THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

So sorry to hear of your brother's situation. I hope you are able to help him.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hi @Granny Di ,
You are a very loving sister - helping your brother. I hope he will get better. Do keep us up to date.

With your report about the vacation in Peru and about your family - that wasn't too long at all. I find it very interesting when you report about your life. Yes - I have heard about Reit-im-Winkel. I used to ski in the Bavarian, the Austrian and the Swiss Alps when I was a child and lived in Munich. But what you practise is cross-country skiing, isn't it. I used to do down-hill skiing. Cross-country skiing is probably healthier - you don't have accidents easily like breaking legs, but it helps burn calories. It's probably less expensive also.
My family and me, we also used to walk up some of the mountains in the Bavarian Alps to the summit. Almost all people of Munich go hill walking like that - we call them "Münchner Hausberge" which translates into English: "The House Mountains of Munich". Now I live near Frankfurt and the Alps are too far awayfor me to go skiing. The Rhein-Main area is a good area for marathoning, cycling and triathlon with its forests and rivers. In fact, I think Frankfurt Ironman is the No 1 Ironman of Europe - they recruit athletes for the World's No 1 Ironman in Hawaii.
All the best for you and your brother
Warm regards - Constanze
 
5 km in the loppet (cross country ski race/event) in 29 minutes - visiting physio today for needling! :yahoo:
I had to take tylenol but I'm happy I could ski the event.
 
One year ago today I got my new hip and I managed to ski cross country 7 kms today -skate ski style. It was my second time skate skiing and it hurts more than classic style but I didn't end up with too many aches and pains.
I am still afraid of falling so I avoid difficult downhills when it is fast. But yahoo! I am outside doing things. Even picked up the dog poop in the yard today. Couldn't do that a year ago! :puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jamie -Hi Jamie. I would like to change the title of my thread to -The first year is over & I'm skiing.
Thanks!
 
I have had two falls while skiing cross country - one was a gentle fall as I looked back while gliding at the kids I was skiing with.
The second fall was one of the kind I hate. I was standing still and all of a sudden I was going down and on my op side hip. BANG! Trying to break my fall with my hand ended up hurting my wrist! So undignified! Anyway the next day I had no resultant aches so the hip is good.
 
Hi @Granny Di That was a good piece of luck. I'm glad you're not injured. We have no snow in the Rhine-Main area, but mornings are like winter - had to scrape the ice off the windscreen on my car this morning.

This is the month when I had my left hip replaced. Went jogging for about 2 hours in the forest near work yesterday. I'm just cold but my legs feel fine. Have a nice weekend - Constanze
 
Hi all! @Cynthia777 - the fall did not leave any lasting damage. I am fine and probably healed well enough that falls won't cause any problems. I still have pain in the op leg when I walk though but I have not told my dr. I should make an appointment for my one year checkup but I am waiting until I finish the stem cell procedure which is next week.
My younger brother has blood cancer so I am donating stem cells next week in Toronto. They say recovery will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I hope it is 2! This is another setback in recovery from the hip operation but I have to try to help my brother who is only 59. I worry about infection but am putting my faith in the medical team and hoping for the best. It is a peripheral process that takes the blood out of one arm, puts it through a machine to extract the stem cells, and then sends it back into me via my other arm.
Medicine is amazing these days and we are fortunate to have the wonderful teams that work so hard to make us healthy.
I will report back when I return. It should be interesting.
Cheers!
 
That's right @Granny Di, I think I read in an earlier post that you were doing that! You are a wonderful sister and I'm sure your brother is forever grateful. I pray that he will be cured. God Bless both of you. Both of you will be in my prayers. :prayer:
 
I completed the stem cell donation yesterday and it was not difficult or painful. I had the apheresis type where they take the blood out of one arm, put it through a machine that takes out the stem cells, and then they put your blood back in the other arm. The hardest part was sitting still for 5 hours and being unable to pee.
They will bring a bedpan if necessary but I was able to hang on.:happydance:
I would not consent to the bone marrow donation although they did take a sample for testing two weeks ago.
We are so fortunate to be have this wonderful medical technology.
 
@Granny Di, I'm very pleased your stem cell donation went all right. That's great of you.

I could not sit still for 5 hours because I'd get trouble with my blood circulation, and also - I fidget too much :). That's a characteristic.

Do you have age limits on blood/stem cell/bone marrow/blood donations in Canada? In Germany it's 67 for blood donations and for bone marrow donations its even 55 (my husband got rejected because of age, when they were helping a colleague at work who had leukaemia).

However, I believe that this isn't justified because many people in the older generation are fit and health conscious, and they are thinking of raising the age limit because they haven't got enough donors. Have a nice weekend. Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze -The age for donors has been raised to 70 so I just made it. I have 2 siblings over 70 and two younger than me but they were not a match. Unfortunately I noticed bruises on my thighs so I had to get blood work done and I have low platelets so I have to take it easy for a few days -no contact sports so I cannot play football or hockey. :bignono: Just kidding of course. I sure wish I could get back to normal - or a new normal. :bicycle1:
But my brother is wishing he could live so I am the lucky one.
Diane
 
Hi @Granny Di ,
How are you and your brother getting on? When will your brother receive the stem cells? Have you recovered from your donation appointment and how is your hip. Can you do exercise again?
I haven't posted on bonesmart for a while. Had a lot of work in my translator's job this week. The week before we were in southern England where my husband is from. Great place. I like the beautiful old bed & breakfast inns. One of these houses, in the South Downs (south of London), is 400 years old. Food was good, especially the breakfasts - nice for my husband, because he's a breakfast person - he is typically English from that point of view. Anyway the fact that England has a bad reputation for food is not justified - but you can gain weight because it's got calories. Made up for it by jogging with my daughter. We also went sightseeing in Cambridge (university and more), and punting on the river. The weather was fine, too.

Do carry on posting here. I'm very interested in stem cell research. I work at a German medicines authority that also does basic research in immunology, genetic engineering tissue engineering, and many other subjects of life science.

Nice Whitsun
Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze ! Good to hear from you. I haven't been on Bonesmart much either but I am feeling pretty energetic now and hoping to get biking when it warms up. We have been having a cold spring but it is supposed to be warm this weekend which we call May Run. Everyone goes camping, fishing and to open their cottages or camps. We will move to our cottage this weekend -it is only 35 kms away.
I checked my "training" log and this time last year I was walking 2 or 3 kms a day. Now I can do 5 to 8 but I must admit I do feel some aches and pains. Soft surfaces are best but hard to find. The ski trails are still wet.
I have been strengthening and stretching and hope to bike more this summer. I am trying to lose weight too. So all in all there is a big improvement from May 2015 but I still have work to do.
My brother acquired an infection which is not healing and they will not give him my stem cells until the infection is healed. Sort of a catch 22. He is in the hospital right now waiting for a specialist to do something.

My husband and I toured Ireland in 2005 and enjoyed the full breakfasts at the BandBs there. We did a lot of hiking and the breakfasts sustained us!
Keep in touch!
Diane
 
@Constanze Hello! It is still cold and rainy here, so much so that the birds do not seem to be nesting. It was warmer in March. My brother received the stem cells on May 27 and his white cells are so good that he may be able to leave the hospital and move to the cancer lodge next week so he is pretty pumped. Amazing doctors we have here. Hope your spring is going well!
Diane
 
Hi @Granny Di - I'm so happy your brother received the stem cells and seems to be better now. I wish him all the best, good recovery and a long life. It's supposed to be summer here. Not much of a summer - thunderstorms and houses getting flooded out in Germany - even a tornado in Hamburg. That's were one of my daughters lives and I hope she's all right. We want to visit her tomorrow.
It was warmer in eary May when we went to England for 1 week. Had some great jobs with my other daughter then. And from the 2nd to the 4th week in May, I participated in the city cycling programme of Germany's Climate Organisation like last year - except this year it was in May and I was freezing. Not so much fun, and I'm also beginning to find cycling to work boring. I want to explore new long distance routes but I have little time - a lot of work and my husband wants to see me from time to time :). He doen't go on long cycle trips - only short ones. Hope to do some swimming in my lake near work again in July (I think I reported about that last year). The weather here is slowly getting better - I hope it's fine in Canada in your area so you can go cycling.
Best wishes - Constanze
 
@Granny Di so happy to hear your brother's treatment is working! I just saw a great documentary by filmmaker Eric Merola about the worldwide use of fetal stem cell injections. It’s called The God Cells, you can watch the trailer on their website. I also know that since the film was just being released they are having a few screenings this week.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom