THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

I have not been here for months and I forget how it works. haha I forgot my password -had computer problems and just busy with life. Skiing has been fun until I got the cough. It really has been the worst winter ever here with rain turning to ice and very little snow. It is very cold now which is unusual for March but we finally have blue skies and sunshine.
My hip is very good and I have been walking, snowshoeing and cross country skiing -up to 13 kms.
My glutes have become stronger and are firing now that I make myself use them when I am exercising.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I will try to catch up with March 2015 hippies later - have to go skiing now. Life is great!
 
Hi @Granny Di - so pleased to read some news from you - lovely. I'm glad you enjoyed your skiing. If you've read my lastest posts on my thread, you've probably read about my new half-marathon success: 2 hours, 10 minutes, 38 seconds.
In January/February this year, we went to New Zealand (southern island) - great place - the mountains, the fiords, the lakes - also did a guided "Lord of the Ring" tour. Went canooing on the river Avon at Christchurch with my husband (after 40 years!!!). Then on the way back: 10 day stay in Australia to warm up (southern New Zealand experienced a particularly cold summer this year with a lot of rain).
Now back at work for about 1 1/2 months. Any kind of tiredness and/or discomfort I'm experiencing is due to work not hip-related.
Life is great. Let's enjoy it. Greetings from Germany where spring has started :)
Constanze
 
WOW! Life IS great! I haven't checked any threads but will now. I cannot believe how fast you are running. Amazing! It is two years for us @Constanze and we are doing well. I have friends who are doing the same trip you did in January and are now in Melbourne .
I find it is a slow process to recovery and it happens in small stages but it happens if you keep active. I have no pain in my good hip at all so I now think that my hip was injured from falls. I am happy that I won't have to have my other hip done. At least I doubt it. I am not taking any meds at all and although my back hurts sometimes it is much better than it was.
So good to hear that all is good with you!
 
Hi @Granny Di
It's interesting that you say you thought your hip was injured because of a fall.

How much do you know about this. Have doctors ever told you that that's possible? A physiotherapist at the gym where I did my training believes that some bad hips are caused by an minor injury in the cartilage like a hair-line crack, and then the cartilage gets whittled away until there is none left in later life.

In fact, my hip history is similar to yours. When I was first diagnosed, the left hip showed grade IV arthritis in the left hip joint while there was no sign of arthritis in the right one. At anothr appointment, a doctor said I didn't have displasia.

I remember how I was teased and bullied as a primary school and secondary school child for my clumsy gait and had difficulty with gymnastics at school, while I was always strong in swimming and endurance sport (hill walking etc.). Could it be that there was something wrong with my left hip then? Just an interesting thought.

Enjoy the skiing. May your friends have fun during their journey to the southern hemisphere. I won't go there again for a while and I miss Australia and New Zealand very much.

Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze ! Another thing I forgot to mention was that my right hip would "go out" (for want of a better term) when I was about 11 to 13 - puberty I suppose. I often carried my baby brother on my hip and walked about a km to get the mail which may have not been the best for bone growth and development .
Anyhow- I am skiing -life is great and I am thankful that I live in such a great country with terrific health care.
Happy St Patrick's Day!
 
Happy New Year @Granny Di,
Neither of us have posted here for a while. I wonder how you are getting on with all the snow. I've heard that temperatures in Canada and the US have been the coldest in the past few weeks ever since they have started recording the weather. I hope you are safe in Ontario. Do you still ski? We've had relatively mild weather in the Frankfurt area (around 10°C) and it's raining.
Take care
Constanze
 
Hello! I haven't been here for years! Just working on getting another hip op. First one was in 2015 and I was fine until this summer and it is getting worse. I can only walk for about 15 minutes and then I have to sit down.
The good news is that I had several good years. Cross country skiing is my sport and I slowly increased my activity level.
2015 I-had hip op - no skiing
2016 - managed 260 kms
2017 -skied about 800 kms
2018 skied 850 kms
2019 - our club hosted the Canadian Masters Championships so I entered the 70-74 age class and won the 10 kms classic race. Slow but I did it. The hardest part is getting over the fear of falling and dislocating on the fast downhills.
2020- skied around 800 kms but I didn't ski as far each outing as my hip was starting to hurt.
2021- my hip pain worsened so much that I can only be on my feet for about 20 minutes and that's with pain meds. So I am trying to get surgery asap.
I will be 75 in May and I only have a few good years left so the sooner the better.
Cheers!
 
@Granny Di Welcome back! though I am sorry you are again having hip pain! Is it the left hip that is now giving you trouble? Wow your skiing accomplishments are amazing :yay: My brother is 71 and still skis frequently -down hill rather than cross country.
 
Hi @Granny Di ,
I'm very happy to read a message from you, though I'm sorry you're in pain. I hope you will get an appointment for your other hip operation as soon as possible and that recovery will be as successful as your first recovery. Will there be a problem getting a date considering the COVID-19 pandemic. I know that many surgeries had to be post-pone in Germany, the UK and the US, which is terrible. Anyway, I hope, you'll get an appointment soon. Fingers crossed.
Congratulations also for your skiing successes. So far, my other hip hasn't needed replacing. Remember, I also had surgery in 2015. However, I had a bicycle accident and fractured my left tibia head in 2019. Recovery was longer than for the hip but perfect. I'm back to running and cycling. I want to go swimming but the pools are closed in the whole of Germany because of the Corona restrictions. I hope I can swim in my favourite lake in my wet suit next month.
Do carry on reporting on Bonesmart. Hugs from Constanze
 
Hello Constanze!
I never expected to hear from you as I thought you would be healthy and busy enjoying life. So glad to hear that you are back to running and cycling. It was a three month wait for an MRI mainly because of covid and covid has set back all hospital elective surgeries.
Such a horrible year for everyone and especially the young people who are missing their sporting and other events. Pools were closed here but just opened. Rules are so restrictive that not many people are using the. pool.
You must have been helping everyone on this board. So kind of you!
I will keep in touch.
 
Hi @Granny Di, I was also very happy to read a message from you here. Surely, my hip is fine. A hip op, cataract op, and tibia head fracture after bicycle accident - all those things didn't stop me from resuming my triathlon sport. But then came the pandemic and I got really depressed. Running and cycling alone is not forbidden during lock-down in Germany, but after a while, one misses the motivation from other athletes and friends. I have one friend from work who runs with me from time to time. I've been working from home ever since March 2020 and miss the real life contact from my colleagues. Skype and Webex can't replace that for me. But many people are quite happy living a life in isolation, and don't miss travelling either.

What about you? Have you had this MRI yet, which you were waiting for? Have you got an appointment for you other hip replacement yet? I've heard if you have metal in your body, you shouldn't have an MRT because of the magnetism. They would only give you an X-ray or a CT (which is also a form of x-ray). So what is your hip replacement made of? Mine is a titanium shaft and ceramic ball. The socket has a ceramic lining.

It's still cold here (below freezing in the morning) so I haven't been swimming in the lake in my wet suit yet. Maybe next month. What's the weather like in Canada?

Hugs from Constanze
 
Hi Constanze,
I would not like to work from home as I would miss the people for sure. I have a group of women to walk and ski with, and with the pandemic and a very sore hip I was unable to meet them in person although we had some contact online and on phone. I really miss the gab fest and the laughter and teasing that comes with a group of women with similar interests.
I still find it amazing that you can run!
I have an MRI of my back which is in terrible shape (March 3 2021). I meet my family doctor on Wednesday but I have asked to be referred to a OS in Sudbury (google maps?) who does the anterior approach. Recovery is said to be quicker and I only have a few good (?) years left!
The OS here in Timmins Ontario does not do that approach.
We have had a strange winter with very little snow and unusually warm temps. Last year we had record snow and a long ski season. But we may still get a heavy dump of snow yet.
I am going to be 75 in May and I didn't really think of myself as old until the Covid and all we hear is about the "most vulnerable" at risk of dying.
Suddenly my hair is white ( hair salons closed) my skin is wrinkled and I can't walk without pain!

I feel fortunate that I was able to ski cross country with all my grandchildren, bike with them and spend time at the cottage with them. I wanted to live to 100 but not anymore.

I am reading over my posts and I'm amazed at all I have forgotten.These posts will be a big help if I manage to get an operation.

Did you take a break from this forum and then come back when you had the bike injury?

When are you able to retire? I retired at 55 in 2001 which now seems young to me. But I was able to collect a good pension and I wanted to travel. I am so glad I did retire young.
We get the old age pension at 65 and we can collect the Canada Pension ( paid out of our paycheque) at 60 plus I get my teachers' pension. Pretty good!

I am looking forward to getting a covid vaccine soon!
 
Hi @Granny Di
Wow, 75 years old and skiing. You're very athletic.

I will retire this coming July - 1 year earlier than would have been normal, but I can retire now, based on the number of years I've been working. The reason is because my husband and me want to move to England where he is from. He has already bought a lovely house in Lincoln. I like Lincoln very much because of its culture and history.

About this forum: I never did take a break from it. I like the contact with people who have recovered/are recovering/will recover from hip OPs, even if it's just virtual. These are contacts all over the world. For a while, I was the one who encouraged people in Bonesmart, for example with regard to running, quite a controversial issue for people with hip replacements. In fact, the old school of thought among hip surgeons is not to jog/run on a hip replacement, but there is no medical evidence that this would wear out the new hip.

Well it looks as if I won't get a COVID-19 vaccination for a while and Germany is in store for another lock-down, because cases are rising again. There is a shortage of vaccine, and this will remain for a while. Very sad, because I miss my friends, my daughters, the travelling, running with my running group from work (I'm only allowed to run alone or with one friend which I did yesterday), my Russian course, and swimming. Maybe there will be more vaccinations in April. I was hoping to participate in the Frankfurt Ironman in June. The town where I work, Langen near Frankfurt, hosts the swimming of the Ironman. There is a lake the Langener Waldsee (Langen Forest Lake) in the forest nearby where the evening lake swimming event takes place, which I always join in summer. And that lake is also the lake where the Ironman takes place.

So what's the situation in Canada? Have some towns opened up again (schools, shops, swimming pools, sport). Do you have a mask mandate? In Brisbane, the south-east of Australia, where my second daughter lives, everything is normal and they don't even have to wear a mask.

Have you had your vaccination yet?

Best of luck for your next hip replacement.

Constanze
 
Happy Easter @Granny Di !:SUNsmile:!
I hope you are doing fine. Have you got a date for your second hip replacement yet?
I hope all is well in Canada.
Hugs from Constanze
 
Hey @Granny Di
I see you’re having your Left THR on Monday. I’d like to wish you all the best and hope you’ll share your recovery journey with us. You can either do it here, or if you prefer start a new thread. I’ll leave the Recovery Guidelines here as a refresher and will look forward to hearing from you once you’re resting comfortably at home.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Hi @Granny Di , Good luck for your left THR on Monday! I'd enjoy reading from you how it went and wish you all the best and a good & quick recovery.
Things are open in Germany now, although for many activities, cafés, restaurants, and events, you need to be vaccinated twice or recovered from COVID19. So I'm vaccinated and am back to going to the swimming pool and my Russian class at a local evening school for adults at Mainz. Tried Frankfurt Ironman again, but had to stop again after half of it because of slow cycle speed (same old story). I did manage the virtual Frankfurt marathon though, even if I was very slow. I'm retired from my employed job as a translator but still do free-lance work. The nicest news is, I have 2 grandkids now from 2 of my daughters - a boy (3 months old) and a girl (almost 1 month old). Best wishes from Constanze
 
Hi @Granny Di , Good luck for your left THR on Monday! I'd enjoy reading from you how it went and wish you all the best and a good & quick recovery.
Things are open in Germany now, although for many activities, cafés, restaurants, and events, you need to be vaccinated twice or recovered from COVID19. So I'm vaccinated and am back to going to the swimming pool and my Russian class at a local evening school for adults at Mainz. Tried Frankfurt Ironman again, but had to stop again after half of it because of slow cycle speed (same old story). I did manage the virtual Frankfurt marathon though, even if I was very slow. I'm retired from my employed job as a translator but still do free-lance work. The nicest news is, I have 2 grandkids now from 2 of my daughters - a boy (3 months old) and a girl (almost 1 month old). Best wishes from Constanze

"I have 2 grandkids." Congratulations Constanze! Grandkids are so much fun- more so when they are young. My 5 are teens now and not as happy to hang out with the old folks. I cant remember how to reply to posts so hope you see this.
 
OOPS! Pressed and bingo! You will love watching the kids grow and develop. I have been able to bike and ski with my Grandkids -even this summer we did a few 15 kms together.
Covid has been so hard on the kids. I sure wish it would end.
So I am having a bad day today - too much pain when walking around the house so I am going to sit for a few days and just do my sitting exercises.
It takes so long to recover! I did manage to increase my skiing to 800 kms a year until last year. Then I sat and watched people walk by my house as they were all home from work and school and it got so many people out walking and skiing.
I hope this anterior approach heals much faster because as at 75 I only have a few good years left.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom