PKR UACats Navio Robotics PKR - Jan 4

I start working from home on Monday and could totally use that! Nice!
 
Day 11 knee photo

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170115_76a89f020709fa105de0f2c75849f9b6.jpg
 
Thanks @RMasano - if I could just combat this fatigue. I'd really like to stop WFH and go into the office. Tomorrow I'm going to start back on my vitamin regimen. Hope that helps.
 
If you go back and read the article posted for you about energy drain, you'll see that fatigue is just part of recovery. It is weeks and sometimes months before that goes away completely. It happens with any surgery, not just joint replacements. It's not a vitamin issue....it just takes time.

Your body only has so much energy available and right now it's using a majority of it to heal. You get what is left over for the things you want to do like work and activities. When you feel that worn out feeling, it's your body telling you to take a nap and rest a bit. When you sleep is when you replenish energy the best. If you try and fight it or "work through" it, you will just end up with more fatigue.
 
@Jamie - thanks. I'm aware of the normal surgery fatigue. I've had many surgeries, most not listed in my signature because I only listed knee surgeries. I've never experienced this hungover feeling. Not just tired but headache, a little bit shakey, etc. I love what I do for a living and hackers wait for no one. [emoji16] I just want to get into the office with my team.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are experiencing more fatigue this time, because recovery from a knee replacement is different from recovery from other surgeries. You simply can't compare the recoveries. This one takes much longer. No matter how young and fit you are, your knee has had just as much trauma as the knee of an 80-year-old and it will take just as much time to recover fully.
Your energy will only come back slowly, as your knee recovers.
 
@RMasano it is weird. I had back to back jaw surgeries from breaking my jaw. That was the worst pain from surgery I've ever experienced. I had lots of fatigue from those surgeries but never this hungover feeling.
 
I know it may seem strange to you, but that "hangover" feeling is fatigue from surgery. Some people even experience nausea...headaches....crankiness....a whole host of symptoms. It is all part of the energy drain from this rather brutal surgery. The only "cure" is rest and time.
 
@RMasano it is weird. I had back to back jaw surgeries from breaking my jaw. That was the worst pain from surgery I've ever experienced. I had lots of fatigue from those surgeries but never this hungover feeling.


Sent from my iPad

Lorie , good multi, good fish oil , and a very good co e 10, thats what I have been taking


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@mwetzel394 I stopped all vitamins/supplements two weeks before surgery and haven't resumed. I think I will start back with everything tomorrow. I know good nutrition is pivotal to good healing.
 
@ucats70 they gave us a multivitamin in the hospital, so i kept taking them when i got home


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm sure that the jaw surgeries were very painful, but they didn't involve the large amount of cutting, sawing and pounding that a knee replacement takes. It really is brutal surgery, and very hard work for the surgeon.
You have had the ends of two large bones cut off and sawed to fit the prosthesis, then had hard metal objects hammered and cemented into them. That's every bit as much trauma as breaking a larger bone, with the added trauma of all your soft tissues being cut and handled. No wonder it takes a lot of energy to recover from.
 
Thank you, Lorie. I've seen that before. I've also worked in an operating theatre. Even with only the medial compartment of your knee replaced, you still had the ends of your femur and tibia cut and shaped, to fit the prosthesis, which was cemented and hammered into place.

It is still major surgery. And you can't expect to bounce back quickly.

You know, here on BoneSmart, we have encountered a lot of younger people, some of whom have had PKRs and some of whom have had TKRs. With a few exceptions, who recover fast, the majority complain of being discouraged because they aren't progressing as fast as they had expected to.

Unfortunately, for recovery from a knee replacement, being younger does not give you any advantage. If anything, older people tend to have easier recoveries and feel less pain.
 
Has the co q 10 helped @mwetzel394? I've been taking fish oil. I've been feeling the same symptoms as Lorie, which it sounds like are common. Feels almost a little flu-like for me minus the fever.
 
Back
Top Bottom