THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

Skied 8 kms today, slowly but taking in the scenery of snow covered trees and huge flakes falling covering up the snowshoe hare and lynx tracks. It felt so good to be out, physically and mentally.
Keep moving!
 
@Determined - I just read on Debra's thread that you are mall walking. I find I get sore when I walk on hard surfaces for a long time- say two hours of shopping. Do you find you get sore at all on hard surfaces? I just got back from a vacation and I am catching up on things -will read your thread later.
Diane
 
I just got back from vacationing in Peru and I set off the security alarms with my new hip. I totally forgot that it could happen the first time so I didn't tell the security guard. Had a good laugh later when I remembered that could happen. I had to have a pat down!
I went boogie boarding in the surf once -got a mouthful of sand but it was fun.
Boogie on!
 
Look at you @Granny Di .... Skiing, boogie boarding, vacationing in Peru! What a difference a year makes! I am so happy you are living life again! Keep it up, girl! YOU ROCK!
:wowspring::spin:
 
Well I overdid it I guess because I was hurting on the weekend so I took it easy reading All the Light We Cannot See -excellent book. The pain is in the same place it was after my puppy body-checked me -the groin, the lower back and the side of my thigh. I may go for dry needling again if it doesn't subside. I did ski today but went slowly so it was okay.
 
Bad news! My 70 pound puppy body checked me again on the 10th and I have been hurting ever since. My physio is away so I had a massage to try to loosen up the muscle spasms which helped but I am depressed and angry. I was doing so well. I have found that I can ski 10 kms if it is fast easy skiing but if it is slow I only do 5 clicks.
My goal is to ski 20 kms on the anniversary of my surgery March 23. I won't be able to do that if my back keeps going into spasms when I ski.
This is a record for myself but I hope it is valuable for someone who is going through THRs.
All the best to everyone!
 
I had another massage yesterday and I have many tight muscles on my op side- hamstring, back, top of thigh, shin. I will get some needling on Monday when my physio returns. I am worried because I have more pain than previously. I think it is just soft tissue and I dont think there is other damage or infection.. I talked to the physio at the joint assessment clinic and he said my other hip looks pretty good and I have no pain so I don't need another replacement yet. Whew! I hope I don't have to go through that again. I am taking a few days to rest -no walking or skiing for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I know I tend to overdo it.
 
Just catching up on @Granny Di. Sounds like you have really been challenging that 'kinda' new hip! I've been trying new activities -- went kayaking and getting out was a challenge! I still get the sensation that there is some breaking down and rebuilding in the soft tissues around my new hip. I'm playing 18 holes of golf -- gaining more stamina as its been 10 mos since my surgery. I still get achy when I've done too much sitting -- but a good reminder to keep moving. well girl, it sounds like you are listening to your body! Any chance you can get into a heated pool? That's always my go to when I've done too much. Watch out for that puppy, please!
 
Hi @wcgirl - thanks for stopping by. Do you walk or take a cart when golfing? 18 holes is a long way even if you drive a cart so you are making progress. Yes I head to a tub of hot water with epsom salts:bath: to ease the aching muscles. I found my energy level increased around 10 months too - this surgery sure has an energy drain. I feel like I have aged 10 years in one. Maybe in my sub conscious I just want to keep hubby doing household chores like he had to last winter. :yes: There is a fine line between doing too much and not doing enough - i.e. too much sitting. :bignono: Thanks for stopping by! I write these posts to keep track of my progress... or lack of. :bored:
I am looking forward to summer and cottage life.
Cheers!
 
Hello hello hello @Granny Di and @wcgirl ,

So pleased to get some news from you - my fellow bonesmarties from last spring. I see you have both been busy. Granny Di, I'm sure you'll recover from too much activity and will achieve your skiing target of 20 km. The stiffness and pain is probably all soft tissue. Resting is the answer.

... and while you've been active, I have also challenged that "sort of" new hip. Back on the exercise bike after about 20 weeks, swimming after 3 weeks, real cycling (longer distances) after 4 weeks, back to work - full time - after 6, cycling to work (33 km one way), travelling to Cairns, Australia, in July. My husband bought a holiday house there and I help him follow up the furnishing of the new house, shopping for a few things, a lot of walking with heavy stuff in the rucksack, back to work after this holiday.

July/August - slowly back to running (I'm a marathon runner with 10 marathons): phasing it in with the run-walk-run method, then increasing distances.

Then in January travelling to New Zealand - had a phantastic time in the New Zealand summer and also saw the scenery where the films Lord of the Ring and The Hobbit were made. Encouraged hubby to come for a 2 hour hike with me to a waterfall near the Ruapehu mountain in the northern island - then on the way back: flying to Cairns Australia again: We had to see that everything was fine with the house and actually stayed in it this time. Had an 8km jog along the Esplanade in Cairns in tropical temperatures. Home again and getting used to the freezing cold of a German winter.

February: Winter half-marathon in the forest near Mörfelden (another town near where I live and around 20 kms from Frankfurt); finsihed in 2 hours 15 minutes. It was actually warmer (12°C) during the run and it rained. Actually cycled there and back, and it was the wind that was bothering me on the way back; my legs were just fine.

Now the overdoing part of it: Not the actual half-marathon. After that I felt fine. It was when I was running the Tuesday after that Sunday in the forest near Langen in my lunch hour as usual. After that run, my left inner thigh hurt a bit. It meant I was back to running too soon. So I just had a rest from running for a week and did other things just walking, swimming and exercise on the machines at the gym. I remembered the bonesmart rules. Just rest when it hurts. It worked. Now I'm fine and today I ran 10 km in the forest. It was phantastic - quick and no pain.

Granny Di I like that bird in your Avatar. Is it a bull finch? Are they common in Canada where you live? I like song birds. I see them when I jog along. In the Rhine-Main area we have blue tits, great tits, gold finches, robins, black caps, chaffinches and many more.

Hope you'r out of pain by now and wish you all the best - Constanze
 
@Constanze -- I think I want to be like you! But I am going to be 70 in May and my jogging days are over. My hiking days may be over too because I do want to save my good. You were smart to back off for a bit when you hurt. You have had a fantastic recovery -Gold Medal! - and I assume it is because you were so strong and fit to begin with. It is strange how this strikes suddenly as in your case. My hip was hurting for years but I just kept going thinking it was an arthritis flare-up.
Yes the avatar is a finch- we call them Pine Grosbeaks -the males are red and the females are grey and golden.
I love taking photos of birds but my good camera died in Peru after one picture so I have been frustrated using my old point and shoot. Still researching my next camera investment. We do not have tits where I live - not sure f they are anywhere in Canada. In the winter at the feeder we have black capped chickadees, redpolls, 3 kinds of woodpeckers, blue jays, European starlings (an invasive species) and a few others.
My 3 grandchildren in Lima Peru are amazingly brave surfers. They entered a competition after I left and the oldest won 2 silver medals in girls under 12, and the 6 year old came 5th in his group. The waves were really big when I was there and they love it- no fear at all. They took lessons 3 times a week from a very well run program and the comp was live streamed. Live on my computer from Peru -a third world country! I was impressed!
My daughter is an athlete and completed at the World Junior cross country ski championships in the early nineties in Reit-im-winkle Germany. So she has promoted a healthy active lifestyle for her children, it gives them such confidence and they look great. They are returning to Canada in July after almost 5 years in Lima and they don't want to leave the surfing.
Anyway I went on too long...bragging grandma! haha
Keep up your amazing recovery and travel. You are an inspiration to keep active at whatever level is possible!
Diane
 
@Josephine I have a question for you as my research on the forum found no answers. My brother has been diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndrome and I have just been identified as a match for a bone marrow transplant.
I plan to phone my surgeon on Monday but I thought I would see if you have ever had any experience with this.
I had a TRHR on March 23 last year and I am doing well. I also had a dental implant yesterday and I am on antibiotics now of course.
I believe I would have a needle inserted into my good hip to retrieve bone marrow although I have not heard the details from the hospital that will be doing the procedure. In your opinion would this be safe?
Any experience or opinion you have would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Diane
 
You mean safe from your hip point of view? Entirely safe. Such procedures are done under sterile conditions so there is no fear of infection. Otherwise, I have no knowledge or experience of this condition. But I think your giving bone marrow to your brother this way is an awesome act of love. I do hope it is successful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom