THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

@StemResear -I will check out the film. Thanks for the notice about it. The doctors said my brother had the best stem cells possible and I am 70 years old -all the proteins matched perfectly. Age 65 used to be the cutoff so my brother is very lucky although he is not all better yet -still has a long way to go - but his counts are going up.
Do you have a new hip?
 
I had my longest bike ride since autumn of 2014 - 20 km - and I did an interval workout on my bike yesterday - 6 X 20 seconds. Getting fitter is my goal!
Funny aches and pains I still have. If i put all of my weight on my op leg and then switch to the good leg I feel pain shoot through my op leg and it goes away right away, thank goodness. I thought it would be gone by now. I still have to do exercises for my leg, back and core to get stronger but all in all I am getting fitter.
If anyone reads this please take it as encouragement that the body does heal.
Diane
 
I have been having occasional groin pain lately so I have made an appointment with my surgeon. I sure hope it isn't anything serious. It has been 18 months since my operation and I have never had groin or hip pain until now. I do have pain in my quad above my knee and I have had that since the surgery. My physio gave me exercises to do but they do not keep the pain, knots and tightness away for long.
I will post when I have had a consultation.
Diane
 
Hi @Granny Di , I wish you all the best for your appointment at your surgeon's and hope the groin pain isn't serious. Please also read my post on my recovery thread where I also wished you good luck and posted an update. On that post, I forgot to ask you: How is your brother - did the stem cell transplantation agree with him.
Best - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze !
Thanks for asking about my brother. The stem cells took to the point of him producing his own blood cells again but he now has graft vs host disease that is giving him diarrhoea so he is very weak and has lost 60 pounds. He also acquired c. difficile which is proving difficult to cure.
Diane
 
Sad news arrived Monday morning as my brother passed away after getting pneumonia while toughing out almost one year of suffering. His suffering is over now.
On a happier note I just had my longest walk in two years -9.2 kms in 2 hours on soft sandy roads. My back is hurting a bit -spasming. Yesterday I had the best walk in two years -7.5 in 1:25 on a harder surface with hills. I had no pain except for the usual tight hamstring.
So stick with it and keep walking. You will get better.
 
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about your brother @Granny Di. I'm thinking of you and your family.

Congratulations on your last two long walks. That's a success. You're very persevering. Keep on walking well. Take care. Best wishes from Constanze
 
@Granny Di so very sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.
I think often about my hip buddies and hope they are doing well. Congratulations on the walking. I know you enjoy the great outdoors and it's beauty. Take care Diane. Sending good thoughts your way. Barb
 
Thanks @sunbunny @Constanze @froggymom @Nana757 and @Cynthia777 for your kind thoughts. We had a memorial on Thanksgiving weekend with many family members -cousins I hadn't seen in years. It was intimate and special.
On Sunday I hiked with grandchildren and other family members on a beautiful but rocky 3.5 km trail and I really felt like accomplished something. I have my energy back after 18 months! Looking forward to skiing!
Here are some photos from our hike.
[Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
    DSC02079.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 256
  • [Bonesmart.org] Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!
    DSC02099.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 236
Sorry to hear about your brother Granny District. Remembering you and your family in my prayers.
 
My energy is back! I would say it took at least a year and a half before I felt energetic and could put in several busy days in a row. Skiing has started and I am doing 10 kms a day, 5 days a week. It is helping with the thigh pain and with my back pain although I do have some groin pain. I have made an appointment with an osteopath in January to see if my back can be treated.
I feel very fortunate and want to wish everyone a very happy Christmas with your loved ones near or in your thoughts or in cyberspace. :tree::treestar:
Stay positive! Hips can get better!
 
That's wonderful to hear, @Granny Di! Thrilled that you are able to have plenty of energy and do all of that skiing! Hope all of your pains get better. May you and yours have lovely holidays as well!
 
Hello @Granny Di, I haven't been on for a while. First I want send my sympathies to you on your brothers passing. So very sad.
I am happy to hear you are doing well walking. I don't do enough myself but working it into my schedule more. It's been a little over a year 1/2 for me. I did want to say that I put a pair of walking shoes last month that I hadn't worn for a long time and was getting pain in my other hip! I have had no pain anywhere so this surprised me. Then I looked at the wear pattern and threw them out. There was no fixing them unfortunately. It was the worn shoes worn to the way I used to walk when I was compensating for a bad hip!
I did find that walking on sand really worked my hips so I'm wondering if the shifty ground is what bothered you. I'm still a little shy on that.
I love how you push through! I'm still doing pool exercises when I feel stiff.
It is so good to see many of our hipster buddies here on your thread and hear how you are all managing. I play in a golf league and so many of us boomers have new hips and/or knees and we are so grateful for the them.
Wishing you all a Happy Holiday Season and a Happy New Year.
 
Hello @Granny Di - I was so pleased to read a message on bonesmart from you on Friday. It cheered me up since I've been grumpy because of the gloomy and dismal weather over here and me having to get up and go to work at 5:30 a.m. and all the rest :). That's why it helps to thing about other people who are cheerful and don't grumble. I'd better stop and be cheerful! I'm so pleased you're fully recovered. Enjoy the skiing. I'm sure the landscape in the part of Canada where you live is beautiful. It must be freezing, though, but with snow, it must look very nice. In my home in the Rhine-Main area near Frankfurt in Germany, we haven't got any snow at the moment and it's a few degrees above freezing, but very grey, dull, and overcast. So I stick to running, walking, cycling and swimming. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2017. Love from Constanze
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom