have to give it a break to let it do its thing. :)

BTW, my OS used computer navigation for my first knee but not for my second. I'm not sure why. But both turned out well.
 
I have a team of nothing but engineers, I have given them the task of figuring out a way for me to elevate my leg so I can go into the office. Within 5 minutes they come back to me with removing the back of one of the office chairs and using PVC pipe and duct tape to attach it to my office chair. I think that will work!!!
 
This is what they sent me... something like this, not exact obviously

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170116_97d91fa68795c548bd49fedc26558967.jpg
 
Cool i have worked with out elevating, but I came back a bit later for you, that should be great as long as you dont need to get up


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@mwetzel394 - Oh yeah. Maybe we shouldn't attach it. Or if we do, make sure it can swing right/left so I can actually get out of the chair.
 
@UACats70, you will notice I added a spoiler to your YouTube. Not everybody relishes seeing real-life surgery - though I can't think for the life of me why not! It was the meaning of my life for 50 odd years! :heehee:
 
I'm sorry, @Celle, I didn't mean to intimate that I don't accept that it's a symptom from the surgery - in fact, I most certainly DO accept that's what it is. It's a BIG surgery
That's OK, Liz, @L.I.T - I actually found your post sensible and quite helpful.

@UACats70 - I love your engineers! How thoughtful of them to think of something like that. As someone suggested, it would probably be a good idea to make the leg support a bit more mobile, so it's easier to get into and out of. If you can also ice your knee, that will be a big help.
 
@Celle we accept the concept. We are just over it and don't want to be tired any more so can you please make it go away? Thanks. [emoji6]
 
Back
Top Bottom